PDA

View Full Version : How would you handle this situation.

1919A4
12-10-2007, 10:32 AM
ok,
Heres my situation. I have this neighbor who speeds around the corner by my house where all the neighbor hood kids play. Its been going on for months. She flies by the house, Peels out up into her driveway. Well, The other day we are all out front playing catch,etc and this lady comes flying around the corner. She gets out her car and the all the kids say slow down. She looks at us and then gives me the bird. I just looked at her kind of shocked. I looked away and continued to play with the kids.
Last night me and the family come home. We are getting out of the car and we see here fly by. I then here the tires peel out up the drive way. I walk to the back of my car and look at her house. She comes out to the end of her driveway and yells out at me. You have seomthing to say to me. Me and the family look at eachother like this lady is crazy. I then looked at her and said ya, I actually do have something to say to you. So I walked over there. I have a mitt and softball in my hand. She yells out. What are you going to do. Throw that baseball at my face. I told her of course not. I am here as your neighbor and I wanted to ask you if you could slow down just a little when you come down our street. I am worried you are going to run over one of the children out here. She flipped out. I got one close look at her finally and I could tell she was a speed freak as in drugs. She started telling me I was atacking here and that she was not going to slow down and that no kids should be playing in the street. She told me to **** off and started to walk off. I just left. Thier was no way to rationalize with this lady. I then told here if she continues to speed I would have no choice but to call the police., but I would much rather work this out between. She then says. Call the cops. I will tell them you pulled a gun on me and that you own guns. I seen you put a rifle case in your car before. Go ahead and call them. I bet you will be the one that gets the worse of it.. **** you she says then walks off. I just stood there in shock.
I went home and told the wife what happened and just sat there for a bit. A few minutes later I go back out front to unload the car of the kids bags.
Here comes the husband. I figure he is comeing over to work things out since we wave at each other every day , etc.
He walks up and takes a fighting stance. Says **** you. You do not yell at my wife and threaten her. I then said I didnt do that at all. I came over there and talked with a calm voice and just asked here to slow down a bit. He didnt hear a word I said. He wanted to fight for sure. I just kept saying we are neighbors. Lets work this out. He was dead set on being pissed. After about 5 minutes of trying to rationalize with this guy I says.,If you truly dont give a **** then I wont either. He walked off.
I went back home. Ironed a work shirt and was really concerned about , what if this crazy lady did call the police on me just out of spite and was coming down off her drugs and said I threatened her, etc.
I could see this lady doing this after I talked to her and seen how she acts out of control of her emotions.
That would cause me some big problems rights.
So I decided to try one last time. I walked overe to there house and knocked on their front door. Hoping this wack wouldnt come swinging at me or worse. I told them this has gotten way out of hand. For what ever reason you think I am atacking you. I am only asking you to slow down a bit. I am a concerned father. She then says I will just come in through the nieghborhood from the other direction. I told here you dont have to do that. She yells out loud as she could. I dont want to see any of your faces anymore. Slams the door. I look at her husband. He just shakes his head. I told him again. I am coming to you as a nieghbor with my concer. Lets work it out man. He puts out his hand and we shake hands. He said he was glad I came over. said thanks like 3-5 more times. We shook hands again. I then left feeling a little better that at least the husband decided to at least talk in the end.

What would you guys do in this situation. I still feel this may not be completely over with this crazy lady. I am really concerned about here trying to retaliate by calling the cops on me and saying some crazy ****.
What do you guys think I should do at this point. I want to keep the piece.

Suvorov
12-10-2007, 10:39 AM
It looks like you did the best you could with the crappy hand you were dealt.

Only in Kalifornia can a person who does not break the law (own legal guns) be blackmailed by a person who is a criminal (drug user). Talk about the world turned upside down.

The SoCal Gunner
12-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Call the police and report it first. I mean report everything, what she said , her flipping the bird, her making threats of filing false police reports, the husband threatening you.

You need to do it soon. If there are other kids besides yours that have witnessed the incidents of her speeding and flipping the bird, get the police to talk to them also or any adults who feel the same way.

Reporting it first will at least cover your rear if she does make a false report, the speeding thing you'll just have to keep calling and complaining until something gets done.

