PDA

View Full Version : Do LEOs pay DROS fees?

pullnshoot25
12-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Just curious. My friend said that LEOs don't pay DROS or registration fees and I am wondering if that is true.

Gunner1
12-10-2007, 10:40 AM
I was a Leo for 15 years and always paid the DROS for personal guns. On agency issued firearms I just filled out the agency issue form and was given the gun.

Gunner

12-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Yes.

FEDUPWBS
12-10-2007, 11:16 AM
YES.

tyrist
12-10-2007, 1:09 PM
They pay dros but they can fill out a tax exemption.

eta34
12-10-2007, 3:11 PM
I pay every single time. I shouldn't have to. Neither should you.

FortCourageArmory
12-10-2007, 3:54 PM
Every LEO I've had buy a gun from me has paid.

Stormfeather
12-10-2007, 6:29 PM
Yes

Mac
12-11-2007, 11:41 AM

Mike's Custom
12-11-2007, 2:01 PM
Everybody pays fees for a DROS filed through a FFL. Well, that is if the FFL charges everybody. No matter what though, if a FFL transmits a DROS he will hve to pay the fee or he will lose the ability to trasmit a DROS. If a FFL misses their monthly DROS payment they will have their account suspended and then they are out of the gun selling business until they have bought it up to date. For that matter, fail to renew any license on time will also get you suspended until it is renewed and processed throught the DOJ.

CaliGunOwner
12-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Even with a letter to by-pass 10 day wait requires a 4473 & pymt of dros ;)

pullnshoot25
12-12-2007, 11:46 PM
One last question then. Are LEOs exempt from the "one handgun per month" rule?

12-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Yes

12-13-2007, 12:15 AM
From the BOF website:While no limitation exists for the number of handguns that you may own,you are generally limited to purchasing no more than one handgun in any 30-day period. Handgun transactions related to law enforcement, private party transfers, returns to owners, and certain other specific circumstances are exempt from the one-handgun-per-30-day limit.

(PC section 12072(a)(9))

Moonclip
12-13-2007, 12:42 AM
When an LEO purchases handguns not related to his or hers duty, I assume they are subject to 1 a month?

pullnshoot25
12-13-2007, 2:22 AM
So my friend was right on one count and wrong on another... I win 1/2 a bet!

Choptop
12-23-2007, 9:38 PM
That smug sense of self entitlement only goes so far.
They pay like everyone else.

nice.

just hope you never have to rely on someone with that smug sense on entitlement to save your sarcastic butt or any of your family members.

ar15barrels
12-23-2007, 10:08 PM
just hope you never have to rely on someone with that smug sense on entitlement to save your sarcastic butt or any of your family members.

Thank you for recognizing that law enforcement officers indeed have that smug sense of entitlement.
I would not have know it from the LEO guys that I shoot with. ;)

Moonclip
12-23-2007, 11:36 PM
nice.

LEOs like all human beings range from some of the better people I've met to others I considered scum. One of the scum ones once walked in to a Turners and was asked to show and clear the handgun he had in a case to do a PPT. He refused, pulled up his shirt sort of exposing a badge and a concealed pistol, and bellowed something to the effect of "I'm a cop, I can do what I want" then complained loudly at gun counter because the transfer was going to take 30-45mins.

Before we get too off topic can someone answer my original question? Are LEO's exempt from one a month if buying a personal handgun not required for duty? As for relying on LE, if we had shall issue CCW here I'd be less likely to need immediate LE response, and the last two times I needed LE assistance, the situation was resolved or over well before they could respond.

Not a complaint, just a observation. And my dad had LE help him in a very positive way long ago and one recently gave my mom a ride after a car accident even though it wasn't really required.

12-24-2007, 1:21 AM
LEOs like all human beings range from some of the better people I've met to others I considered scum. One of the scum ones once walked in to a Turners and was asked to show and clear the handgun he had in a case to do a PPT. He refused, pulled up his shirt sort of exposing a badge and a concealed pistol, and bellowed something to the effect of "I'm a cop, I can do what I want" then complained loudly at gun counter because the transfer was going to take 30-45mins.

Before we get too off topic can someone answer my original question? Are LEO's exempt from one a month if buying a personal handgun not required for duty? As for relying on LE, if we had shall issue CCW here I'd be less likely to need immediate LE response, and the last two times I needed LE assistance, the situation was resolved or over well before they could respond.

Not a complaint, just a observation. And my dad had LE help him in a very positive way long ago and one recently gave my mom a ride after a car accident even though it wasn't really required.

To answer your original question, no they are not exempt for personal handguns. Howerver a LEO can claim almost any gun could be used in the line of duty (back-up). Of course that will depend on their departments policies regulating what they can carry for duty or back-up/off duty, but a FFL would most likely not know the policies of the LEOs department.

homerm14
12-24-2007, 2:24 AM

The only response I have to this would be smug and show my sence of self entitlement.:D

retired
12-24-2007, 10:06 PM
The only response I have to this would be smug and show my sence of self entitlement.

Homerm14, you are fortunate, I'm retired and cannot do that anymore.:(;)

Mac
12-24-2007, 11:10 PM