PDA

View Full Version : Wher to shoot in Thousand Oaks?

gunslinger387
12-09-2007, 7:21 PM
My father in law is having some health issues and isn't able to run up mountains like he wished he could. I am visiting for a week around Christmas and was wonder if there was any good shooting spots. I'm not looking for ranges but more informal places where you can be outside and do some plinking at cans and the like.

Kevin

CSACANNONEER
12-09-2007, 7:33 PM
Unless you know someone with enough private property, I would not suggest it. The Agoura Target Range is just down the road in the Whizen's Center.

odesskiy
12-09-2007, 7:46 PM
Last time I went to Agoura (couple of monts ago) they told me that they lost their lease and were on the verge of closing down. That was the reason they weren't offering any memberships any more, but they were happy to charge me $18 (:mad:) for a one day pass. I haven't been back since - ammo prices are already through the roof, can't afford a $18 surcharge on every range trip.

hung380
12-09-2007, 7:52 PM
shooters paradise in oxnard or target range in agoura would be your best bet near thousand oaks area.

CSACANNONEER
12-09-2007, 8:03 PM
Don't you have to shoot lead free ammo at Shooter's Paradise? Also, what are their fees?

Gry101
12-10-2007, 8:23 AM
Yes there are fees and you must shoot lead free ammo that you buy there. I do not think that you can bring in your own ammo.

Andrew

Rob P.
12-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Yes there are fees and you must shoot lead free ammo that you buy there. I do not think that you can bring in your own ammo.

Andrew

You can bring your own ammo. However, it MUST BE clearly labeled as "lead free" or "cleanfire" in a factory sealed box.

For outdoor shooting try Wes Thompson's in Piru. It's a bit of a drive but it's a public outdoor range. Supposedly they're having a meet on Sunday 12/16 so you could drive on out and take a looksee when you know that the range will be open and someone present to talk to. I have plans to be there to check the place out.

You can google map it for directions but the range doesn't have a website.

Otherwise for outdoors shooting you're stuck with LA ranges or "A place to shoot" in Santa Clarita (or travel to the gun ranges in Santa Barbara or Rose Valley Gun Club or Cherry Canyon up in the LPNF). Agoura Target Range allows people to shoot up to .50 BMG in rifles but the distance is really short for long arms. And, at $18 it's expensive (even if you can shoot all day for that price).

Sixer
12-10-2007, 10:18 AM

Andrew

for pistols it has to be lead free, and if its a rental gun you have to use their ammunition. For rifles, u can use any ammunition you please, as well for shotguns. have been getting to use some cheap wolf ammunition out of my ak so i have been going there often

kurt_r
12-10-2007, 8:50 PM
Shooters Paradise :
If a caliber is available in a lead-free version, you are required to use it. If a caliber is not available in lead-free, you can use any Cal-legal ammo that is available. (No tracers, etc.) You are required to use their ammo in their rental guns.

gunslinger387
12-11-2007, 9:25 PM
Wow, no public land to go plinking? I thought San DIego was bad but we got some pretty good places just over an hours drive or so.

Thanks

Rob P.
12-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Wow, no public land to go plinking? I thought San DIego was bad but we got some pretty good places just over an hours drive or so.

Thanks

The Las Padres National forest is CLOSED to firearms except in designated areas (hunting excepted). This is not the same as the current closure for firearms and fire sources due to the dry conditions and fire danger.

The Santa Monica Mountains National Rec Area is CLOSED to firearms and there are NO designated target shooting areas.

Accessible County land here is usually leased to the oil co's or ranchers who post "no trespass/hunting" and enforce it.

What county land that isn't leased is federally protected (ie both of rivers in the county) due to the endangered steelhead (which I've never seen larger than a fingerling in person but I have seen pictures from the 1920's of them).

Thus, you either pay at a private range, shoot on private land, or drive to Cherry Canyon and put up with the yahoo's and trash.

gunslinger387
12-12-2007, 6:43 PM
I'm not very familiar with the area. How far away is Cherry Canyon?

