PDA

View Full Version : GOP front runner Mike Huckabee's vote record on the 2nd?

Steyr_223
12-10-2007, 2:55 PM
Why it matters..

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/10/cnn.poll/index.html

DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) -- Mike Huckabee's dramatic jump in the polls is going nationwide. The former Arkansas governor is in a virtual tie with Republican presidential front-runner Rudy Giuliani in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation national poll out Monday.

Mike Huckabee is now the front-runner in the polls in Iowa.

Giuliani, the former New York City mayor, is backed by 24 percent of Republican voters nationally while Huckabee, the former governor of Arkansas, is at 22 percent.

The two-point difference is well within the survey's sampling error of plus or minus 5 percentage points.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is at 16 percent in the new poll, followed by Sen. John McCain of Arizona at 12 percent, Former Sen. Fred Thompson of Tennessee at 10 percent, Rep. Ron Paul of Texas at 6 percent, Rep. Duncan Hunter of California at 2 percent and Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado at 1 percent. View complete poll results

The poll, conducted December 6-9, involved nationwide telephone interviews with 377 registered Republicans voters or independent voters who lean Republican.

Huckabee is now the front-runner in the polls in Iowa, the first state to vote in the presidential primary process, taking the top spot from Romney, and he's also jumped dramatically in South Carolina, the first southern state to vote.

Now he appears to be on the rise in national surveys as well. Two nationwide polls last week, Gallup/USA Today and Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg, put him in second place.

Huckabee doubled his support in October and doubled it again in November, going from 5 percent in October to double digits last month to more than 20 percent this month, in the CNN poll.

"Huckabee's strength so far may be a positive, values-oriented message," CNN polling director Keating Holland said. "He ranks first when GOP voters are asked who shares their Republican values and who has spent the least time criticizing his opponents. He also scores well on likeability and believability, although Giuliani beats him on those measures.

If Huckabee has and Achilles' heel, it's his lack of experience, Holland said. "Huckabee places fourth, behind Giuliani, McCain and Romney, when Republicans are asked to rate the GOP candidates on experience."

troyus
12-10-2007, 3:03 PM
There is no way that guy is going to win it.

dfletcher
12-10-2007, 3:22 PM
I saw Huckabee's speech at the NRA. IIRC, he came on after Guiliani. I think he nailed it when he talked about being a life long hunter, then he correctly said all that's nice, but the 2nd Amendment isn't about hunting it's about being able to protect yourself and be treated like an adult. I believe he has a CCW also. I'd be very comfortable with him protecting the 2nd.

brando
12-10-2007, 6:51 PM
I'd be very uncomfortable with a religious nutjob running the nation.

Smokeybehr
12-10-2007, 6:52 PM

I don't want Obama, either.

Grouch
12-10-2007, 7:01 PM

I'd rather vote for someone honest about it rather than someone faking it for a vote.

wilit
12-10-2007, 7:40 PM

I'm not a very religious person, and don't really care for people pressing religion upon others. Even though Huckabee was a minister, from some articles I've read, I would not classify him as a religious nutjob. Out of all the Republicans, I'm starting to lean more his way. I think he's as close to a true American candidate as we will get.

thomasanelson
12-10-2007, 7:43 PM

Really???? What do you call what we have now?:confused:

STAGE 2
12-10-2007, 8:41 PM

Thats funny, cause I'm really uncomfortable with people pigeonholing anyone who isn't totally devoid of any faith at all.

StraightShooter
12-10-2007, 8:56 PM
Its not like he is Billy Graham. He is a politician who is also a minister. I have followed him pretty closely and I have never seen him bring up his beliefs unless someone asks about them and then he defines and defends them fervently. To call him a religious nutjob seems to just say you hate religion in general but thats your opinion and you are entitled to it. I think he is far from being a religious nutjob.

