PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on AR aftermarket triggers

Teletiger7
12-09-2007, 7:08 PM
Does anybody have experiences to share or recommendations on after market triggers that wont have the creep and overtravel that I experience on my stock triggers? I have only experienced shooting the stock triggers. I have searched around a bit and found some good reviews about various brands of two-stage 2 stage triggers(RRA,Timney,etc) How does it change the trigger feel? Does it increase the length of pull? I'd appreciate any info.

ocabj
12-09-2007, 7:20 PM
If we're talking CMP and NRA Service Rifle legal, the Geissele is widely considered to be the best. I use the Geissele. It has a clean break with zero creep.

A friend of mine who just went Distinguished (Rifle) this past month uses a Jewell 2-stage and he claims he has 15,000 rounds with it on (and countless dry firings). He is very happy with it. He is an excellent shooter and is probably the best shooter that I know personally. The Jewell 2-stage does not hinder his performance, from what I've seen.

As far as the other triggers, I can't comment with any personal or reliable second hand knowledge, but I'm sure plenty of people on here have some of the other triggers and can give insight.

I should add that I did dry fire one of the RRA 2-stage triggers that a member at my local club had on his service rifle build (RRA NM upper) and it felt like a decent trigger. But it definitely had some minor 'creep' before the sear would trip after that 2nd stage. I didn't test live fire it, but it did feel like it would be very problematic in standing. Next time I see him at the range, I'll ask him if I can test fire his gun (live) in 200 yard standing to get a better gauge of the trigger.

From what I was told, the Milazzo-Krieger (or Krieger-Milazzo) is *the* best trigger, but it's no longer made. The USAMU service rifle team members still use the Milazzo in competition. Now that it's no longer available, the Geissele pretty much took it's place.

bwiese
12-09-2007, 7:25 PM
I'm happy with the RRA 2-stage, esp for the price.

Reliable, no fitment problems, etc. The way it's tuned it's nice for general use but good on bench too.

I'm still getting used to mine as I've grown so used to my other gritty military triggers that I know exactly how many 'grit steps' they'll break.

damon1272
12-09-2007, 7:29 PM
I wasn't crazy about my RRA trigger so I ended up putting a JP in one rifle and a timney in the other. I am happy with both triggers.

rksimple
12-09-2007, 8:47 PM
My RRA has been great. May get a Geissele in the future. For now, the RRA (with WOA upper) is providing me sub MOA peformance.

NRAhighpowershooter
12-09-2007, 9:06 PM
Jewel triggers on my SpaceGun as well as my Service Rifle...

arfan66
12-09-2007, 10:34 PM
I've got a Chip McCormick trigger in my 6.8 build. Very crisp break with no overtravel and it's usually less than $200 shipped.

ar15barrels
12-10-2007, 1:13 AM
I have RRA, Timney, Jewel & LMT triggers here if you want to feel them side by side.

Teletiger7
12-10-2007, 10:12 PM
I have RRA, Timney, Jewel & LMT triggers here if you want to feel them side by side.

I might just have to take you up on that offer :)

12-12-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm happy with the RRA 2-stage, esp for the price.

Reliable, no fitment problems, etc. The way it's tuned it's nice for general use but good on bench too.

I'm still getting used to mine as I've grown so used to my other gritty military triggers that I know exactly how many 'grit steps' they'll break.

+1 For all the reason Bill has stated. They are as simple to install as the military triggers. For my 24" paper puncher, I have a Timney.

Sgt Raven
12-12-2007, 10:25 PM
+1 For all the reason Bill has stated. They are as simple to install as the military triggers. For my 24" paper puncher, I have a Timney.

Timney has been making aftermarket triggers for some time and I don't see him offering one for an AR without doing his homework.

chunger
12-16-2007, 3:17 PM
Seems the IPSC folks have been running JP triggers for a long time, and the reliability and feel is quite proven if installed properly, and JP installs them for a small fee if needs be.

The CMC unit is the one I'm tempted to try due to ease of install, and the price is comparable to the JP if you figure in a lightened hammer.

ar15barrels
12-16-2007, 6:56 PM
Timney has been making aftermarket triggers for some time and I don't see him offering one for an AR without doing his homework.

So you did not see all the complaints of doubling and the quick re-design and recall in the first few months after Timney released their AR triggers?

randy
12-20-2007, 3:59 AM
I've shot or got JP with hammer, Accuracy Speaks, RRA, Chip McCormick and a tuned up Jard.

The Jard was the lightest and very crisp $180 installed. It has a reputation for doubleing if you don't have it installed by somebody in the know, if you are trying to push the envelope of getting a light trigger.

The JP is very nice send it to JP for installation $200 to maybe $250 after installation and shipping. You can't say enough good about JP products and them as a company. JP rifles and uppers are the best you will shoot in action matches, I don't shoot hi power so I don't know if JP builds a Hi Power gun.

With a 4 power scope laying in the back of a pickup my friend shot a 3 round group covered by a dime at 300 yards. He was shooting a CTR-02 18" barrel with a JP trigger. If someone installs a JP and doesn't know exactly what they are doing it will double.

Chip McCormick the one I shot I'd say save your $$$.

RRA big improvement for the least amount of $$$, a couple of steps up from the Chip McCormick and cheaper.

The AS trigger and hammer are very good drop in very crisp not as light as the JP or tuned Jard. The AS is in my primary AR installed with a Yellow Tavern trigger return spring. I've had it in for four or five years and has been perfect since day one.

Others might have different experiences with triggers and shot other models these were my experiences.

For another primary rifle I'd still use the AS trigger for secondary rifles I'd use stock or a RRA.

3GunFunShooter
12-20-2007, 8:41 AM
I hate to agree with Randy, but the JP is the way to go.

uscbigdawg
12-21-2007, 1:54 AM
JP is the standard by which all the others are measured. Period. In my oldest 3-Gun rifle (JP Grade III) from back in the mid-90's, that trigger & hammer combo has easily over 150k on it. I've changed the springs twice. Awesome triggers and they do work. I installed it myself, so that means ANYONE can.

Also too, for the CMC crowd, JP does offer a modular trigger too. It's simply awesome and the new rifle will be sporting it, if only to demo to friends/customers.

Rich

30Cal
12-21-2007, 10:25 AM
I have the Geiselle, and it's superb.

bear308
12-24-2007, 12:42 PM
JP all the way, if you have some experience installing triggers and the right tools than it is pretty easy overall to install it. If you do get stuck you can send the whole thing to JP and have them install it. Not an installation for beginners, but a great system over all.

The Jard triggers are nice, but not as well thought out as the JP. They are cheaper though. Mine required the same tools to install as my JP. Much cheaper, needs more loctite than a JP as well.

bruce_ventura
12-25-2007, 11:36 PM
White Oak Armament sells a nice CMP-legal (4.5 lbs) 2-stage trigger for $120. They start with a Rock River trigger and tune it up a bit. I have one in my service rifle (also from WOA) and like it a lot. Hard to beat for the money.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

echan308
06-18-2008, 1:50 PM
I have a Jewell, a Geissele service, and a Geisele match. The Jewell is a vast, vast improvement over the stock trigger but I'd have to say the Geissele is a whole level above the Jewell. I'd probably recommend the Geissele service (4.5lb 1st stage) for most applications. It already feels obnoxiously light given that the break is so clean.

C.G.
06-18-2008, 9:42 PM
I have a single stage and a two stage Chip McCormicks and they are good. After shooting friend's Geiselle, however, that is what I would recommend; too bad they are pricey.