PDA

View Full Version : How many firearms can an private individual DROS in a given month?

tacticalcity
12-10-2007, 9:54 AM
I need to tap your brains again guys.

I know I should know the answer to this one...but I have not had to worry about it for a while.

As a private individual how many firearms can I buy in a month?

Thanks for the help in advanced.

What Just Happened?
12-10-2007, 10:02 AM
I don't think there's any limit on longarms. You can buy one handgun a month from a FFL, and I think there's some subjecitve limit on PPT's of handguns. Not sure on those specifics.

tacticalcity
12-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Well...if that's the case then I am golden (slang for "good" for you guys who moved here from the East Coast). Because I am looking at 1 handgun and 2 long guns this month. I confirmed they are all legal here in California already thanks to Calguns.net help. I love this forum!

Thanks What Just Happened?

- Joe

TonyM
12-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Well...if that's the case then I am golden (slang for "good" for you guys who moved here from the East Coast). Because I am looking at 1 handgun and 2 long guns this month. I confirmed they are all legal here in California already thanks to Calguns.net help. I love this forum!

Thanks What Just Happened?

- Joe

Yeah, you're okay.

If the handgun is not a PPT and is coming in from out of state, or being shipped to your FFL then it will count as your 1 in 30 day purchase, so watch the calendar before you buy again.

As for PPT limits, not sure where the line is that defines when you trigger a flag. I did 3 PPT handguns and 1 new purchase handgun in the last 15 days, only thing needed was the FFL needed to fill out a form for the Feds that is required when you buy more than 1 handgun within 5 business days. Nothing special for CA, since they get the DROS electronically and know what you're buying anyway.

AKman
12-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Last month I DROSed 8 long guns and one handgun. No problem except for the obvious unmarked car parked out in front of the house for a week. Unfortunately, seven of the long guns are only good for use as blunt force objects.

Addax
12-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Most rifles I Dros'd in a month was 7.

No cars in front of my house, but I did hear clicking sounds on my phone for a few days... :rolleyes:

tacticalcity
12-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Well the handgun is coming from out of State and being shipped to my FFL dealer. If I am translating what I am being told that just means I have to wait 30 days before I buy another handgun but the long guns should not be a problem. Not the worst problem to have.

This is an education for me. I usually buy a gun once every couple of years. This is the first time I've aquired one in a trade and I got 3 of them in the same week. It was nice to do it by trading the stuff that is just sitting around and does not get used. What I consider my "less than favorite" is somebody elses dream gun or accessory.

In case anybody wants to hear me brag...I got a FN PBR in a .308, a Bersa Thunder 380 and an OLL AK. All fill pretty big holes in my collection. I not sure I would have purchases these exact firearms if I were paying cash, but I would have got something in their class. The FN PBR has mixed reviews, but Bersa owners seem pretty happy with them. And I have wanted an AK to accompany my ARs for a long time now but lacked the knowledge and skillset on how to build one.

I really can't tell you how much I have learned on this forum over the years. Now it is building my collection as well. Very cool.

thedonger
12-10-2007, 1:40 PM
I once DROSed 8 handguns in one PPT. No Problems.

DRM6000
12-10-2007, 2:40 PM
...only thing needed was the FFL needed to fill out a form for the Feds that is required when you buy more than 1 handgun within 5 business days.

i've bought and drosed two new pistols in a day without having to fill out any fed forms. i do have a coe though.

what kind of forms did you have to fill out?

scrat
12-10-2007, 2:45 PM
Just buy black powder rifle and handguns. You can buy as much as you want when you want. You can also buy the powder and the primers at the same time you purchase the firearms.

Nothing like shooting a black powder 50 caliber.

TonyM
12-10-2007, 2:47 PM
i've bought and drosed two new pistols in a day without having to fill out any fed forms. i do have a coe though.

what kind of forms did you have to fill out?

I didn't fill it out. This is a form the FFL fills out and keeps. I think the only reason I know about it is, it was slow so instead of filling it out later, they did it while I was hanging out.

