PDA

View Full Version : When do I have to show reg papers?

savasyn
12-12-2007, 1:01 PM
I have a number of registered AWs that I occasionally take to the range. Out of curiosity, to whom do I have to show proof of registration to, if asked?

Would uniformed officers technically need a warrant? What about range employees? I would assume that most places don't allow illegal AWs and would want to see proof if they thought is was such.

I'm not looking to challenge anyone or anything, I'm just curious what the scope of my rights are in this area.

Thanks!

bwiese
12-12-2007, 1:16 PM
In theory, you never have to show your AW reg papers - because you don't have to carry them.

Cops can run AW regs thru their MDT terminals. The law specifically enjoins them from talking about AW reg/owner info en clair over the air.

In practice, it's probably a good idea to carry a copy or reduced-size copy. (AR15 A2 buttstocks are real handy for this :) )

Because of inaccuracies in DOJ AW database - with warped make/models and despite serial #s - there's a slight chance that cop could think a reg'd AW wasn't, so having some official paper can help dispel this.

Having your AW reg # memorized is helpful too.

savasyn
12-12-2007, 1:21 PM
Got it. I always carry a copy in each of my AW cases.

If you don't have to show them or don't have them on you, can an officer take your rifle if he suspects it of being illegal?

bwiese
12-12-2007, 1:29 PM
Got it. I always carry a copy in each of my AW cases.

If you don't have to show them or don't have them on you, can an officer take your rifle if he suspects it of being illegal?

If you insist your rifle is a legal reg'd AW and the officer refuses to run it and seizes gun/arrests you, he has an interesting calculation to make concerning his home equity.

From a practical standpoint, if you're a legit looking guy, assert your AW is reg'd with DOJ it probably won't go beyond there, esp if you quote your reg #. If it goes beyond that point, you can either give him some paper, or he can run it on his MDT.

Now, as a further not, the AFIS database and/or MDT access to it may not always run 24/7, and MDT data access may be "not good" out in the boonies where people are likely to be shooting.... so yes, paperwork can be helpful there.

Some specific gov't-operated shooting ranges that are admin'd by Sheriff's Dept or Parks & Rec Depts may also ask for reg paperwork to allow you to shoot your reg'd AW at the range as condition of entry.

Pthfndr
12-12-2007, 7:08 PM
If you insist your rifle is a legal reg'd AW and the officer refuses to run it and seizes gun/arrests you, he has an interesting calculation to make concerning his home equity.

That made me laugh. Interesting way to put it. :)

aklon
12-12-2007, 7:11 PM

He shyouldn't suspect anything: he can do a check right there on t his MDT.

OTOH, if you are in this situation, and you tell him it is legally owned and he checks, hope and pray he takes your rifle anyway. Then find a good lawyer. About a year later, you'll never have to work again.

scrat
12-12-2007, 7:16 PM
When i go to the range I take my extended magazines. Yep hi cap magazines. Take 3 of them. in one of my rifle cases i also keep the paperwork of some of my firearms. Along with a copy of the reciept from 1989 from when i originally purchased the Hi Cap magazines. I have never been questioned about shooting hi cap magazines. However if i ever do i am ready. The law says they need to have the burden of proof on me having purchased. The magazines after the ban. You can go with out paper work. Then they still need the burden of proof. But why make matters worst. Why get myself in that situation. I take the paperwork with me so that i will never be in that situation.

CSACANNONEER
12-12-2007, 7:32 PM
I've heard of private ranges wanting to see paperwork. If it's their policy, I guess you'ld need to show it or not use their facilities. On the otherhand, I work part time at a range and it's not my job to verify the legality of every gun that shows up. The exception to this rule would be NFA items. If you want to shoot them at my range, you better be able to prove that you legally have them. Yes, legally owned/possessed subguns do exist ic Ca.