PDA

View Full Version : Anybody from the O.C. interested in carpooling to Lytle Creek?

Bill92869
12-10-2007, 1:15 AM
I'm not exactly the friendly type most of the time, so this is out of character for me. I'm about to go to Lytle Creek shooting area during the week, but driving all the way out solo and the gas prices what they are, I'm not looking forward to it. If anyone is heading that way and would like a passenger that can shoot the breeze and help pay for gas, let me know.

petrole
12-10-2007, 3:01 AM
Sure, when?
Got a new build that's wanting to be outdoors :D

Bill92869
12-10-2007, 7:21 AM
They're closed Tuesday and Wednesday, possibly Thursday or Friday? I'm just waiting for a forearm to come in so I can install my Eotec and BUIS together, then sight her in.

bobfried
12-11-2007, 9:16 AM
I'm up for a little meet but would much prefer to get a private range at Burro. Let me know if you guys want to go that route.

Spiggy
12-12-2007, 4:13 AM
I have a small group going sunday if you want to join in

Bill92869
12-12-2007, 3:55 PM
bobfried, where's Burro Canyon and would you be going mid-week?

wildcard
12-12-2007, 4:08 PM
bobfried, where's Burro Canyon and would you be going mid-week?

It's off of the Azusa exit on the 210. City of Azusa probably.

Bill92869
12-12-2007, 8:46 PM
From the O.C., that sounds like it may be bit closer than Lytle Creek? Do they have a web site (for rates, hours, pics)?

petrole
12-12-2007, 9:20 PM
Well from looking at Google maps, it looks like its along the way to Mt. High in Wrightwood. And if it usually takes me about 1hr to get there, then Lytle (being about 3/4 the way) should actually take less to get to (I hope).

Did you get your forearm yet?
I gotta make a run up to Ammo Bros to grab some reloads.

From the O.C., that sounds like it may be bit closer than Lytle Creek? Do they have a web site (for rates, hours, pics)?

wildcard
12-12-2007, 9:53 PM

http://www.burrocanyon.com/

Bill92869
12-13-2007, 12:08 AM
I haven't got my forearm yet. The sender is a member of this forum and said he would be shipping it monday from up north. I figure it should arrive thursday or friday. One last mod (yeah I know there's no such thing as a last mod) I'm waiting for a gas block from Stag. That plus a folding front sight will be just about perfect for me. I'm game for shooting this thing from wednesday on.....

Bill92869
12-13-2007, 12:10 AM
Hey, that Burro Canyon looks better than Lytle and cheaper!

retired
12-20-2007, 2:27 AM
For those interested in Burro Canyon, you might want to read this thread which is a few above this one.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=75001

Burro Canyon is actually in the unincorporated area of L.A. County and is patrolled by LASD. In the late 90s, I used to work the Mountain car that patrolled that area. I don't know anything about shooting there, so I can't give you any info on that, plus I haven't been there since 97. The link above is certainly more recent.

As far as Lytle Creek, I go there with my son, my nephew and his friend as often as we can. You take the Sierra offramp off the 15 (North of the 210), hang a left and go thru the town of Lytle Creek. It will be at the end of the paved road (about 10 miles from the fwy).

I like it. The rangemasters are very good. They will check every weapon before they let everyone go down range to replace targets. That's the general rule, tho the last time we went, a fairly new kid working there screwed up, as did the gun owner. The gun owner put his rifle back in the truck, tho he wasn't supposed to touch it when people were down range. He ended up shooting and killing the passenger seat of his own truck when the "empty" gun discharged upon him pulling the trigger.

He was kicked out and I'm not sure if the employee is still there. First time I'm aware of that and I have no hesitation about going back there. Unfortunately for me, I live near Murrieta, so no car pool with you guys.

Enjoy it. Oh yeah, you can bring bowling pins. They have a metal plate set up at the 200 yard range also. 300yd. range is closed due to fire hazard.

petrole
12-23-2007, 1:08 AM
Ok, so I just got back from Lytle Creek today.
Nice place! Staff is very friendly.
It only took me 50 mins. to get there from the O.C. (sorry Bill, car was loaded. definitely next time).

Had a lot of fun shooting my ShortBus-23 there.
Wish I had brought a hammer though, as ground is pretty rocky to be staking targets down. Had to use caveman tools (i.e. big rock).

retired
01-03-2008, 12:49 AM
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the hard ground. I bring a sledge hammer with me and use the hammer first to soften the dirt, then pound the sign in. You have to use the rocks to support the target.