mothergreen
12-12-2007, 8:57 PM
ar15,jambog,bad reloads,a firearm isnt a car

DHiggmo
12-12-2007, 8:58 PM
Head separation :eek:

ar15barrels
12-12-2007, 9:21 PM
As if we have not seen this video enough times in the last few months...
That version is MUCH shorter than the regular one on Youtube though.
The full length one shows his poor malfunction clearance skills leading up to the KB.
There is also discussion about who loaded the ammo.

ar15barrels
12-12-2007, 9:24 PM
Head separation :eek:

I have had a few head seperations in AR's and I never felt anything.
The only reason I even knew it happened is because the next round won't chamber when you try to shove it into the chamber with the remaining front half of the seperated case.

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/case-seperation.jpg

DHiggmo
12-12-2007, 9:39 PM
I have had a few head seperations in AR's and I never felt anything.
The only reason I even knew it happened is because the next round won't chamber when you try to shove it into the chamber with the remaining front half of the seperated case.

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/case-seperation.jpg

I have had a few in-battery head separations too. It looks like he had a out of battery head separation directing hot gas down in magazine and blowing it out.;)

ETD1010
12-12-2007, 9:46 PM
and what the heck is with the heading saying that "apparantly this is a comming thing with M16s." psh.

rksimple
12-13-2007, 6:38 AM
I have had a few in-battery head separations too. It looks like he had a out of battery head separation directing hot gas down in magazine and blowing it out.;)

Randall will I'm sure explain it better, but, its a bit difficult to have an AR fire out of battery. In fact, unless the bolt's locked up, the firing pin can't reach the primer. Look for Randall's posts and diagrams on the subject.

ar15barrels
12-13-2007, 7:14 AM
Randall will I'm sure explain it better, but, its a bit difficult to have an AR fire out of battery. In fact, unless the bolt's locked up, the firing pin can't reach the primer. Look for Randall's posts and diagrams on the subject.

Only a high primer can cause an out-of-battery discharge in a locked-breech AR due to the firing pin not being able to protrude through the boltface unless the bolt is fully locked into the barrel extension.

A case failure while the bolt is fully locked can do exactly what you see in the video, venting gas back around the bolt and cleaning out the magazine internals.

The really exciting case failures happen at the rear of the case (un-supported), not up in the middle of the case body where seperations usually occur.
Seperations don't vent the pressure because they usually break during extraction, after the pressure in the barrel has resided.

Soldier415
12-13-2007, 7:16 AM
two words.

WOLF AMMO