PDA

View Full Version : How do you report a lost or stolen handgun?

pnkssbtz
12-10-2007, 7:32 PM
Disclaimer: I did a search for "reporting lost or stolen gun" and got 2 pages of political posts...

So my father was cleaning up his office (he was moving to our new building) this weekend and he keeps a PPK at his office for defense since we've had an embezzler (over $30k) and several robberies for cash in the past.

I brought in an extra pistol pouch for him and he cased the pistol to transport it to his other office. He apparently put it in a box of junk to take to his car but got sidetracked with a phonecall. Some people were helping him and mistook the box for trash (well it was junk...) and chucked it in the dumpster... PPK and all...

So my question is: how do I report the PPK as lost or stolen. Apparently he doesn't have a copy of the serial number and he can't remember if he bought it before or after '91.

P.S. The case was locked, but it was a soft case and the pistol was not loaded.

Patriot
12-10-2007, 7:38 PM
I hear that San Francisco, Berkeley, Richmond, Sacramento, Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Oxnard, Simi Valley, Point Hueneme, and Thousand Oaks have those new lost/stolen handguns laws...if you live in one of those cities, might want to see what the law says (72 hours to report, e.g.) because the clock could be ticking.

E Pluribus Unum
12-10-2007, 7:39 PM
How do I do it?

I don't because I never lose my guns.

If you are asking "How does one report a lost or stolen handgun" that is a question for your local police department. Call them out and they will do a police report on a stolen gun. That should be enough; If you know the shop it was purchased from and the time frame pay them a couple bucks to find the original paperwork.

pnkssbtz
12-10-2007, 7:49 PM
How do I do it?

I don't because I never lose my guns.

If you are asking "How does one report a lost or stolen handgun" that is a question for your local police department. Call them out and they will do a police report on a stolen gun. That should be enough; If you know the shop it was purchased from and the time frame pay them a couple bucks to find the original paperwork.
Thanks EPU, that is what I was asking. And I agree with the sentiment of your first 2 lines.

But alas, we don't choose our fathers... :rolleyes:

E Pluribus Unum
12-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks EPU, that is what I was asking. And I agree with the sentiment of your first 2 lines.

But alas, we don't choose our fathers... :rolleyes:

I was not slamming your father.... I was teasing you about your grammar... :)

"How do you report your firearm stolen" is incorrect. You are literally asking me how I do it; because I have never done it the question is not applicable.

The correct way is "How does ONE report HIS firearm stolen". With all the spelling Nazis on this board, I figured I would step up and be a grammar Nazi in an ostentatious fashion. Condescending behavior makes my miserable self feel just slightly better for that split second; you know, kind of like my verbal morning coffee. ;)

Bobula
12-11-2007, 11:14 AM
call the popo, you should be out emptying the contents of that dumpster though

Rob P.
12-11-2007, 12:00 PM
IThe correct way is "How does ONE report HIS firearm stolen". With all the spelling Nazis on this board, I figured I would step up and be a grammar Nazi in an ostentatious fashion. Condescending behavior makes my miserable self feel just slightly better for that split second; you know, kind of like my verbal morning coffee. ;)

Ummm, Ahem.

It should be "How does one report THAT THEIR firearm HAS BEEN stolen?"

:rolleyes: Grammar Nazi's :rolleyes: Sheesh!

E Pluribus Unum
12-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Ummm, Ahem.

:rolleyes: Grammar Nazi's :rolleyes: Sheesh!

Actually, grammatically speaking the first was correct.

The reference is of the firearm's serial number in the DOJ database.

To "report a firearm stolen" is in common usage so it is correct to use it as such.

Are you still in community college? :)

It most definitely should be his... not their.

1064chubbs
12-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Are you guys offering classes:p

E Pluribus Unum
12-11-2007, 1:00 PM
Are you guys offering classes:p

Be careful which class you attend... one is correct and the other is not. :)