PDA

View Full Version : Prescription Opioids and Buying Firearms?

Archenemy550
12-12-2007, 6:36 PM
Quick Question for anyone who can help!

I am currently on Narcotics. (Narcotics for this purpose shall mean only the medical definition and are to include; Morphine, Opium, Opium Derivatives, Coedeine, Thebaine and Semi-Synthetic/Fully Synthetic Opiates/Opioids and thier alkoloids)
I.E. Morphine, Morphine Sulfate, Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Codeine, Methadone, Fentanil, Fentanyl, Pethidine, Dextropropoxyphene, Tramadol, Opium, Dihydrocodone, Diamorphine, Oxymorphone, Hydromorphone, Dihydrocodeine, Buprenorphine, Butorphanol, Ketobemidone, Levorphanol, Nicomorphine, Tapentadol, etc...

Now I am not getting these Narcotics nor using then illegally at all. This means I do not sell them, give them away for sale, give them away for free or use them other then directed. They are prescribed by a California & DEA liscensed physcian out of an actual CA Doctors office and I have a real need for them.
The need is I get extreme stomach pains that have been lasting in excess of 1 year. Tons of test's have been preformed on me, however none have uncovered the actual problem; Tests include; Urine Test's, Blood Test's, Ultrasounds, X-Rays, CT Scans, MRI's, Stool Samples, Upper G.I., Lower G.I. and a battery of questions. Let is also be know that I am not an alcoholic, I do not use nicotine and besides Opiates (+ a few others) I have never touched a DEA scheduled drug w/o a valid prescription. (I.e. Cannabis Sativa, d-Methamphetamine Hydrochloride, Lysergic Acid Diethylamide, Phencyclidine, Amphetamines, Cocaine, Crack Cocaine, etc...)

The medication I am taking is 160mg Oxycodone in a sustained release tablet meant to last 12 hours. The medication is also known as Oxycontin (Purdue Pharma). I am also taking Oral Morphine, know as Oramorph IR (Instant Release) in a high concentration liquid; 30mg/mL @ 2 - 3 mL per dose depending on my pain.
I will also add that on occasion I am prescribed 10mg Zolpidem Tartrate or 15mg Temazepam for sleep aids.

My question is this, can I legally still purchase a firearm? Or would I be considered addicted to "Narcotics" and not alloud to? How about Ammunition, and can I still go shooting?
I will be on this for at least a month, all the way up to 6 months. I still function like normal, actually better due to the fact that I have no pain, and most people can not tell that I am on meds.

Again, I have script for ALL my meds and do NOT abuse them.

any info would be much appreciated :D

DedEye
12-12-2007, 6:38 PM
I don't see why not.

bwiese
12-12-2007, 6:43 PM
It certainly appears you are not addicted to narcotics. You are taking medically prescribed doses, and your pain medicine regimen is continually monitored by your doctor. Your supply of medication is from a lawful provider in reasonable dosages, probably in small amounts that stop accumulation.

"Addiction" implies inappropriate use, and taking of the narcotics for its own sake - as opposed to the reasons for which a doctor would prescribe them.

Appears you have not been determined guilty for any drug crime, entered into diversion, or been 5150'd where you're a danger to yourself/others. You're just a normal person with a medical condition requiring medicine.

Therefore you are good to go - shoot, buy guns, ammo.

Do be careful as Oxy is a nasty drug - I've heard that if it's chewed instead of swallowed (time-release) it provides a dangerous high and triggers addictive behavior.

Also use care about driving - no matter if you feel you're square behind the wheel if something happens you could be regarded as 'under the influence' of medication (you can have a DUI even for cold medicine!) But it appears you're on the ball from the details above, and already know that.

I do believe people undergoing Oxycontin treatment may be at elevated risk for theft/assault/stealing of drugs, so use care and know your environment and who's around you. This drug appears to be the #1 reason now why drugstores are robbed or broken into, and I think there are now elevated security standards for dispensing it.

I wish you well with your pain reduction and hope you get back into good shape soon. If you're unfortunately having to stay up late at night, might as well browse Calguns ;)

redneckshootist
12-12-2007, 6:45 PM
I would think you should be fine since they are perscription meds. I am on perscription med right now and Iam able to buy firearms.