Apostolos
12-10-2007, 9:20 PM

I suppose a secular nut-job would be better? :rolleyes:

God Bless,
David

Steyr_223
12-10-2007, 9:23 PM
http://www.ontheissues.org/Mike_Huckabee.htm

* Second Amendmen is about freedom, not about hunting. (Aug 2007)
* Owns firearms; enjoys hunting; supports 2nd amendment. (Jan 2007)
* Supports self-defense and `castle doctrine'. (Jan 2006)
* Allow concealed carry. (Nov 2002)

odesskiy
12-10-2007, 9:38 PM
Mr. Huckabee's extreme stance on abortion seems a bit troublesome to me. Also, I think ti's about time United States joined the rest of civilized nations and started pro-actively funding and participating in stem cell research. While 2A issues carry the most weight with me, I am certainly not a single-issue voter. There are unfortunately several issues on which I can't agree with Mr. Huckabee.

Jedi
12-10-2007, 9:57 PM

Yup, those founding fathers were the worst leaders, weren't they?

Blackflag
12-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Ron Paul is the only way to go this time around.

Steyr_223
12-10-2007, 10:30 PM
"Yup, those founding fathers were the worst leaders, weren't they?"

Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, James Madison,Alexander Hamilton, Ethan Allen and Thomas Paine were Deists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

John Adams was a Unitarian

Piper
12-11-2007, 8:27 AM
Well lets see what the founding fathers said about religion.

William Bradford
• wrote that they [the Pilgrims] were seeking:
• 1) "a better, and easier place of living”; and that “the children of the group were being drawn away by evil examples into extravagance and dangerous courses [in Holland]“
• 2) “The great hope, and for the propagating and advancing the gospel of the kingdom of Christ in those remote parts of the world"

The Mayflower Compact (authored by William Bradford) 1620

“Having undertaken, for the glory of God, and advancement of the Christian faith, and honor of our King and Country, a voyage to plant the first colony in the northern parts of Virginia, do by these presents solemnly and mutually, in the presence of God, and one of another, covenant and combine our selves together…”

John Adams and John Hancock:
We Recognize No Sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus! [April 18, 1775]

John Adams:
“ The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.”

• “[July 4th] ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.”
–John Adams in a letter written to Abigail on the day the Declaration was approved by Congress

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --October 11, 1798

"I have examined all religions, as well as my narrow sphere, my straightened means, and my busy life, would allow; and the result is that the Bible is the best Book in the world. It contains more philosophy than all the libraries I have seen." December 25, 1813 letter to Thomas Jefferson

"Without Religion this World would be Something not fit to be mentioned in polite Company, I mean Hell." [John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, April 19, 1817]

Samuel Adams:
“ He who made all men hath made the truths necessary to human happiness obvious to all… Our forefathers opened the Bible to all.” [ "American Independence," August 1, 1776. Speech delivered at the State House in Philadelphia]

“ Let divines and philosophers, statesmen and patriots, unite their endeavors to renovate the age by impressing the minds of men with the importance of educating their little boys and girls, inculcating in the minds of youth the fear and love of the Deity… and leading them in the study and practice of the exalted virtues of the Christian system.” [October 4, 1790]

John Quincy Adams:
• “Why is it that, next to the birthday of the Savior of the world, your most joyous and most venerated festival returns on this day [the Fourth of July]?" “Is it not that, in the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior? That it forms a leading event in the progress of the Gospel dispensation? Is it not that the Declaration of Independence first organized the social compact on the foundation of the Redeemer's mission upon earth? That it laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity"?
--1837, at the age of 69, when he delivered a Fourth of July speech at Newburyport, Massachusetts.

“The Law given from Sinai [The Ten Commandments] was a civil and municipal as well as a moral and religious code.”
John Quincy Adams. Letters to his son. p. 61

Elias Boudinot:
“ Be religiously careful in our choice of all public officers . . . and judge of the tree by its fruits.”

Charles Carroll - signer of the Declaration of Independence
" Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure...are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments." [Source: To James McHenry on November 4, 1800.]

Benjamin Franklin:
“ God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel” –Constitutional Convention of 1787

“In the beginning of the contest with Britain, when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for Divine protection. Our prayers, Sir, were heard, and they were graciously answered… do we imagine we no longer need His assistance?” [Constitutional Convention, Thursday June 28, 1787]

In Benjamin Franklin's 1749 plan of education for public schools in Pennsylvania, he insisted that schools teach "the excellency of the Christian religion above all others, ancient or modern."

In 1787 when Franklin helped found Benjamin Franklin University, it was dedicated as "a nursery of religion and learning, built on Christ, the Cornerstone."