I would even try to get a restraining order on the the both of them.

USN CHIEF
12-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Call the police, file a report and tell them that she stated to you that she was going to make a false statement by telling the Po Po that you pulled out a gun on her. If the Po Po don't listen to you, keep on calling, eventually they will get tired and investigate. I would recommend that you do not go back to their house or talk to her. She sounds like a phsyco meth addict crazy B&^%.

hamsalad
12-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Film her driving like a nut and then be pre-emptive and call the cops before she does. Have some neighbors back you up and call as well, perhaps?

viras
12-10-2007, 10:41 AM
There really isn't much else you can do, other than getting the police involved, or contacting your city council and try to get speed-bumps installed on your street. It sounds like you have done everything a normal, rational person would do in your situation.

I saw a similar situation occur in a local San Diego neighborhood where parents were concerned about cars that were speeding on their block, so they got some sort of a petition together and went to the city council, and speed-bumps were installed on their street about 6 weeks later.

viras
12-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Film her driving like a nut and then be pre-emptive and call the cops before she does. Have some neighbors back you up and call as well, perhaps?

+1 - Set up a surveilence camera on the outside of your garage - you can pick up a wireless one at Fry's for about $30 bucks these days. Film her in the act of speeding in your neighborhood. That way, at least you'll have some sort of proof in case things get out of hand.

WolfMansDad
12-10-2007, 10:44 AM
... I look at her husband. He just shakes his head. I told him again. I am coming to you as a nieghbor with my concer. Lets work it out man. He puts out his hand and we shake hands. He said he was glad I came over. said thanks like 3-5 more times. We shook hands again. I then left feeling a little better that at least the husband decided to at least talk in the end.

Wat would you guys do in this situation. I still feel this may not be completely over with this crazy lady. I am really concerned about here trying to retaliate by calling the cops on me and saying some crazy ****.

Up to this last point I would have said call the cops. You tried to work things out peacefully, and she refused to reciprocate. They probably won't even come out, but if you call first they have you on record as being the RP and will be more inclined to see you as the good guy.

If, however, the husband is willing to work with her, that is a good sign. It sounds like this woman has a lot of issues right now, and she's probably taking them out on you, him, her car, and the rest of the neighborhood.

On the other hand, if, as you suspect, drugs are involved, then that makes working things out rationally a whole lot harder, and the police probably do need to be involved.

hamsalad
12-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Even a hand held cam would work if you know what time she usually drives in that area. Borrow a cam if you don't own one. I hope you can resolve it peaceably.

+1 - Set up a surveilence camera on the outside of your garage - you can pick up a wireless one at Fry's for about $30 bucks these days. Film her in the act of speeding in your neighborhood. That way, at least you'll have some sort of proof in case things get out of hand.

pullnshoot25
12-10-2007, 10:45 AM
That is even more irrational than I am used to most women being... and I have 7 sisters.

mumbleypeg
12-10-2007, 11:11 AM
I would have already called the cops, made a report and sent a letter to the neighborhood storefront police office.

I would be talking to other neighbors to be on the look out and give the kids the heads up lecture.
If they are renters I would send a letter to the landlord.

Who knows what her issues are. The kids are being put at risk by her driving and you are being put at risk by her lying.

45DAVID1
12-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Notify the local PD that you neighbor has made threats to you. Ask to speak to the watch commander. Document everything with names, times and places. Make as many police reports that you need to make and get copies of them all. If it gets to the point that you need a TRO on them it may help with that. Do they rent or own? If they rent contact the owner of the house and let them know what is going on. It might be in his/her best interest to have them evicted. In my opinion I wouldn't videotape him or her out in the open because that will just escalate things. Use hidden cameras but post up signs that say you monitor your property with video surveillance. Remember to document, document, and document everything.

sloguy
12-10-2007, 11:32 AM
call the cops and file the complaint. film her reckless driving and show it to the police.

as far as trying to sort things out with her as a person, shes a druggie, i recomend never talking to her ever again. druggies are like the plague, avoid all contact if possible.

FEDUPWBS
12-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Call the police and report it first. I mean report everything, what she said , her flipping the bird, her making threats of filing false police reports, the husband threatening you.