Here it is:

478.126a Reporting multiple sales or other disposition of pistols and re-volvers. Each licensee shall prepare a report of multiple sales or other disposition whenever the licensee sells or other-wise disposes of, at one time or during any five consecutive business days, two or more pistols, or revolvers, or any combination of pistols and revolvers totaling two or more, to an unlicensed person: Provided, That a report need not be made where pistols or revolvers, or any combination thereof, are re-turned to the same person from whom they were received. The report shall be prepared on Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers. Not later than the close of business on the day that the multiple sale or other disposition occurs, the licensee shall forward two copies of Form 3310.4 to the ATF office specified thereon and one copy to the State police or to the local law en-forcement agency in which the sale or other disposition took place. Where the State or local law enforcement officials have notified the licensee that a par-ticular official has been designated to receive Forms 3310.4, the licensee shall forward such forms to that designated official. The licensee shall retain one copy of Form 3310.4 and attach it to the firearms transaction record, Form 4473, executed upon delivery of the pistols or revolvers.

from : http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01apr20051500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2005/aprqtr/pdf/27cfr478.128.pdf

s281c
12-10-2007, 3:33 PM
As for PPT limits, not sure where the line is that defines when you trigger a flag. I did 3 PPT handguns and 1 new purchase handgun in the last 15 days, only thing needed was the FFL needed to fill out a form for the Feds that is required when you buy more than 1 handgun within 5 business days. Nothing special for CA, since they get the DROS electronically and know what you're buying anyway.

I've bought a number of estate lots (PPT) of 30+ guns with no issues whatsoever, except for all the paperwork that had to be filled out............boy was my hand tired..........LOL..........and I did leave a very nice tip for the dealer for doing the transactions.

TonyM
12-10-2007, 3:47 PM
I've bought a number of estate lots (PPT) of 30+ guns with no issues whatsoever, except for all the paperwork that had to be filled out............boy was my hand tired..........LOL..........and I did leave a very nice tip for the dealer for doing the transactions.

What?

You actually tipped someone for doing a service job?

You might want to edit that before some of the others from OffTopic see this and start a poll... "Do you tip, and if so, how much?!" ;)

BillCA
12-10-2007, 5:10 PM
In California, you are limited to buying 1 new gun per every 30 days. If you are buying a consignment or private-party transfer, there is no limit. I've purchased up to 4 PPT guns in a month with no problems.

There is a caveat, however. If you buy a sizeable number of guns in year and then sell them, especially at a profit, you could be deemed "in the business" of buying and selling guns without a license. This is especially true if you don't hold the guns for very long before reselling them.

tacticalcity
12-10-2007, 6:23 PM
The guns are new in the box. But I think since I traded one for one for them and no money took place...is that not person to person? I guess my FFL will red flag it for me if there is a problem. Worse comes to worse I'll get him to hold it for me. Snellings Firearms in Sacramento is amazing. Great low prices and a very nice man.

Turns out the handgun was owned by an individual, not an FFL...but he did have to ship it to my FFL from out of state...se we'll see how my FFL treats that.

The AK is person to person with a fellow CalGuns member.

The .308 rifle is from a dealer.

Gunner1
12-10-2007, 6:51 PM
After I sold the gunshop I dros's 22 handguns and about a dozen rifles. That was in 1998 and there were no problems or calls from the DOJ. I just wish I would have kept more of them.

Gunner

accordingtoome
12-10-2007, 7:16 PM

hey there.. you wouldnt happen to have a revolver that needs a home? im looking for my old man.. :D

thomasanelson
12-10-2007, 7:55 PM
Just one interesting side note. In the city of LA you can only DROS on handgun per month regardless of the circumstances. I only know this because a few years ago I purchased a new gun in Pasadena and then tried to PPT DROS a used gun at Turners in Reseda. I was told that the City has a one gun per month law that the CA DOJ enforces. Amazing thing is that that DOJ knows that state law trumps local laws and the state hold authority over all gun laws, but still sees fit to break CA law by enforcing LA city law. Of course Turners Reseda may be the last store selling guns in the City.

Smokeybehr
12-10-2007, 8:47 PM
Just one interesting side note. In the city of LA you can only DROS on handgun per month regardless of the circumstances. I only know this because a few years ago I purchased a new gun in Pasadena and then tried to PPT DROS a used gun at Turners in Reseda. I was told that the City has a one gun per month law that the CA DOJ enforces. Amazing thing is that that DOJ knows that state law trumps local laws and the state hold authority over all gun laws, but still sees fit to break CA law by enforcing LA city law. Of course Turners Reseda may be the last store selling guns in the City.

Sounds like Turner's was feeding you a line of BS, like that hasn't happened at Turner's before... :rolleyes:

SemiAutoSam
12-10-2007, 9:19 PM
Back several months ago I DROS'ed 30 AR Lowers at one time.

That was a record for me.

But I also have purchased 30 Handguns at one time as well.

That was in the area of $15K.

Shotgun Man
12-10-2007, 9:28 PM

Do you think if you did the PPT at a non-LA store, it would have gone through? Or does the DOJ see that one is an LA resident and then limit him to one handgun DROS/month? By any chance, you don't have the statute do you?

BTW, how come in the Turner's in-store ad, I'm always seeing gun ads that say "Not Available in Reseda Store"?