Roccobro
12-12-2007, 6:59 PM
I agree you'd be fine in purchasing and shooting anything legally firearm related.

However...

I am concerned about 2 things. 1) You list your condition and tests and medicines. This is none of our business and I'd recommend you amend your post for your safety and well being. And 2) the DWI warning from Mr. B. Weise is spot on. I've seen a person legally using one of the listed narcotics for a seriousbroken back, Mom is an officer of the same department that initiated the stop and she confirmed the facts- yet he was still arrested. DUI is DUI. The "caution while operating heavy machinery" should be a hell of a lot more clear if it can send you to jail and/or court over it's lawful use.

Stay safe my friend!

Justin

stator
12-12-2007, 7:09 PM
I would think you should be fine since they are perscription meds. I am on perscription med right now and Iam able to buy firearms.

Does not matter - federal requirements is one must not be an unlawful or addicted to narcotics. California requires not being addicted to narcotics.

I would guess that since you are taking self-directed morphine, odds are good that you are addicted. You should ask the CA-DOJ-BOF for clarification.

From my experience with that amount of prescribed narcotics, I hope you are trolling for your sake. If not, god bless and find some friends with many different types of firearms and shoot them until your heart is content while you can.

RRangel
12-12-2007, 7:13 PM
Get a second opinion. Doctors do make mistakes. Believe me I know.

ImOverHere
12-12-2007, 7:14 PM
The need is I get extreme stomach pains that have been lasting in excess of 1 year.

My understanding of the medical literature on the subject - and 20+ years of working in the medical field with many patients regularly using such drugs - indicates that the vast majority of patients using narcotics and their derivatives do ~not~ become addicted. Instead, those who have previously exhibited a predisposition to addictive behaviors and/or come to use these drugs for the "high" - rather than in an attempt to better tolerate severe pain - are those who show the highest liklihood of becoming addicted.

You post indicates an understanding of the variables involved - I wouldn't be worried. And there is no legal definition of addiction of which I'm aware, so I also wouldn't be concerned with meeting the standards of, say, a Form 4473.

Good luck to you in controlling your pain.

Archenemy550
12-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the well wishes guys, I love Calguns! Always brightens my day and keeps me informed :)

As mentioned by 'ImOverHere' above ^, I do NOT get "high" when I take my meds. This is because I use them to control pain. Studies have shown that people who actually use opiates for true pain releif generally do not become addicted to them, get high off of them, or abuse them.

I myself was scared about taking Time Release Oxycodone (Oxycontin) at first due to the social stigma and the way the media/Government demonizes pain patients. Eventually I said screw what people think, I really need this and since then it has alloud me to live my life like a normal human. Really, it gave me my life back. The meds and having a hobby such as firearms, reading and computers really helps my mood/morale and it may sound weird, but my pain :D

(Also, I am not on Oral Liquid Morphine anymore, only the Oxy's. Plus I have recently requested a small downgrade in dosage. From the 160mg Time Release tablets to the 80mg Time Release tablets. I also plan on only taking 1 pill per day instead of 2. My hope is to ween myself off slowly. ) Thanks for all the info guys, and again thanks for your well wishes!
*Thanks too Bill also for a healthy wealth of info and an interest in what I said!

pullnshoot25
12-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Have you seen a massage therapist, acupuncturist or other alternative medicine practitioner? You might try to do that. PM me if you have any questions, I have a fair amount of knowledge in that area.

ViPER395
12-13-2007, 2:17 PM
They drug test at the gun store?

Screw them. Even if I were on prescription meds I wouldn't indicate it, ask the gun retailer about it, or even worry about it.

notice my avatar. I'm wonder if he could buy a gun if he wanted to. He's got more oxy experience than any of us.

Fjold
12-13-2007, 2:51 PM
"Addiction" implies inappropriate use, and taking of the narcotics for its own sake - as opposed to the reasons for which a doctor would prescribe them.

Addiction is defined as : compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful.

There is no distinction between legal and illegal either medically or in the dictionary.

The intent of the law may be one thing but we do not live by the intent of the law, only on the letter of the law.

tyrist
12-13-2007, 7:25 PM
If you are using prescription medication as directed by a doctor you are not considered a drug addict in any sense of the word.

However you should not drive or operate machinery including firearms while under the influence of them.