View Full Version : Rural resident shoots at suspected burglar

tenpercentfirearms
12-11-2007, 10:02 PM
http://www.bakersfield.com/hourly_news/story/308490.html

Rural resident shoots at suspected burglar
BY STEVEN MAYER, Californian staff writer
e-mail: smayer@bakersfield.com | Tuesday, Dec 11 2007 9:30 PM
Last Updated: Tuesday, Dec 11 2007 9:32 PM

Another Bakersfield resident has fired a gun at an alleged intruder.

More video from Bakersfield.com:

A homeowner in the 7200 block of Lindsay Road in rural southwest Bakersfield armed himself with a handgun Monday evening and fired a shot at a stranger trespassing in his fenced yard, the Kern County Sheriff's Department reported Tuesday.

Several sheriff's deputies descended on the residence at about 7 p.m. after the department received a report of shots being fired.

The homeowner, 54-year-old Glen Richardson, said he was in his house Monday evening when he heard the dogs barking in his backyard. Because he had been the victim of several prior thefts, he armed himself with a handgun and then went to the yard to investigate.

Outside, Richardson saw a man at the window of his son's house, which is also on the property. The screen had been removed, but the window had not been opened.

"I laid my gun on the corner of the house," Richardson said, showing the stance. "He turned and reached behind him and pulled a silver pistol from his waistband at the small of his back."

The man reportedly started to raise the gun in Richardson's direction.

"I'm a hunter. I know what a gun looks like," Richardson said. "I shot for his leg. If I hit him, I don't know."

Richardson fired just one shot, and the man reportedly ran, jumped the fence and continued running. Deputies and a police dog searched the area but were unable to find the suspect.

When they inspected the residence, deputies found evidence of the attempted break-in, the Sheriff's Department reported in a news release.

Deputies could not determine whether the man was hit by Richardson's bullet, but they found no blood nor any other indicators, according to the department.

Asked if he thought the bullet struck the man, Richardson remained thoughtful.

"I hope not," he said. "But I wasn't aiming for his gut. I wasn't out to kill the man.

"You've got to live with it," he said of taking a human life. "It's not like shooting an animal."

The rural neighborhood, south of Taft Highway and west of Ashe Road, has changed much in recent years as new homes and subdivisions have replaced the prime farmland that once dominated the area.

Neighbor George Michel has lived in the area for 38 years, long before the ranchettes and custom homes sprouted on the land where cotton and alfalfa once grew.

Burglaries and theft were rare in those days, he said. But as the rim of the city grew ever closer, more property crimes followed.

"I don't blame him," Michel said of his neighbor. "If more of that went on, people would hesitate to break into homes."

"It's just a way of life today," the 72-year-old added. "You just have to protect yourself. You have to be alert."

If Richardson's bullet had hit the intruder, and the gun turned out to be a cell phone or something else, Michel said, could Richardson be facing charges?

"I think he would," he said. "I've often thought I should have lived in the 1800s."

Monday's incident was the second in just over a month in which an area resident used a gun to repel an intruder.

On Nov. 5, Bakersfield resident Steve Stewart shot and killed an intruder in his northwest Bakersfield home, sparking an investigation that eventually led to five arrests in what sheriff's officials believe was a bizarre murder-for-hire scheme.

Richardson's situation appears to be much simpler.

"I moved out here to enjoy myself," he said. "I'm not going to let this interfere with that."

The SoCal Gunner
12-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Good going. Have a link to the article of the previous shooting mentioned at the bottom?

odesskiy
12-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Holy crap! He sees the guy raising a gun and he aims at the guy's legs? He must be truly in a hurry to meet his creator...

mds2004
12-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Good ol Bakersfield

Fjold
12-12-2007, 6:32 AM
Friends of mine live two houses away from the shooter's house and their side window looks right at the converted garage (The son's house) that was the site of the alleged attempted burglary.

A couple of years ago that same shooter claimed to have seen someone breaking into his car in broad daylight and put multiple bullet holes into it. Other neighbors who were outside at the same time with a view of his home saw no one in the area.

USN CHIEF
12-12-2007, 8:21 AM
[url]The man reportedly started to raise the gun in Richardson's direction.

"I'm a hunter. I know what a gun looks like," Richardson said. "I shot for his leg. If I hit him, I don't know."

Always point at center mass:D, the Deadly Force Triangle was there. Intent, Oportunity and Capability:eek: CENTER MASS

milsurpshooter
12-12-2007, 8:54 AM
at least the media can't make him out to be a bloodthirsty whacko.

Rob P.
12-12-2007, 11:34 AM
My wife's horses (both hers and my "ex" horse) are boarded just around the corner from the scene of the shooting. It's a very rural area with small enclaves of homes clustered together for the most part although, as the article says, the area is growing with ranchettes and McMansions. The newer homes in the area SCREAM "money" and the edge of the city which is expanding in that direction isn't the best (although not the worst either). Both the northwest and the southwest areas are new areas of the city with lots of new homes being built (until the housing bust). Mega opportunities for the bad element and the property crimes rate in those areas is growing.

ETD1010
12-12-2007, 2:02 PM
If Richardson's bullet had hit the intruder, and the gun turned out to be a cell phone or something else, Michel said, could Richardson be facing charges?

Well that just sucks... it's okay for the police to use deadly force if a set of keys looks like a weapon. . . how is this any different, especially if a CRIME was taking place by the intruder??????