PDA

View Full Version : City of Sacramento Ammo log

vf111
12-10-2007, 6:50 PM
I just read over the Sacramento ammo log ordinance passed in May 2007. It states that sellers of ammo must keep a log & thumbprint of people buying ammo. Since the city doesn't have jurisdiction over sellers in Sacramento County I was wondering if mail order ammo sales are exempt? I recall there's a federal law that protects interstate commerce and prevents willy-nilly local laws from impeding such?

RAD-CDPII
12-10-2007, 7:07 PM
Isn't Sacatomatos one of those citys that you can not ship ammo to?

Anthonysmanifesto
12-10-2007, 8:04 PM
I just read over the Sacramento ammo log ordinance passed in May 2007. It states that sellers of ammo must keep a log & thumbprint of people buying ammo. Since the city doesn't have jurisdiction over sellers in Sacramento County I was wondering if mail order ammo sales are exempt? I recall there's a federal law that protects interstate commerce and prevents willy-nilly local laws from impeding such?

These are great questions and comments.

we sacramentans hope to bring more information as to the results of these ordinances in early 2008.

RRangel
12-10-2007, 8:10 PM
These are great questions and comments.

we sacramentans hope to bring more information as to the results of these ordinances in early 2008.

Well, in Los Angeles according to authorities it has helped to accomplish nothing, but it does discourage people from buying within the city. Don't expect anything being that it's just more of the same 2nd tier citizen treatment that liberals give to gun owners.

Archenemy550
12-10-2007, 9:04 PM
argh, that makes me want to vomit.

I would not even buy ammo in Sacto. A F**KING THUMBPRINT FOR AMMO
California makes me sicker every day

Bobula
12-10-2007, 10:57 PM
When is this supposed to start?

Lateralus
12-10-2007, 11:45 PM
thats ok, im in sac and all the gun stores are closed now anyway....

RP1911
12-11-2007, 12:11 AM
CDNN will not ship ammo to Sacramento (it's in their latest catalog).

oaklander
12-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Certain ammo vendors will still ship to places where they have these sorts of rules. I won't name them here. But they do exist. PM me if you want to know who I buy from.

gspam1
12-11-2007, 7:01 AM
MidwayUSA says it cannot ship ammo to Sacramento either because of local law. They had a sale on 22LR ammo I wanted but couldn't ship here.

milsurpshooter
12-11-2007, 10:03 AM
everbody that lives in sac can go to the sportsmans wharehouse in rocklin.

Anthonysmanifesto
12-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Its too bad that vendors are afraid to ship here to sacrmento.

there is no local ordinance prohibting the importation or shipment of ammunition.

There are some questions that should be asked of the authorities in sacramento (Police Chief, City Attorney, etc..)

for example;

how many records have been collected?

how much has the program cost the taxpayers?

what has been the result?

how many private person have been checked on? hwo many staff hours have been spent trolling conusmers profiles?

how many lost/stolen guns have been reported?

what does reported mean? what information is considered mandatory from the theft victim in order to comply with the lost/stolen ordinance?

If any sacramentan were to write and ask these questions, It would be great if any responses were posted here

CSDGuy
12-11-2007, 1:43 PM
I've contacted a couple of internet ammo vendors and they will not ship to me because I have "Sacramento" in my address. I do not live in the City of Sacramento and it is legally provable. Their shipment programs look at the zip code, not the actual street address for whether or not you're within city/county limits. My zip code has some Sacramento CITY land in it, so they won't ship to my zip code. Those companies made a business decision that will keep them from accidentally shipping to a prohibited location and therefore out of trouble that way.

Roccobro
12-11-2007, 1:59 PM
Screw Century Arm Int. as they won't send any ammo to anyone in CA unless they have a FFL. :mad:

Justin

CSDGuy
12-11-2007, 2:00 PM
Its too bad that vendors are afraid to ship here to sacrmento.

there is no local ordinance prohibting the importation or shipment of ammunition.

There are some questions that should be asked of the authorities in sacramento (Police Chief, City Attorney, etc..)

for example;

how many records have been collected?

how much has the program cost the taxpayers?

what has been the result?

how many private person have been checked on? hwo many staff hours have been spent trolling conusmers profiles?

how many lost/stolen guns have been reported?

what does reported mean? what information is considered mandatory from the theft victim in order to comply with the lost/stolen ordinance?

