PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Super-X buck shot?

elenius
12-09-2007, 10:21 PM
I checked my local Walmart for the 12 ga 2.75" Remington 00 buck value packs, but they're always out. This time, they had something new, however: Winchester Super-X 00 buck shot value packs, 15 shells for about $7.50. I cleaned them out, but I haven't tried them yet. Any experiences on these in 870s?

Moonclip
12-09-2007, 10:24 PM
I've used the slugs, couple of years back packed in the same 15rd deal for like $5.47. No problems.

fireblast713
12-09-2007, 10:49 PM
how many is cleaning them out?

rue
12-09-2007, 11:47 PM
I checked my local Walmart for the 12 ga 2.75" Remington 00 buck value packs, but they're always out. This time, they had something new, however: Winchester Super-X 00 buck shot value packs, 15 shells for about $7.50. I cleaned them out, but I haven't tried them yet. Any experiences on these in 870s?

I bought a pack of the 15 and they seem pretty good to me. At 10-15 yards they'll scatter 9 pellets in a circle wherever you aim at on paper. I shot them through my Mossi 500 though not an 870. The results should be exactly the same though. My gf shot a couple and she did good with them. I actually want to try some 3" next time but not sure if they have a value pack for those..

elenius
12-10-2007, 7:20 AM
$5.50 for 15 slugs? I also use their slugs, but they're almost $5 for 5 slugs now!

They only had 6 boxes, and yet, of course, the girl working there goes "you want ALL of them!?"

Two Shots
12-10-2007, 7:44 AM
I shoot them thru my 870 and an old ithaca 37 with no problem. the 870 barrel is a modified choke and the Ithaca is full choke both funtion great with these. Never had a fail to fire or fail to eject,Stout recoil. They hold a tight pattern at 15yds and not a big difference between the Mod and Full choke on the spread. Honestly the 870 eats everything without a problem. The ithaca has only had problems with Estate brand shells (ripped the base off of a few rounds) I believe you'll be happy with these rounds. Using winchester slugs in my 870 at 100 yds they are in the black.

elenius
12-10-2007, 9:18 AM
I shoot them thru my 870 and an old ithaca 37 with no problem. the 870 barrel is a modified choke and the Ithaca is full choke both funtion great with these. Never had a fail to fire or fail to eject,Stout recoil. They hold a tight pattern at 15yds and not a big difference between the Mod and Full choke on the spread. Honestly the 870 eats everything without a problem. The ithaca has only had problems with Estate brand shells (ripped the base off of a few rounds) I believe you'll be happy with these rounds. Using winchester slugs in my 870 at 100 yds they are in the black.

The 870 has an Improved Cylinder choke.
I've found that it does NOT like Federal shells of any kind, and I know at least two other ppl that have the same problem with their 870s.

I've also found that the super-x slugs sometimes hang up on the ejection port and don't eject properly, like their rims are too wide or something, but that may just be my technique. Never happened with Remington shells though, those always work.

In the black on what size of black circle? :)

Two Shots
12-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Mostly Silhouette targets and the 3 shot goups will stay in the chest area 10'' off the sand bags . The 870 I have is not the riot pump, thats why it has a modified choke. I've shot Federals,Berenneke,Remington and Winchester and have had no ejection issues. As a side note using shell adaptors can also be fun in a shotgun.http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=881180&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

This is an older 870 with the fixed choke 28" bbl

mds2004
12-10-2007, 2:40 PM
The 870 has an Improved Cylinder choke.

its possible his has a changeable choke or fixed choke in a 28" bbl

Spiggy
12-10-2007, 3:11 PM
it'll take out a squad(3 stacked pyramid) of enemy cans at 50 yards just fine out of my norinco trench

mike100
12-10-2007, 3:22 PM
If it is what I think tit is, it is just run of the mill buckshot. I'm pretty sure it isn't even buffered, but it may have copper plated pellets.

The hulls and brass are pretty decent though.

The next step up would be something like winchester ranger buffered buckshot and then others with special wads like honady TAP or federal tactical.

dw1784
12-10-2007, 4:40 PM
If it is what I think tit is, it is just run of the mill buckshot. I'm pretty sure it isn't even buffered, but it may have copper plated pellets.

The hulls and brass are pretty decent though.

The next step up would be something like winchester ranger buffered buckshot and then others with special wads like honady TAP or federal tactical.

if it's XB1200LR, it's actually very similar to older Fed LE127's. Not as tight but good enough for practice. 9 pellet lead buffered, aluminum base. I prefer these to wolf, pmc, s&b, fiocchi for plinking.

Ranger's good. Skip TAP and get the LE133 flitecontrols. It's worth it:)

elenius
12-10-2007, 8:02 PM
its possible his has a changeable choke or fixed choke in a 28" bbl

My bad, I was thinking about 870P's, specifically.

sleepur606
12-10-2007, 9:08 PM
I got what seemed like a good deal on the Winchester Super-X at the local Costa Mesa gun show a couple weeks back. 500 rounds. I put them through my new 870 Express Magnum, straight from Big 5 this past weekend. Put about 200 through and only had one fail to eject. Round got lodged in the chamber and tried to cycle the following round, ended up being the last two in the load. Anyway, got the unfired shell out, and just cycled the action again and the FTE popped right out.
The shells seem to get hung up in the ejection port if you don't cycle the action real smooth. If it's a little jerky, like I tend to be as a novice shooter, they like staying in the port.
Anyway, a good shot none the less. Patterned real well. Put all the pellets in a 6" circle at 25 yards. Managed to kill a real estate sign twice.

Later
Chris

tatsuosan1964
12-10-2007, 9:51 PM
$5.50 for 15 slugs? I also use their slugs, but they're almost $5 for 5 slugs now!

They only had 6 boxes, and yet, of course, the girl working there goes "you want ALL of them!?"

I recently purchased several boxes of (5) slugs, Winchester Super X at Walmart for right around $3.00 per box.

I have an older 870 Police, purchased new in 1982 and it eats anything that I've tried in it. Remington, Winchester, Federal, both buckshot and slugs. The only shells that I had any problems with were some birdshot loads many years ago where the entire shell was made of plastic. No metal base at all. The 870 would rip right through the bases and not eject the spent shell. All the rest work great though.

Moonclip
12-10-2007, 9:57 PM
I think the no metal base brand is Activ. It worked in my guns though,it has metal inside under the plastic. Kindof strange though.