PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to The Gun Room in Elk Grove

MrTuffPaws
12-09-2007, 8:41 PM
I was there today teaching a coworker and his brother to shoot (they loved it), and before they arrived I was in the gun store section browsing when a woman walked in and stated that she sadly had to sell her guns.

One of the workers took her aside and told her that a lot of gun stores give you 10 to 30 percent of what they plan to sell it for, and that The Gun Room only gives 50 cents to the dollar they will price it at. Then he basically told her that she would lose a lot of money selling to them. I was amazed.

She had a Taurus 85 and what looked like a Beretta 92. The guy then told her the prices that they sell for new and what they would pay her for them. She said that she paid close to a thousand for both of them and was amazed that she couldn't get anymore money for them. She then asked how to sell them privately and he told her the exact steps, and not to meet with potential buyers unless they were at a gun store.

I stepped in and told her to go to Big Horn and see if she could sell them on consignment there, and explained what consignment was. The guy behind the counter agreed completely.

A big kudos to the honesty of the employees of The Gun Room.

As she was leaving, she asked for the name of Big Horn again, and I asked to see the 85. I am actually shopping around for one. It was a really nice gun, maybe shot once, but has the shiny stainless finish that I hate. I was planing to offer $200 right there for it, but She then asked me what she could ask for consignment in consignment and not get laughed at, and that she was selling it because she needed money for property taxes. I told her $275 was pushing it, and $300 she could try, but it was a long shot, and that I don't know anything about Berettas. I decided not offer her $200 that I was planning too and wished her luck.

Still though, I was amazed at the truthfulness of the employee. Grats to you who every you are. It is nice to know that honest people like you are still around.

586L-Frame
12-09-2007, 9:39 PM
I was there today teaching a coworker and his brother to shoot (they loved it), and before they arrived I was in the gun store section browsing when a woman walked in and stated that she sadly had to sell her guns.

One of the workers took her aside and told her that a lot of gun stores give you 10 to 30 percent of what they plan to sell it for, and that The Gun Room only gives 50 cents to the dollar they will price it at. Then he basically told her that she would lose a lot of money selling to them. I was amazed.

She had a Taurus 85 and what looked like a Beretta 92. The guy then told her the prices that they sell for new and what they would pay her for them. She said that she paid close to a thousand for both of them and was amazed that she couldn't get anymore money for them. She then asked how to sell them privately and he told her the exact steps, and not to meet with potential buyers unless they were at a gun store.

I stepped in and told her to go to Big Horn and see if she could sell them on consignment there, and explained what consignment was. The guy behind the counter agreed completely.

A big kudos to the honesty of the employees of The Gun Room.

As she was leaving, she asked for the name of Big Horn again, and I asked to see the 85. I am actually shopping around for one. It was a really nice gun, maybe shot once, but has the shiny stainless finish that I hate. I was planing to offer $200 right there for it, but She then asked me what she could ask for consignment in consignment and not get laughed at, and that she was selling it because she needed money for property taxes. I told her $275 was pushing it, and $300 she could try, but it was a long shot, and that I don't know anything about Berettas. I decided not offer her $200 that I was planning too and wished her luck.

Still though, I was amazed at the truthfulness of the employee. Grats to you who every you are. It is nice to know that honest people like you are still around.

Did you get her number?
Where's Big Horn location?
I'm interested in the Taurus 85. She had two of them?
586L-Frame

MrTuffPaws
12-09-2007, 9:47 PM
Did you get her number?
Where's Big Horn location?
I'm interested in the Taurus 85. She had two of them?
586L-Frame

No I did not get her number. Big Horn is in El Dorado east of Sacramento.

She had one 85 and one Beratta 92.

Bobula
12-09-2007, 10:35 PM
I love the gun room, I bought my .270 from them. They're one of the few ranges around me that will actually confront someone being unsafe with a firearm!

MrTuffPaws
12-10-2007, 12:53 AM
I love the gun room, I bought my .270 from them. They're one of the few ranges around me that will actually confront someone being unsafe with a firearm!

Yeah, someone was undergoing some form of testing that included rapid fire. One of the guys that I was showing the ropes too decided to try it too. 6 or 7 rounds down the range before I can tap him on the shoulder and tell him to stop. About 2 minutes later, the range master comes in and instructs us all to step back actions open and gives us the speech. We apologized and were thanked for being honest.

Stormfeather
12-10-2007, 4:45 AM
Nine times out of ten, that was usually me giving someone the "speech" when it came to rapid firing. I did the off duty ccw qualifications for LEO's there and they usually did rapid fire, so it wasnt unusual for someone to see that and try it themselves. Ive always been a fan of the Gun Rooms policies when it came to letting the customers know the exact reasons behind the pricing. I once had a lady come in with a ton of really expensive guns as I wished we could give them more for them, but couldnt, but we did exactly what the guy above said. Alot of times you could go in and see 3-4 of the same gun but all with different pricing. same make/model, just priced differently. That was because their truth in pricing standard. Some folks knock the gun room because of their pricing and because they arent OLL friendly, but I always did like the place. And trust me, I gave the boss's there tons and tons of info in regards to OLL's to try and get them onboard. ShopKeep was the one who gave me the majority of the literature and this site helped contribute alot as well. They ultimately decided they was too close to DOJ/BOF home to risk it being as how it was a brand new facility. Easy to talk trash when it isnt your million+ dollars on the line I guess.

EdinKali
12-10-2007, 7:57 AM
Been going to them for years, even when they were in that little strip mall on Elk Grove Blvd. Always enjoyed Mike's sense of humor. He cracks me up.

45R
12-10-2007, 8:06 AM
Everything that has been posted does not surprise me one bit. They have a lot of good people working the range and retail side. My only complaint is that it takes near a hour to do a DROS or PPT. At least the hour goes quick and the folks their are very entertaining. Kudos to GR.

Bobula
12-10-2007, 8:09 AM
Everything that has been posted does not surprise me one bit. They have a lot of good people working the range and retail side. My only complaint is that it takes near a hour to do a DROS or PPT. At least the hour goes quick and the folks their are very entertaining. Kudos to GR.

It may take them an hour, but anyone ever had to drive back cause they messed up? *cough cough* turners *cough cough*

Stormfeather
12-10-2007, 5:27 PM

Wow, things must have really went down since I left, We used to pride ourselves on doing a dros as fast as the customer could fill out the 4473 and get it done without mistakes. But yes, great crew of folks that work there.

USN CHIEF
12-10-2007, 6:20 PM
Samething similar happened at Discount Gun Mart in San Diego. This lady walked in with a Beretta 92fs and wanted to sell it back to the store because her hubby died. I overheard the conversation with the store employee while I was filling out a DROS. The employee told her flat out that they would only give her $200 for the gun and that her best option was to do a PTP sell at the gun store. I started talking to the lady and looked at the gun. I offered $300 and bought the gun.

Fjold
12-10-2007, 6:47 PM
Wow, there's a good gunstore employee story. It's nice to see someone post a good experience.

Turbinator
12-10-2007, 7:35 PM
Been there a couple times for range use, pretty impressed so far with the cleanliness of the store and the courtesy of the employees. Thumbs up from me so far!

Turby

SkyMag68
12-10-2007, 9:54 PM
I was there on the weekend with my OLL Stag m4 equip .22LR Conversion kit..
Show it to the guy at counter he say it within letter of the law..:Dyup
We were in there for hours..great place to shoot

jess
12-11-2007, 7:56 PM
I bought my XD there. Good guys. Lots of paperwork but we got it done. My only grip is they don't stock up more on cheap ammo! Either that or its all gone when I come by.:D