I think Mike Huckabee is simply following in the footsteps of the founding fathers. For those of you that are "Anti-religion" the founding fathers would have questioned your patriotism as to them patriotism and religion went hand in hand. Just my $0.02 worth.

Forever-A-Soldier
12-11-2007, 9:00 AM
You are never going to agree with any candidate 100% of the time. There will ALWAYS be a compromise on what they believe and what you believe. That being said, I don't think Huckabee is some religious zealot.

I think he is a good choice for President, especially since Thompson has been lackluster and Guliani is another RINO in too many areas. Romney is fine, but just doesn't speak to me the way Huckabee does. I don't know if Huckabee could win against Clinton or Obama, but honestly I'm tired of voting for the "guy who can beat the other guy."

No offense to the Ron Paul supporters - and I like some of his Libertarian views, but I really don't think Ron is 100% stable. I like a lot of what he says but unfortunately "nut" comes to mind a bit too often. Maybe he'll grow on me as time goes by, who knows.

My .02

F.A.S. Out

troyus
12-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Never ever gonna happen:

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/10/poll.head.to.head/?iref=hpmostpop

Fjold
12-11-2007, 10:37 AM
It's amazing how some people will drink the Kool-Aid of media hype without noticing it, if it fits in with their pre-conceived ideas of people that they don't know.

USN CHIEF
12-11-2007, 10:48 AM
It's amazing how some people will drink the Kool-Aid of media hype without noticing it, if it fits in with their pre-conceived ideas of people that they don't know.

Very well versed Fjold:hurray:

MudCamper
12-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Never ever gonna happen:

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/10/poll.head.to.head/?iref=hpmostpop

I don't buy it. Hey, I'm an atheist, but I'd vote for Huckabee. When he speaks, he comes accross as a decent and honest guy. I may not agree with him on many issues, but at least I know where he stands. Now imagine him running against Hillary, who comes accross as a lieing political weasel. No contest.

Wizard99
12-11-2007, 4:52 PM
I won't vote for Mike "Hucksterby". The man is Bill Clinton in Republican clothing. I don't question the mans religous conviction or his stand on the 2nd amendment. I question his ethics, as demonstrated by the series of ethics violations he had as the Gov. of Arkansas. By all accounts the man does not play well with others and has a nasty temper, not the type of person to have his hand on the "Nuke" button

Blackflag
12-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Not to mention...what kind of an *** has to sink to insulting Romney's religion? If he thinks that's going to help him win, I think he's confused.

FMJBT
12-12-2007, 9:01 PM
Ron Paul is the only way to go this time around.

+1

He's the only one running who doesn't seem like a lesser version of multiple evils. The nearly complete media blackout he's getting is unfortunate, and slightly odd considering his huge online following.

Blackflag
12-12-2007, 10:17 PM
But it's not odd..."they" can never let him win. But I am voting for him.

Remember - in Cal, you have to register as a republican by 1/15 to vote for him in the primary. (then I'll switch back to independent.)

So get out and register now, people. :patriot:

dixieD
12-13-2007, 6:43 AM
I won't vote for Mike "Hucksterby". The man is Bill Clinton in Republican clothing. I don't question the mans religous conviction or his stand on the 2nd amendment. I question his ethics, as demonstrated by the series of ethics violations he had as the Gov. of Arkansas. By all accounts the man does not play well with others and has a nasty temper, not the type of person to have his hand on the "Nuke" button
Beats Bill Clinton in womens clothing.

StraightShooter
12-13-2007, 9:08 PM
Not to mention...what kind of an *** has to sink to insulting Romney's religion? If he thinks that's going to help him win, I think he's confused.

I am a Huckabee supporter and Im kinda pissed that he attacked Romney's views also. Factually he is totally right but this is about the presidency and not some evangelistic campaign. He should have kept his mouth shut and im hoping he learned a lesson here or Im gonna have to go for the #2 guy (Ron Paul.)

Blackflag
12-14-2007, 12:19 AM
I am a Huckabee supporter and Im kinda pissed that he attacked Romney's views also. Factually he is totally right but this is about the presidency and not some evangelistic campaign. He should have kept his mouth shut and im hoping he learned a lesson here or Im gonna have to go for the #2 guy (Ron Paul.)

Exactly. Either way, get out and vote in Jan. I'm going Paul.