PDA

View Full Version : How difficult is it to change front sight

Bill92869
12-10-2007, 12:02 AM
On an AR15 top, to remove the factory sight and replace it with a fold down and I guess "gas block"? Also, can I keep using the stock carbine forearm with this set up?

ar15barrels
12-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Remove handguards
Remove the muzzle device.
Knock out the taper pins.
Slide the front sight base off.
Knock out gas tube rollpin.
Remove gas tube.
Install gas tube to new gas block.
Slide new gas block into place.
Align new gas block.
Install rear setscrew tight enough to mark barrel.
Remove rear setscrew.
Remove gas block.
Drill detent at center of setscrew mark.
Re-install gas block.
Tighten rear setscrew.
Tighten other setscrews.
Re-install handguards.

Level of difficulty (easy to impossible) depends on your mechanical skills and having the necesary tools.

Josh3239
12-10-2007, 12:16 AM
It is a lot easier than it sounds, go for it. I'll I needed was a torch lighter and 2 clamps for the flash hider, punch set, hammer, and a key that matches the screws for the gas block.

Bill92869
12-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Randall, thanks for the quick and detailed response! From your description, just seems like straight forward job. I have heard that getting the FS off can be difficult. My upper is a new Stag, are those usually easy or tough, and are they pinned on?

Josh3239
12-10-2007, 12:27 AM
I believe it depends on barrel length and pre/post ban. If its a 14.5 inch the FS will be permanent and you cannot legally remove it. Post ban I believe is also "permanent" but can be removed. If there is loctite you will need to heat it up and melt it.

ar15barrels
12-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Randall, thanks for the quick and detailed response! From your description, just seems like straight forward job. I have heard that getting the FS off can be difficult. My upper is a new Stag, are those usually easy or tough, and are they pinned on?

I was going to tell you to bring it to me, but now that you mention Stag, never mind.
I have broken more punches and mashed more fingers getting stag pins out than all others combined.
I developed some special tooling because of those taper pins.
Best of luck to you...

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/pin-popper3.jpg

ar15barrels
12-10-2007, 12:30 AM
I believe it depends on barrel length and pre/post ban. If its a 14.5 inch the FS will be permanent and you cannot legally remove it. Post ban I believe is also "permanent" but can be removed. If there is loctite you will need to heat it up and melt it.

If it's a Stag, chances are that it's a 16"
Stag only did one small run of 14.5" barrels and that was a few years ago.

Bill92869
12-20-2007, 9:03 PM
I thought the taper pins were supposed to be hard to remove from the Stags. I bought a new folding front sight by MI from David at Riflegear. He installed the whole thing is about 10 minutes, removing the original front sight base and the infamous taper pins with ease. No special tools, just a couple punches and a stip of leather to prevent scarring of the surfaces. Thanks David!

jar15sp1
12-26-2007, 12:06 PM
^^^^^^ I was concidering the MI folding sight tower for my 2ht upper. Are you happy with the installation? Does the finish match the rest of the upper? Does it work well with the a.r.m.s. 40 flip up rear? Lets see some pics of that bad boy installed.:)