PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever think

5150-417
12-12-2007, 12:25 PM
High cap mags will ever be legal in cali?

TurboFall
12-12-2007, 12:30 PM
I hope so, but I sincerely doubt it.

Charliegone
12-12-2007, 12:32 PM
IF Heller vs. DC goes in our favor maybe we'll get em, with permits or something of that sort (knowing California...).

zatoh
12-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Do you mean "standard" capacity?

Legal to buy? Not by us "regular" joes. Gotta "speshul".
Legal to won? As far as I know if you had them before 2000 then you are good to go. OTW, sorry.
Legal to own parts? Buy as may as you want. Just don't put them together.I do feel your pain - especially when you see AK 30 rounders and FAL 20 rounders @$7 and under (about what I paid pre-2000). Eventually those will be gone and the prices will go up.

This state will probably never end its slide to the left. The only change in a anti-gun "law" that positively affected us I can recall within recent history was the waiting period change from 2 weeks to 10 days. Everything else has been neutral at best and mostly for the worse.

ohsmily
12-12-2007, 12:50 PM
High cap mags will ever be legal in cali?

They are legal. I and others individually own hundreds of magazines for various firearms. Why do you think they are illegal?

If you mean illegal to import or expose for sale from out of state, that is an illegal act. The magazines themselves are not illegal.

bobfried
12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Well all of my high cap mags are certainly legal, that hasn't change.

As far as this state ever allowing me to buy NEW (to me) magazines over 10 rounds in capacity than probably no. Of course there's apparently something in the works by the hive mind on this site that might change it all.

If you were to go and read up on large capacity magazines you would realize that:

1) Ownership is legal
2) Buying is not strictly prohibited
3) Selling is allowed with the proper license

There are some juju mixed in to make it all confusing and potentially legally damaging to someone who tries. But with enough legal muscle and research I'm sure they'll (the hive mind) come up with something. Keep your hats on tight, along with SCOTUS hearing 2A issues and an amazing group of people here at work CA law is in for a rude awakening. If you want proof of "OUR" success, look at what we are buying today versus 2 years ago.

dondo
12-12-2007, 12:56 PM
If you want proof of "OUR" success, look at what we are buying today versus 2 years ago.
This needs to be etched in stone. Hats off to all who have paved the way.

milsurpshooter
12-12-2007, 12:57 PM
plus no law against finding them. so there could be a box full of them in your garage rite now. you'll never know til you look.

5150-417
12-12-2007, 1:02 PM
so how do you buy them and own them legally, if you didn't own any before 2000?

milsurpshooter
12-12-2007, 1:05 PM
you have to have a ffl 01 or be an leo.

bobfried
12-12-2007, 1:06 PM

That is what being worked out right now as far as I know. I am only speculating by the nuggets dropped here and there by the people "in the know". I do not have the legal nor monetary tenacity to explore the question, but others do and are.

ohsmily

Short of finding them somewhere, there is no technically legal way for a non-dealer non-LEO to acquire new ones...yet...sit tight.

milsurpshooter
you can have as many in your possession "as long as you had b4 jan 1 2000."

5150-417
12-12-2007, 1:08 PM
That is what being worked out right now as far as I know. I am only speculating by the nuggets dropped here and there by the people "in the know". I do not have the legal nor monetary tenacity to explore the question, but others do and are.

well i hope this day comes soon, because I'm tired of using 30 rounders on my dads mini-14 he had since the early 90's, i need some for my rifles. I can easily acquire them but i want them legally.

milsurpshooter
12-12-2007, 1:11 PM
look YOU CAN FIND THEM IN A BOX OF YOUR DADS STUFF PERFECTLY LEGAL.

bwiese
12-12-2007, 1:20 PM
Many folks owned hicap mags before 1/1/2000 and continue to own & use them legally.

Further acquisition or transfer post-1/1/2000 is the problem.

look YOU CAN FIND THEM IN A BOX OF YOUR DADS STUFF PERFECTLY LEGAL.

Uh, no, that could well be couched as an illegal transfer.

Hard to prove, though - but most people indeed talk themselves into jail, too.

I honestly think this thread should not further discuss 'evasive' methods that are in the style of "illegal, but prove it" as we are not well-served by such discussions.

There are indeed 'compliant' methods that have been discussed awhile back that will require some setup/organization, and it will take time. So let's hold off for now Until The Bell Rings.