You need to do it soon. If there are other kids besides yours that have witnessed the incidents of her speeding and flipping the bird, get the police to talk to them also or any adults who feel the same way.

Reporting it first will at least cover your a55 if she does make a false report, the speeding thing you'll just have to keep calling and complaining until something gets done.

I would even try to get a restraining order on the the both of them.

+1 and let her see you filming her breaking the law AFTER you have filed a complaint. She will retaliate or stop/change the behavior either way you will get a response also mount a camera to cover your property because crazy 8itches do crazy *****. You will have her dead to rights!

45DAVID1
12-10-2007, 11:41 AM
+1 and let her see you filming her breaking the law AFTER you have filed a complaint.

I disagree with that. Videotaping irrational people out in the open is just asking for trouble. The local PD might see that as instigating a fight and side with the other people.

eviioiive
12-10-2007, 11:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8zDtu83NdE

VeryCoolCat
12-10-2007, 11:47 AM
LOL, police report. HAH.

Like that'll do any good.

Albeit I am the same way in similar driving style, I am not a total douche and slow down for residential areas, but I do love the sound of scretching tires when I slide :p

Find out how good of a driver she really is. Leave an obstacle in the street on that courner and see if she runs into it. Does she slide or just slow down and speed up really fast? Depending on driving style, there are PLENTY of things you can do to make someone screw up their car.

Don't bother with the police, they don't care, and I believe there is a law out there you can't record an area with signs stating the area is under recording otherwise the evidence can't be used in court.

PM me a little more info and I'll give you alternate "solutions"

45DAVID1
12-10-2007, 11:49 AM

That's just asking for trouble. What if the guy who was driving a bit fast crashed and killed someone? The person who threw the object would be responsible for the crash as well as any damage to the vehicle resulting from that stupid prank.

boogak
12-10-2007, 11:53 AM
try to get other niebors involved as your witness. you propably dont want to involve others but yours and their kids life are at stake.

boogak
12-10-2007, 11:54 AM

lol. dont do that. even though that is hella funny

N6ATF
12-10-2007, 1:49 PM
Get a stroller, a realistic looking baby doll, and make some squibs. Cross the street just as she's about to run you over and abandon the stroller. Act like she just killed a baby and cry over the fake bloody corpse. Probably will be a hit and run so you won't have to keep up the act for long.

There really isn't much else you can do, other than getting the police involved, or contacting your city council and try to get speed-bumps installed on your street. It sounds like you have done everything a normal, rational person would do in your situation.

I saw a similar situation occur in a local San Diego neighborhood where parents were concerned about cars that were speeding on their block, so they got some sort of a petition together and went to the city council, and speed-bumps were installed on their street about 6 weeks later.

If that was in cash-strapped San Diego City, that's baffling. We had the same problem in Chula Vista, land of the highest paid police force in SoCal and petitioned for speedbumps and they cried poor.

viras
12-10-2007, 2:13 PM
Get a stroller, a realistic looking baby doll, and make some squibs. Cross the street just as she's about to run you over and abandon the stroller. Act like she just killed a baby and cry over the fake bloody corpse. Probably will be a hit and run so you won't have to keep up the act for long.

If that was in cash-strapped San Diego City, that's baffling. We had the same problem in Chula Vista, land of the highest paid police force in SoCal and petitioned for speedbumps and they cried poor.

Oh ya - I forgot to mention that there were 3 speeding related deaths in that neighborhood over the past 5 years, as well as many hit-n-runs. This was in Barrio Logan, fyi, over by "Las Cuatros Milpas". You may have seen the story on the Turko Files. :D Sorry about the lack of details in my original post! The original story came out a long time ago, like 1 or 2 years approx.

mds2004
12-10-2007, 2:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY9n7DJ-vpk

Skip to :45ish

viras
12-10-2007, 3:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY9n7DJ-vpk

Skip to :45ish

They're speaking some sort of gibberish - I can't make it out... :43::43::43:

12-10-2007, 4:34 PM
Deploy spike strips... No don't do that, I'm only kidding. I would do as others have stated and file a report. I had a similar situation to yours only it was with a teenage boy. Talked with some of my neighbors and one actually was friends with his parents. They ended up calling his parents and I can honestly sat he drives slower now. It did take two phone calls by the way.

