PDA

View Full Version : Noob question on handgun transfer

Jack Straw from Wichita
12-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Hello,

Got a fairly basic question about legally transferring a handgun. If a seller in, for example, Los Angeles wants to transfer an approved handgun to a buyer in San Francisco, is it legal for the seller to ship the handgun directly to an FFL in the buyer's area? I've heard it claimed that the handgun has to be shipped from an FFL to an FFL, but haven't seen the law. Thanks.

-Jack

Bobula
12-10-2007, 12:56 PM
I believe they not only have to go ffl to ffl but be overnighted.

Hunter
12-10-2007, 1:05 PM
Hello,

Got a fairly basic question about legally transferring a handgun. If a seller in, for example, Los Angeles wants to transfer an approved handgun to a buyer in San Francisco, is it legal for the seller to ship the handgun directly to an FFL in the buyer's area? I've heard it claimed that the handgun has to be shipped from an FFL to an FFL, but haven't seen the law. Thanks.

-Jack

You can legally ship directly to the FFL holder yourself. But you should still call the receiving FFL and get clearance before doing so.

What Just Happened?
12-10-2007, 1:56 PM
If you couldn't legally ship from yourself to an FFL, getting a handgun to the manufacturer for repairs / warrantee work would be hell.

Fjold
12-10-2007, 2:34 PM
I believe they not only have to go ffl to ffl but be overnighted.

Nope, you can ship any legal firearm to any FFL (01) or the manufacturer.

Do not mail handguns they must be shipped by private carrier.

The private carriers all say that you must overnight them, there is no law on overnight shipping.