I will again add that fixed mag setup on OLLs must be 10rds or less anyway - seems like people may be forgetting this, and triggering one of the alternate definitions of generic AWs.

supersonic
12-12-2007, 3:01 PM

I honestly think this thread should not further discuss 'evasive' methods that are in the style of "illegal, but prove it" as we are not well-served by such discussions.

+100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:iagree:

Mize
12-12-2007, 3:16 PM
People who "find" hicap mags, just might "find" themselves in prison. If YOU (not your dad) didn't own them before the ban, then YOU cannot own them now. Join the NRA, stay informed, and buy a lot of 10 round mags until, and if things change.

AKman
12-12-2007, 3:29 PM
plus no law against finding them. so there could be a box full of them in your garage rite now. you'll never know til you look.

I looked in my garage and sure enough I found a box full of hicap mags. Before the law was passed I bought several mags for every applicable firearm I owned or thought I might buy in the future.

12-12-2007, 3:35 PM

Regular guys don't...

What Just Happened?
12-12-2007, 5:14 PM
Well, you can move out of CA. Set up residence somewhere else. Buy all the stuff you want and then after a couple years move back to CA. I'm pretty sure that's legal.

I wish the standard capacity magazines would become legal again. I find myself outgunned at steel shoots where I'm competing with a guy who owns 2 33 round mags for his GLOCK 17 and I'm stuck with 10 rounders.

supersonic
12-12-2007, 5:31 PM
I looked in my garage and sure enough I found a box full of hicap mags. Before the law was passed I bought several mags for every applicable firearm I owned or thought I might buy in the future.

Same Same!!!:D

Dilinger23
12-12-2007, 5:35 PM
I dont understand ....hi cap mag...10 round mag dont make the gun less dangerous...i also want to own a hi cap mag to have a full capability of the firearm.:no:

DedEye
12-12-2007, 5:41 PM
Just be patient!

Dilinger23
12-12-2007, 5:50 PM
Thanks....DedEye...by the way nice Avatar...

8200rpm
12-12-2007, 5:53 PM
I dont understand ....hi cap mag...10 round mag dont make the gun less dangerous...i also want to own a hi cap mag to have a full capability of the firearm.:no:

These laws were passed by the people of this state to keep HIGH capacity ammunition feeding devices out of the hands of criminals.

There is absolutely no reason for a normal person to own a clip holding more than 10 bullets.

These devices allow criminals to fire indiscriminately from the hip while in a moving vehicle while shooting cops, children, and the children of cops, and children who want to be cops. Why would you any sane person want a tool of destruction? Do you people maim animals for fun, light stuff on fire for entertainment, and wet your beds?

More children die from the 11th round fired from a gun without reloading than the first ten rounds combined! You guntards are doing the world a major disservice and an egregious injustice with your idiotic, juvenile hobby.

retired
12-12-2007, 6:24 PM
What Just Happened, the following penal code section: 12020 (a) (2) might cause some problems with that idea. It doesn't make a difference how long you live out of state.

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

The bolding is mine. Bringing a large capacity magazine into this state from another state, would be importing. It doesn't just refer to a business bringing it in.

I'll give a different example on another part of that section. Per the atty. general's office, if you were to take a XD 40cal mag and bend the lips so it will accept 9mm rounds, you have now "manufactured" an illegal mag. That is because the mag will now hold 12 rounds of 9mm.

It is legal in other states, because I know of others on the net who have said they have done it. It is not legal here tho.

Now, I only called the AG because someone on another site was wondering if they could do it. I knew it; just wanted to confirm it.

dondo
12-12-2007, 6:35 PM
Do you people maim animals for fun, light stuff on fire for entertainment, and wet your beds?

Guilty on all three counts.

hoffmang
12-12-2007, 6:44 PM
Well, you can move out of CA. Set up residence somewhere else. Buy all the stuff you want and then after a couple years move back to CA. I'm pretty sure that's legal.

I wish the standard capacity magazines would become legal again. I find myself outgunned at steel shoots where I'm competing with a guy who owns 2 33 round mags for his GLOCK 17 and I'm stuck with 10 rounders.

That is not legal.

There are options and there will be more options soon, but please don't speculate or spread false legal information.

You may only import large-capacity magazines that you owned in California before 2000.

-Gene