If any sacramentan were to write and ask these questions, It would be great if any responses were posted here.
I've found the stuff you might want to read...
5.66.010 Definitions.
For the purpose of this chapter, the following words and phrases are defined as follows:
“Ammunition sales log” means the written or electronic record of a firearms ammunition sale as required under Section 5.66.020.
“Ammunition vendor” means any person, firm, corporation, dealer, or any other business enterprise that is engaged in the retail sale of any firearm ammunition; or that prepares for such conduct of business as evidenced by the securing of applicable federal, state or local licenses; or that holds itself out as engaged in the business of selling or otherwise transferring any firearm ammunition.
“Firearm” means any device, designed to be used as a weapon or modified to be used as a weapon, that expels a projectile through a barrel by the force of an explosion or other form of combustion.
“Firearm ammunition” means any cartridge or encasement containing a bullet or projectile, propellant or explosive charge, and a primer which is used in the operation of a firearm.
“Sale” means the sale, barter, transfer or any means of providing goods to a transferee, including the provision of ammunition in conjunction with any firearm sale. (Ord. 2007-065 § 1)
5.66.030 Maintenance and inspection of ammunition sales log at location of sale.
The ammunition sales log required in Section 5.66.020 shall be recorded on a form approved by the chief of police. In addition to the requirements of Section 5.66.040, all ammunition sales logs shall be kept at the location of the firearms ammunition sale for a period of not less than two years from the date of the sale. Ammunition sales logs shall be open to reasonable inspection by peace officers at all times the ammunition vendor is regularly open for business. (Ord. 2007-065 § 1)
5.66.040 Electronic transmission of sale record to police department.
Within five calendar days of a firearms ammunition transfer, the ammunition vendor shall electronically transmit to the Sacramento police department all of the information set forth in subsections A to F of Section 5.66.020. The electronic transmittal shall be by a method, and in a format, approved by the chief of police. (Ord. 2007-065 § 1)
5.66.080 Exemptions.
A. The provisions of this chapter shall not apply if the firearms ammunition transferee is any person described in Section 12302 or 12322 of the Penal Code of the state of California; any off-duty peace officer who displays proper agency identification which identifies him or her as an active peace officer; any person who has been issued a permit to carry a concealed weapon under the authority of Section 12050 of the Penal Code of the state of California; or any security guard licensed under the authority of Section 12033 of the Penal Code of the state of California.
B. The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to shotgun ammunition containing projectiles (shot) of a diameter less than twenty-four hundredths of an inch. (Ord. 2007-065 § 1)
5.64.020 License requirement and penalty for violation.
A. It is unlawful for any person, firm, corporation or dealer engaging in the business of selling, leasing or otherwise transferring any firearm or firearm ammunition, to sell, lease or otherwise transfer any firearm or firearm ammunition, without first having obtained a license from the chief of police. Gunsmiths, crafts makers and firearms collectors shall not be required to obtain such a license unless they sell, lease or transfer firearms. The chief of police shall make available application forms requiring applicants to provide the information set forth in Section 5.64.030 of this chapter, and shall collect a nonrefundable application fee from each applicant. Upon receiving the application fee, the chief of police shall issue a receipt to the applicant showing that such application fee has been paid. The issuance of such a receipt shall not authorize an applicant to engage in the sale, lease, or other transfer of firearms or firearm ammunition until the necessary license has been lawfully issued.
B. The application fee shall be established by resolution of the city council and shall be the exclusive source of city funds from which recovery of all costs associated with this chapter may be obtained, including but not limited to, processing applications, monitoring licensees, and enforcing the provisions of this chapter.
C. Any person, firm, corporation or dealer engaging in the business of selling, leasing or otherwise transferring any firearm or firearm ammunition to sell, lease, or otherwise transfer any firearm or firearm ammunition without first having obtained a license from the Sacramento police department or, once having obtained a license, violates any of the conditions set forth in Section 5.64.110 of this chapter or continues to engage in the business after such license is revoked or suspended, shall be in violation of this chapter and guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or by fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000.00), or by both. The chief of police shall prescribe a form on which the chief of police shall inform the California Department of Justice that such violators do not meet the state requirements for gun licensees or dealers pursuant to Penal Code Section 12071(a)(1). (Prior code § 28.05.501)
Some of this the companies can live with, but they have to have a license to sell/transfer ammo. This license is issued by the Chief of Police. This chapter doesn't seem to differentiate at all between someone who is a non-resident of Sacramento City or a vendor shipping TO Sacramento City... as long as the actual transfer occurs within the City Limits...