Rob P.
12-12-2007, 8:32 PM
Go here: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=Maricopa+Highway+and+Chorro+Grande&city=ojai&state=ca&zipcode=

Cherry Canyon (Cherry Creek Road) is off the screen to the left a bit (grab and drag the map to see it). The shooting area is just up Cherry Creek Road from the intersection with the highway.

Zoom out until you see Ojai (about 4 "notches"). You can see how far it is from everything and it really IS a pretty long drive. There is NOTHING there but trash and glass. No bathroom, no water, no food, no shelter, and no range personnel. NOTHING.

Your best bet is to go to Piru (Wes Thompson's shooting range). It's much closer to T.O. than anything else. Highway 23 will take you to Fillmore and from there going east will get you to Piru. Turn left at the stoplight (main street). Main street turns into Piru Canyon Road. Turn right on Holser Canyon Road and keep going until you get to the range.

tombinghamthegreat
12-13-2007, 4:36 PM
shooters paradise is an ok place to go but it is in a bad part of town. Oak tree is a outdoor range that is good for shotguns and handguns but it is about a 40 minute drive. Agura I hear is strict, but i have never been there.

tombinghamthegreat
12-13-2007, 4:38 PM
Go here: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=Maricopa+Highway+and+Chorro+Grande&city=ojai&state=ca&zipcode=

Your best bet is to go to Piru (Wes Thompson's shooting range). It's much closer to T.O. than anything else.

Is this the best range to go to? What kind of guns can i bring to shoot? Just wondering because have not heard of this one.

CSACANNONEER
12-13-2007, 5:16 PM
] Agura I hear is strict, but i have never been there.

That's funny! I work there and sometimes I think we are too lax. You've probably never worked at a place where you rent guns to yahoos and then they close the actions and point them at you! Wether intentional or by accident, there is no excuse!

Josh3239
12-13-2007, 7:49 PM
shooters paradise is an ok place to go but it is in a bad part of town.

Ehh, I like Shooter's Paradise. Since I am not yet 21 I cannot go to Agoura. Although I caught crap from some guy behind the counter once about using a fixed mag AK with a muzzle brake (no joke), I have had lots of good experiences there.

That's funny! I work there and sometimes I think we are too lax. You've probably never worked at a place where you rent guns to yahoos and then they close the actions and point them at you! Wether intentional or by accident, there is no excuse!

Agoura isn't bad. Sometimes I go there with my co-worker who "supervises" me. CSACANNONEER, you work there? I go in there every now and then, I wonder if I have ever seen you. What do you look like?

CSACANNONEER
12-13-2007, 8:05 PM
Josh3239,
I've been working there for about 4 or 5 years but, only a few hours a month. I'm the fatest guy there, just over 40 with glasses. As for OLL etc., they really don't want anything to do with them. All I can say about their refusing to accept OLLs is that it's their bussiness and this is America where one should be free to run their bussiness as they see fit. I bought my OLLs from Pirate way back when. Now, if I need to DROS anything that needs a MM or BB, I'll go to Fort Courage Armory.

Josh3239
12-13-2007, 8:21 PM
Hmm, I don't think I have ever seen you there. I suppose between you working a few hours a month and me not being able to shoot there unless I am "supervised" it would be a fat chance.

Do you know their position on shooting OLLs? I generally try to keep what I am shooting as private as possible. The last time I was there with my co worker CHP showed up and we threw our OLLs in the rifle bags. Definetly not interested in talking to LE about my guns.

CSACANNONEER
12-13-2007, 8:39 PM
The general rule is you can shoot anything that you (legally) own. CI'm one of the few exception, they limit me to 50BMGs and smaller. You'ld be surprised how many LEOs shoot there. Most of them are regular shooters and aware of OLLs. I had an FBI agent look closely at my 14.5" M4 upper back in '02. The FH was silver soldered so, that ended that. I doubt he would have done anything anyway. We were just talking and the subject came up. I think that he wanted to inform me of the law to keep me out of trouble since, we had a few things in common. We even worked the same plane crash back in 1987.

tombinghamthegreat
12-13-2007, 9:33 PM

I heard it was strict only because of the 21 age rule. But if I had someone that was 21 with me, am i still not allowed on the range(at age 19)?