JeffM
12-10-2007, 5:06 PM
Videotape is your friend.

Wait till she's super hopped up on whatever drugs she's on, then call the cops.

It won't matter what bs she pulls if the cops see her acting high and then see the videotape of her actions.

zinfull
12-10-2007, 5:30 PM
the main thing you need to do is keep your kids out of the street. It is for traffic and is not a playground. You still need to slow her down because they maybe crossing the street and not be able to get out of the way. If she comes thru the same time every day them ask for a police officer to drive by at that time.

Jerry

Hoop
12-10-2007, 6:17 PM
Videotape is your friend.

Wait till she's super hopped up on whatever drugs she's on, then call the cops.

Video is indeed your friend. Also she might be on drugs but more than likely she's just nuts.

pnkssbtz
12-10-2007, 6:20 PM
I've never seen anyone work out a problem with a neighbor when the community didn't get involved.

I'd have the neighbors get involved, both in complaining to the police and filming. If the entire neighborhood complains about a single person there is no sweeping it under the rug.

I'd also file a report about the false charges accusation. Then I'd make sure I film all interactions and/or have a recorder when you talk to her.

Max-the-Silent
12-10-2007, 6:32 PM
ok,
Heres my situation. I have this neighbor who speeds around the corner by my house where all the neighbor hood kids play. Its been going on for months. She flies by the house, Peels out up into her driveway. Well, The other day we are all out front playing catch,etc and this lady comes flying around the corner. She gets out her car and the all the kids say slow down. She looks at us and then gives me the bird. I just looked at her kind of shocked. I looked away and continued to play with the kids.
Last night me and the family come home. We are getting out of the car and we see here fly by. I then here the tires peel out up the drive way. I walk to the back of my car and look at her house. She comes out to the end of her driveway and yells out at me. You have seomthing to say to me. Me and the family look at eachother like this lady is crazy. I then looked at her and said ya, I actually do have something to say to you. So I walked over there. I have a mitt and softball in my hand. She yells out. What are you going to do. Throw that baseball at my face. I told her of course not. I am here as your neighbor and I wanted to ask you if you could slow down just a little when you come down our street. I am worried you are going to run over one of the children out here. She flipped out. I got one close look at her finally and I could tell she was a speed freak as in drugs. She started telling me I was atacking here and that she was not going to slow down and that no kids should be playing in the street. She told me to **** off and started to walk off. I just left. Thier was no way to rationalize with this lady. I then told here if she continues to speed I would have no choice but to call the police., but I would much rather work this out between. She then says. Call the cops. I will tell them you pulled a gun on me and that you own guns. I seen you put a rifle case in your car before. Go ahead and call them. I bet you will be the one that gets the worse of it.. **** you she says then walks off. I just stood there in shock.
I went home and told the wife what happened and just sat there for a bit. A few minutes later I go back out front to unload the car of the kids bags.
Here comes the husband. I figure he is comeing over to work things out since we wave at each other every day , etc.
He walks up and takes a fighting stance. Says **** you. You do not yell at my wife and threaten her. I then said I didnt do that at all. I came over there and talked with a calm voice and just asked here to slow down a bit. He didnt hear a word I said. He wanted to fight for sure. I just kept saying we are neighbors. Lets work this out. He was dead set on being pissed. After about 5 minutes of trying to rationalize with this guy I says.,If you truly dont give a **** then I wont either. He walked off.
I went back home. Ironed a work shirt and was really concerned about , what if this crazy lady did call the police on me just out of spite and was coming down off her drugs and said I threatened her, etc.
I could see this lady doing this after I talked to her and seen how she acts out of control of her emotions.
That would cause me some big problems rights.
So I decided to try one last time. I walked overe to there house and knocked on their front door. Hoping this wack wouldnt come swinging at me or worse. I told them this has gotten way out of hand. For what ever reason you think I am atacking you. I am only asking you to slow down a bit. I am a concerned father. She then says I will just come in through the nieghborhood from the other direction. I told here you dont have to do that. She yells out loud as she could. I dont want to see any of your faces anymore. Slams the door. I look at her husband. He just shakes his head. I told him again. I am coming to you as a nieghbor with my concer. Lets work it out man. He puts out his hand and we shake hands. He said he was glad I came over. said thanks like 3-5 more times. We shook hands again. I then left feeling a little better that at least the husband decided to at least talk in the end.

