PDA

View Full Version : Wish I could have a ccw here

KracknCorn
12-09-2007, 11:02 PM
I just had a attempted robbery happen to me a block away from my house. I was walking on the street when this car pulls up right next to me. Didn't think to much about it because I thought it was the people that lived in the house near me. The guys walk out and I'm not thinking to much about it, then one of the guys punches me in the head. Then the other guy starts to punch at me and I'm so confused on what was happening. I thought they thought I was from a rival gang or something. Than I start fighting back and one of the guys runs back to the car. Than its just me and one of the guys and we go into the street. He than says, "Give me all your ****, give your money. I have a gun and I will shoot you." Thinking in my head, if this guy had a gun, he would've already pulled it on me. Than I stand my ground to fight him and I'm trying to get to him, but than he just runs away. He runs so fast away that he trips. I do something stupid and chase after him because I'm pissed off. As I get near him the other guys jump out of the car and they come after me. Knowing I can't handle three guys coming from two different directions, I run. Than this guy pulls up on the corner and asks if I was okay, than I tell him that I'm being robbed. He tells me to get in while the guys that tried to rob me get into their car. I ask that guy that helped to chase them so we can get their license plate and than we go after them. We chase them for half a mile and get their license plate. Conveniently we find a cop on the street and we tell him what happened. Sadly, I was on such adrenaline that I couldn't make out the car or how the suspects looked. The license plate was 5YDG140 and I'm hoping that I remembered it right because those plates belong to someone in Valencia and it happened in Hawaiian Gardens. Now I have a swollen temple and those punks are still out there. Luckily I didn't get shot, stabbed or lose anything to them, but it sucks that this had to happen a block away from my house. This would have never happened if I was able to carry a weapon on me to defend myself because you never know when some stupid punks might do something to you. What would've happened if they did have a gun or a knife, I'd probably be dead.

N6ATF
12-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Might be stolen car... you might want to delete this in case it will show cause for a CCW.

The SoCal Gunner
12-10-2007, 12:13 AM
You'll need a mod to delete this thread. I'm sure a report was filed so that will go to your advantage if you ever apply.

Did you see it coming?

Just a reminder to be aware of your surroundings.

KracknCorn
12-10-2007, 12:30 AM
You'll need a mod to delete this thread. I'm sure a report was filed so that will go to your advantage if you ever apply.

Did you see it coming?

Just a reminder to be aware of your surroundings.

I thought I lived in a relatively safe area. Guess I was wrong. The fact that they had no visible weapons, I couldn't see their intent, plus I usually don't suspect people are out to do me harm. First time anything like this has happened to me. Sadly, I will watch people more closely now.

GSequoia
12-10-2007, 12:37 AM
That's what you need to do man, be aware at all times.

That doesn't mean paranoid, just aware.

Really I don't see a concealed weapon being much good here, you were caught off guard, if you had fumbled for the weapon there is a good chance he'd have gotten a free gun.

bigthaiboy
12-10-2007, 1:01 AM
Is your residential address in Hawaiian Gardens? Is that O.C. or L.A. County? If it's O.C. your chances of getting a CCW are much better.

KracknCorn
12-10-2007, 1:16 AM
That's what you need to do man, be aware at all times.

That doesn't mean paranoid, just aware.

Really I don't see a concealed weapon being much good here, you were caught off guard, if you had fumbled for the weapon there is a good chance he'd have gotten a free gun.

The initial attack was what caught me off guard, but I was able to defend myself enough to have open opportunities to readily pull out a weapon. This situation may not have needed a weapon because I am alive, but this situation could repeat itself in a more dangerous way and I would like a better option than fighting 3 guys on 1.

rorschach
12-10-2007, 2:01 AM
Sadly, HG is right on the LA/OC border...on the LA side. Fat chance....hopefully some of this CCW madness will change in our lifetime.

The SoCal Gunner
12-10-2007, 2:18 AM
Even though you were caught off guard I think having a CCW would have either prevented further injury from yourself and/or get those guys off the street.

When I was younger, I got into many situations where a CCW would have been helpful, but of course I was too young then. Myself and 2 other friends were blindsided once when we were sitting on a bench outside of a restaurant. Two gang-bangers who were much older than us came around the corner, which was about 5 feet from us, and started bashing us with a pipe and a wrench. I was lucky enough to be the furthest away from the attack and blocked the pipe with my elbow that was aimed at my head. My friend wasn't so lucky and took it in the head. Well after I blocked the pipe I got on my feet and faced off with the guy. He was standing a few feet in front of me now speaking gang lingo and all I had to defend myself with was a soda can which I threw at his head which hit. We stood there for a few more seconds while he announced his gang affiliation but he didn't attack me again. Had I had a CCW and been old enough, that would be one less gang banger to worry about.

There are situations where you have time to pull out a piece even if you are caught off guard but most likely these are situations don't involved criminals with guns.