What would you guys do in this situation. I still feel this may not be completely over with this crazy lady. I am really concerned about here trying to retaliate by calling the cops on me and saying some crazy ****.

You can turn your back on a man, but you can never turn your back on a drug.

You are in a situation that has no reasonable solutions. Calling the police after the fact won't get you very far, unless the LEO that investigates your complaint interrupts Mr. & Mrs. Crankster in the process of cooking meth.

I would recommend setting up exterior cameras that cover the street and the house the speed freaks live in. Passive protection for the time when they get their paranoia going and decide to take action against you, your family and/or your property.

Keep a log of any events related to the SF's causing propblems and threatening you. Be comprehensive - detail date, time, the particulars and any other pertinent information.

Are the SF's owners or renters? A check of public records could be useful. Should they be renters, the landlord can be held responsible civilly if he/she fails to take action to solve the problem with their tenants after being put on notice that there is a problem.

I would also advise you to keep your kids out of this as much as possible - even though Mrs. Crankster had no business using the public street as a race course, your kids shouldn't have been the one to approach her or repremand her - you're the adult, it's your job.

AJAX22
12-10-2007, 6:38 PM
In CA, he who files the police report first wins

+1 on documenting it all with a camera.

The justice system works as follows:

Two people go in front of a judge and present stacks of paper.

whoever has the biggest stack of paper wins.

videotape will go a long way in making sure that nothing retaliatory sticks.

45DAVID1
12-10-2007, 6:48 PM
You can turn your back on a man, but you can never turn your back on a drug.

You are in a situation that has no reasonable solutions. Calling the police after the fact won't get you very far, unless the LEO that investigates your complaint interrupts Mr. & Mrs. Crankster in the process of cooking meth.

I would recommend setting up exterior cameras that cover the street and the house the speed freaks live in. Passive protection for the time when they get their paranoia going and decide to take action against you, your family and/or your property.

Keep a log of any events related to the SF's causing propblems and threatening you. Be comprehensive - detail date, time, the particulars and any other pertinent information.

Are the SF's owners or renters? A check of public records could be useful. Should they be renters, the landlord can be held responsible civilly if he/she fails to take action to solve the problem with their tenants after being put on notice that there is a problem.

I would also advise you to keep your kids out of this as much as possible - even though Mrs. Crankster had no business using the public street as a race course, your kids shouldn't have been the one to approach her or repremand her - you're the adult, it's your job.

Hmmm... that's basically everything I typed already this morning. You must have skipped through everything and just typed this out, huh?

hitman13
12-10-2007, 7:03 PM
Hmmm... that's basically everything I typed already this morning. You must have skipped through everything and just typed this out, huh?

heres your cookie for being first

http://photo.bldesign.org/photos/misc/cookie.jpg

Bonecrusher
12-10-2007, 7:06 PM
"How would you handle this situation?"

A whole lot different than what im reading here.;)

otteray
12-10-2007, 7:41 PM
Do you have a Neighborhood Watch Association?
How about a Police Community Service Officer?
You really need to start or get involved with an existing group, and encourage your law enforcement agency, or city council, to have a community service officer. Our community's PD has been very dedicated to this effort.
That's the CSO's job. They want to help guide citizens how to legally deal with issues to improve the safety of each neighborhood.
Let's face it; the cops are usually understaffed for patrols.
Neighbors need to step up and pitch in to help out reporting issues so PD can respond more effectively.
A Watch Group helps, because then you have organization to complain to the city council.
I got a radar gun from Santa Cruz PD through our Watch Group and then helped do a traffic study of my neighborhood.
If we suspect drug dealing, we call the cops. We communicate thru email about criminal activities, keeping everybody up to date when we have issues.
When I repeatedly spot a speeder, I record the times of the offense.
Traffic mitigation devices are now being installed on my street because of an organized Neighborhood Watch Association
We're not Gestapo or commie-social montors, by the way.
We are only trying to re-establish a livable neighborhood, as it once was, and should be.
Do yourself a favor and get out there to be pro-active about issues that effect the safety of you kids and your neighbors by joining or creating a neighborhood watch group that works with your local PD with regularly scheduled meetings. Then, the law enforcement folks will have a better network to resolve community crime and safety issues, and they can approach the problem people to hopefully resolve any safety or crime issues.
Watch Groups are a very important addition to your neighborhood's safety program if you, as a citizen, are willing to be involved.

StraightShooter
12-10-2007, 8:08 PM
Does the husband seem like the druggie type? If so then I would definitely get the police involved. If he seems like a normal guy then maybe talking to him is the best way to go. Obviously if that doesnt get anything done then I would do what some other guys have said here. Try to get it on video and then make a report with the police.

ibanezfoo
12-10-2007, 10:39 PM
What about reporting that she tried to kill the kids with her 4000 lb. assault weapon? I mean, how is driving like that any different than randomly firing rounds into the air?

-Bryan

psriley
12-10-2007, 11:31 PM
+1 on documenting it with video, but you'll need some way to demonstrate in the footage that she's actually exceeding the speed limit. Otherwise it would probably take her lawyer about 10 seconds to discredit you. See if you can get a radar gun display into the frame.

Might also want to see if you can get her to curse you out again while film is rolling.

Plan B could be to go back over there with fondue and Yahtzee, and really connect with them as people...make her demons your demons. Then give her a life-affirming powerhug loaded with positive energy help get this woman on the path to being the best her she can possibly be.

Of couse Plan B would take longer and probably make you vomit in the process.

Back to Plan A. Get this crazy byotch on video over several days, and drop a copy of it in her mailbox. Extra credit if you can get footage of illicit drug activity to include as a bonus track. Then tell her to slow the eff down or it's movietime at the local precinct.

retired
12-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Taking video of her driving is good advice. Making her aware of it is not. I would suggest secrete the cameras on your property as someone else suggested. Make sure they are good quality; color would be best.

Do not contact her anymore, nor her husband. Tho he may understand the problem, he evidently isn't able to control her behavior.

The police will make a log entry of the incident, but unless there is an actual crime, there will not be a criminal report. If you are able to present video showing her speeding and reckless driving, they may send a letter warning her to desist. If it continues they may pay her a visit.

On the other hand, when she commits the act in your presence and on tape, you can call them immediately requesting a unit to respond. They get your side and any witnesses info and then, depending on dept. policy, go warn and advise her to stop. We did that all of the time, whether it was something like this or having a loud radio, etc. It usually worked.

Now, if she becomes angry that you called le (considering her wonderful disposition, she probably will) and comes to your property to yell at her. Go inside in your home without arguing, call the dept. again to advise, keep the tape rolling and wait until they respond.

At that point, they might advise a TRO and you could request extra patrol. Hopefully neither will be necessary, but if needed, they give you the results you need to solve the problem..

Who knows, when le makes the initial contact, she may be high and they will hook her up. End of problem for awhile, but of course it could escalate when she gets out. You have to decide how far you want to take it and preserve the safety of your kids and neighborhood. If your neighbors will back you, it will be that much easier.

Just a fyi based on some experience.

oaklander
12-11-2007, 12:11 AM
I would invite the husband over for a beer and try and make friends with him. Better yet, invite both of them over for dinner. Don't talk about the speeding stuff unless they bring it up. Just make a point of being a good neighbor. This is a lot easier than about anything else, and you don't have anything to lose by trying this.

If you don't feel comfortable having them in your house, ask them if they would like to go out to dinner. (You drive!)

I know this seems counterintuitive, but you don't have anything to lose, and if this doesn't work, you can always go to plan "b" and get the police involved.

The worst thing in the world is a feud with a neighbor, I've had a few, and I've always defused them by being nice.

hitman13
12-11-2007, 12:41 AM
why invite SFs into your home, or associate with them at all?

oaklander
12-11-2007, 12:58 AM
why invite SFs into your home, or associate with them at all?