Giovani X
12-10-2007, 2:59 AM
Surefire, Knife, Pepperspray...."EDC"....Every Day Carry...Everyday!!!
Hose em down with the pepper , light em up with the light and draw your knife, keeping it out of view and at the ready should some degenerate think he can still fight with most of his vision obscured. Three on one should be plenty of justification, should you need to draw blood. And I'll put dollars to doughnuts that after you cut the first one, the other's will leave him behind to save their own butts... Sorry to hear about your situation, don't let it scare you, and be sure not to think about it too much... the would have, should have, could have is way worse then getting home safe to your loved ones after that experience. Be safe.

CalNRA
12-10-2007, 4:10 AM

the majority of the time when you need a CCW you are caught off guard. that's why training is essential to a CCW holder. Otherwise by your argument, no one needs a CCW(pretty much the argument from the anti-CCW people in the first place: you will fumble and lose your gun, blah blah blah)

Stormfeather
12-10-2007, 4:55 AM
Situational Awareness my friend. That is what you have now gained. Its that little level of awaredness thats below paranoia, but ranks around "spidey-sense"! :D Anytime Im walking out & about, im always watching. Its not being shift-eyed or anything like that, I m just paying attention to my surroundings. Its things like this that will save your butt when mishaps like the one you experienced happened. Kudos to you for taking a stand, next time pay more attention to the attackers, clothing, hair style and eyes, are key, this helps bring them all into focus afterwarsd when you are describing them IMHO. Good luck on that ccw!

PonchoTA
12-10-2007, 5:04 AM
Sadly, self-defense is not a cause worthy of justifying a CCW. If you carry lots of gold, jewelry or money it is, but to protect your own life, Cali does not see that as a good reason.
:(

Res
12-10-2007, 7:15 AM
Surefire, Knife, Pepperspray...."EDC"....Every Day Carry...Everyday!!!
Hose em down with the pepper , light em up with the light and draw your knife, keeping it out of view and at the ready should some degenerate think he can still fight with most of his vision obscured. Three on one should be plenty of justification, should you need to draw blood. And I'll put dollars to doughnuts that after you cut the first one, the other's will leave him behind to save their own butts... Sorry to hear about your situation, don't let it scare you, and be sure not to think about it too much... the would have, should have, could have is way worse then getting home safe to your loved ones after that experience. Be safe.

Giovani, i hear what your saying. But sometimes pepperspray isn't enough.

just a few threads down
man shot while defending self with pepper spray (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=77607)

ask80
12-10-2007, 8:45 AM
not to be mean, but i don't think there are any safe areas in HG. i live in OC ,somewhat close to there.. and i definitely don't see any safe/nice areas... =P

KracknCorn
12-10-2007, 9:02 AM
not to be mean, but i don't think there are any safe areas in HG. i live in OC ,somewhat close to there.. and i definitely don't see any safe/nice areas... =P

I live in lakewood, which is bordering the edge HG. My area used to be nice but now the ghettoness is spilling over to my side. I used to go deep into HG without any problems, but HG is really ghetto and I would never call it a safe area.

WolfMansDad
12-10-2007, 9:20 AM
Sounds like a taser might be the ticket, at least while waiting for your ccw application to be processed. We discussed this in the "pepper spray" thread, and I learned some useful things about tasers I didn't know.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=77607&page=3

Three on one is not so bad if the one has a taser, and the three don't have any firearms. (Big IF!) Zap the first. Plaster the second while he's staring in horror at the first flopping around on the ground and screaming. Then your odds are one-on-one. The last guy is going to be somewhat demoralized by this point and may just run away.

ibbryn
12-10-2007, 11:40 AM
I'll just repeat what everyone has already told you: situational awareness.

The only time you can be in condition white is when you are in your fortress (house) with the doors bolted and the security systems (dog, lights, alarms) activated.

I'll also add that a course like Southnarc's ECQC (Extreme Close Quarters Combat) or some other FOF training is really essential. Many of the scenarios in the course start off with you fully armed and your opponent unarmed. It blew me away how difficult it was to get a weapon into play in a situation where you are ambushed or attacked by ruse.

I had thought having a gun was a fight ender -- not at all.

M5police
12-11-2007, 9:29 AM
Be glad you are alive and ok. Next time throw in support when a Federal law for nationalwide CCW comes out. That way if CA wont issue you one, then go to NV and get an out of state one and you can use it in CA. But thats just wishful thinking...

tombinghamthegreat
12-11-2007, 9:56 AM
Good luck on your CCW and I wish my parents could at least get one, since someone did actually try to break in and make terriorist threats according to the cops. Well carry something for defense. I carry a few knives and pepper spray. Not the best defense but...not much of a choice. You could always just carry a gun illegally but their is the risk of jail time and losing all your guns. Or try blackmailing a few cops to get a CCW......at your own risk of course.