The goal is to get the woman to slow down. There's two ways to do it. One is with charm. The other is with force.

The problem with the force thing is that you have to involve the police, it takes time, and will create even more drama.

When I used to do martial arts, we were always told that the best way to win a fight was to avoid a situation where fights might occur. If we couldn't do that, we were supposed to walk away. If we couldn't walk way, we were told to talk our way out of it. If we couldn't do that, then we could fight.

The point is that conflict was always the last choice and not the first choice.

It doesn't mean being a pushover and rolling over for anyone that wants to dominate you. What it does mean is that you have to pick your battles and choose the most effective way to handle a situation.

In this case, one choice is to roll out the video cameras, police reports, restraining orders, letters to police stations, documents, lawyers, etc..

The other choice is to drink a six-pack with someone who might turn out to be a good friend down the road.

That being said, only the OP really has enough information about his situation to know what will work for him. It's possible my idea wouldn't work. Similar tactics have worked for me in the past, but it doesn't mean that they will work for the OP now. I'm just throwing it out there as an option.

:)

Mac
12-11-2007, 11:35 AM

tom_92673
12-11-2007, 12:36 PM
My neighborhood has a lot of young children. I have a young daughter who won't stop walking into the street. We have also got our share of fast drivers. One or two in particular. What we've found effective is to place signs in the street that say Children playing during the day. The kind that look like wet floor signs only a bit bigger. This tends to remind people not to drive too fast. It's often more helpful than challenging them as they respond to signs but feel attacked if you offer simple advice. Most people think you're challenging them or their intelligence if you say something to them, no matter how polite you are. It's a simple matter of low self esteem. The signs on the other hand are reminders to everyone and thus people don't feel singled out and are more likely to heed the signs. I'd also much rather have them hit the sign and stop then hit a kid.

BB63Squid
12-11-2007, 1:23 PM
As several here have already said but I will just emphasize...

First and foremost contact the sgt in your PD that is in charge of the district you reside in. Do not do this in front of your house but rather call the po-po and find out who he/she is and make an appointment to talk to them. Before meeting him/her make sure you have all the facts (date and times of recent arguments). Her name and address if possible, and video evidence if possible.

At this point the husband may have her calmed down but I doubt it since she has alligator mouth and hummingbird a##. She sounds like the type to get drunk, meet a guy for fun then claim rape. So watch out for her and document EVERYTHING. She appears to have come up with the you have guns response way too quick for it to be from the hip.

Eventually this will come to a boil. My advise would be to get the jump on her so you have a history of being the civilized one with regards to how the po-po views you.

FYI...I feel for you and have had neighbors who have used my street as a racetrack. Fortunately for them, they have all seemed top slow down after I had a conversation with them. Good luck.

Edit: Sorry for posting 3X. My laptop hiccup'd when I hit submit.

milsurpshooter
12-11-2007, 1:39 PM
slash the f-ing tires. and if they ask you say you shouldn't speed it puts a lot of strain on your tires. lol no really call the police and say they are cooking meth, then say she is speeding and ask if you get an officer posted on the corner. mentioning meth is your ace up your sleave. don't use it unless you have to. i had a similar situation. i told her i was gonna report here for cooking meth. 25 mph later she got the hint.

SunriseF150
12-11-2007, 2:13 PM
Go in with your neighbors who are pissed off too and hire a paving company to come install a speed bump and that end of the street. She's guaranteed not to speed again after she hits it the first time unaware :D

Corbin Dallas
12-11-2007, 3:54 PM
BB63 - We get it. No need to post the same thing 3 times.

I'm with everyone about the video/audio recordings and presenting it to the police. Forget taking them out for dinner, there is no reason in that woman, don't bother even trying. It will just make things worse.

emc002
12-11-2007, 4:19 PM
Well, I had a similar situation but my solution may not apply to you...

I live in a VERY small county and everyone knows everyone, except the Bay Area Refugees ("BAR") that keep moving out here.
Anyway, a new BAR moves in and proceeds to go about 50 down a 35 mph road I live on.
So one day, I invited about a dozen of my friends over for a BBQ, about the time the woman speeds. No more problems...

Oh, did I mention that the dozen or so friends I invited over were the Sheriff, Undersheriff, 1 Lt, 3 Sgts, 4 SOs, the DA and their respective spouses?

otteray
12-11-2007, 7:02 PM
Go in with your neighbors who are pissed off too and hire a paving company to come install a speed bump and that end of the street. She's guaranteed not to speed again after she hits it the first time unaware :D

Like this German one? http://blip.tv/file/519697

rorschach
12-11-2007, 7:18 PM
Caltrops, my friend.

ar15barrels
12-11-2007, 11:35 PM
heres your cookie for being first

http://photo.bldesign.org/photos/misc/cookie.jpg

mmmmm... I want a chocolate chip cookie.
All I have are oatmeal cookies though. :(

N6ATF
12-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Well, I had a similar situation but my solution may not apply to you...

I live in a VERY small county and everyone knows everyone, except the Bay Area Refugees ("BAR") that keep moving out here.
Anyway, a new BAR moves in and proceeds to go about 50 down a 35 mph road I live on.
So one day, I invited about a dozen of my friends over for a BBQ, about the time the woman speeds. No more problems...

Oh, did I mention that the dozen or so friends I invited over were the Sheriff, Undersheriff, 1 Lt, 3 Sgts, 4 SOs, the DA and their respective spouses?

:King:

aileron
12-12-2007, 7:08 AM
Next time video tape her behavior when you try to be reasonable while talking with her.

SunriseF150
12-12-2007, 10:00 AM
And whatever you do, don't invite that tweaker (if you say/think she is) over to your house. That will just give her the opportunity to see what you have inside your house. Don't trust tweakers.

Waingro
12-12-2007, 12:49 PM
#1 cell phone recorder - try to get her to repeat what she said to you before.

#2 it is a crime to file a false police report

#3 i bet she has prior convictions of drug use if you could tell that quickly she was on something

#4 it would be excellent if your guns were unusual - such as a pink AR-15.

when the police ask her "what color was his gun?" she is either going to answer "black" or "silver". shame - i am sure you will come out all right, it would have me worried my self.

edit: telling the police she is on drugs is not a good move on your part in my opinion, due to the fact that your trying to make her look bad - how do you know what a person on drugs looks like? she could have cancer or aids. you should tell them she looked like something was wrong with her. she might have a disorder. but chances are she is on drugs. maybe mention it off record. i know if you came up to me saying "THIS CRAZY WOMAN ON SPEED GAVE ME THE BIRD AND THEN THREATENED TO PUT ME IN JAIL FOR FALSE ACCUSATIONS AND THEN HER HUSBAND WANTED TO FIGHT ME" i would think you were defaming her character and trying to screw her over. i would think there was more to the story then you let on. if i was a cop that is.

edit again: if she is a speed addict then chances are an invasion to eat will not do any good - try having a crack party.http://wowee.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/tyrone_biggums.jpg

retired
12-12-2007, 11:24 PM

emc, that is a classic. As a former leo, I'm laughing while typing this. Congratulations.

Gunaria
12-12-2007, 11:50 PM
If you don't already have one, get yourself a good camcorder not a POS $30 Fry's refrub. Set-up the camcorder with the kids playing in the foreground (not in the street) and catch her speeding in the background. That should make for some compelling video footage. It will show how she is a threat to public safety.

From the sound of things right now, the husband is missing a backbone and the wife is the type of person that will not listen to anybody and has to learn things first hand.

Good luck

jdberger
12-13-2007, 12:59 AM
When i was younger and not so polite, I delivered pizzas. The other drivers and I used to zip down this residential street that was next to the store.

One night I hit something, looked in the rearview and saw a couple of legs fly up. It scared the wits outta me.

I stopped and fortunately it was just a shirt and pants stuffed with newspaper - but I did get the message.

Otherwise I'm with Oaklander. Always better to be nice - tweaker or not.

Oh, and all you folks who advocate "calling the cops" right away - I hope you don't do much complaining about how neighborhoods aren't as friendly as they used to be - because that's just the attitude that makes them that way. People need to talk to their neighbors, get to know them, know that they can trust and rely on them.

N6ATF
12-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Nice dummy!