PDA

View Full Version : Legally importing Assault Weapons into CA

mike3026
12-09-2007, 5:29 PM
I am currently in the Army and based in a free state. I have lawfully purchased many "assault rifles" during this time. After I get out of the Army, I want to go back to California and live there. Does anyone know how I can bring my property with me legally? What can I do in this situation?

bwiese
12-09-2007, 5:38 PM
(1) If you are active duty Army being stationed here, you can get a Military AW Permit (MAWP) from DOJ for importing and possessing your AWs here while you are in service. If you separate service in CA, you have to move your AWs outta CA because your permit ends.

Note that a military AW permit does NOT give you permission to import hicap mags.

Calgunner 'CavTrooper' has info on MAWP process details, PM him. GET THE PERMIT BEFORE YOU IMPORT THE AWs.

(2) As a regular person (not in .mil) you cannot import/possess such AWs in CA after retiring. You'll have to move to another state, sorry.

(3) For AWs that are *not* banned by specific make/model, there are ways to retain them in modified form - using a fixed 10rd or less magazine that requires a tool to remove (so it does not meet the legally defined standard for 'detachable magazine'). Alternately AR-type rifles can have a special "MonsterMan grip' attached which is not considered a pistol grip (as long as no flash hider or telestock or forward grip attached). These grips are also available for AK-type rifles.

M. Sage
12-09-2007, 5:40 PM
You can check the models against the list of banned firearms, then either go fixed-magazine or "featureless" (no pistol grip, no flash hider, no telescoping or folding stock, no thumbhole stock and a couple of other idiotic things) if they're not on the list.

But, no, you won't be able to register assault weapons in CA anymore...

CavTrooper
12-09-2007, 5:51 PM
DO NOT MOVE INTO CALIFORNIA! Especially if youve spent ANY time in better places like the south or midwest. CALIFORNIA SUCKS! Housing is overpriced, quality of people in general is very poor, the laws are retarded, the job market sucks.
Stay in the south, Georgia, Florida, South or North Carolina, anywhere but here.

bwiese
12-09-2007, 6:45 PM
So you guys are saying I can have a collapsable buttstock, flash suppressor, and pistol grip on my AK as long as there is a fixed 10 rd mag?

Yep.

And I wonder if I can get a AW permit after I get out because tecnically I am still in the service for 8 years I'm just not activated.

Nope. Active duty/stationed in CA is what the permit is for.

bwiese
12-09-2007, 6:46 PM
the job market sucks. ???

Hmm????

Steyr_223
12-09-2007, 7:23 PM
"the job market sucks. ???"

Sure, if are doing gardening and have to compete against illegals..
We are importing so many H1Bs from India for my company since we can't find enough quality programmers or IT folks..

hoffmang
12-09-2007, 7:31 PM
The tech job market is tight! My payroll is showing the signs of high demand and low supply...

-Gene

Spitfire75
12-09-2007, 8:15 PM
The tech job market is tight! My payroll is showing the signs of high demand and low supply...

-Gene
+1! For what I do, I get paid VERY well. Almost well enough to afford ammo for my hungry AR and 1911... ;) I'm not rich, but I make a decent amount of cash.

bwiese
12-09-2007, 8:17 PM
You know this stuff is really pissing me off. I see all these ways to totally ruin your assault rifles to make them legal in CA and it makes me sick. Why hasn't people risen up against these bs policies in the courts? I only know of one failed attempt but I don't really understand how this type of policy can pass by the courts as Constitutional!

For right now, the 2nd Amendment doesn't exist in CA. (incorporation matters, etc.)

With Parker/Heller and successor cases we can change that.

The people *here* are. NRA's putting a lot of time/money/effort in the fight.
There's a lotta holes in CA AW that we've exploited and the DOJ reactions/ conduct will be very helpful in future cases.

How can you help? Move here, register to vote, make sure you're an NRA member. Stay tuned in here and to http://www.calnra.com...

JALLEN
12-09-2007, 9:18 PM
If the job market is tight, I suspect it is in part because while there are a good many people wanting work, looking for work, only a small portion of those are able to actually work, in the sense of showing up, putting in a day's work, getting the job done, etc. Many of them don't want work, they want to be on somebody's payroll.

artherd
12-09-2007, 10:21 PM
The Job Market in CA is #5. In the world.

Telling someone to stick to Georgia for jobs is, well, asinine.

Lately, I am having constant trouble finding qualified people, as are all employers in CA.

Addax
12-10-2007, 9:24 AM

-Gene

+1 Same goes for me here.

Problem is not the availability of jobs, but the availability of truly qualified people to fulfill job openings (at least in our part of the IT world, IT Hardware Operations and Lifecycle Management).

12-10-2007, 10:13 AM
DO NOT MOVE INTO CALIFORNIA! Especially if youve spent ANY time in better places like the south or midwest. CALIFORNIA SUCKS! Housing is overpriced, quality of people in general is very poor, the laws are retarded, the job market sucks.
Stay in the south, Georgia, Florida, South or North Carolina, anywhere but here.

When did CavTrooper get banned??

11Z50
12-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Cav Trooper got banned?????

I certainly feel for Mike's dilemma. If you have employable skills, the PRK is indeed the place to go. You have to put up with some BS just to live here, but it's where the money is. Besides, if your a native of the PRK it is nice to come home. I'll probably take some serious flak over what I'm about to suggest, but.........

My .02 is to sell your PRK-illegal stuff and bite the bullet. I know it sounds crazy, but in order to live here and be hassle-free it's the best bet. Soon, I hope, due to the efforts of Bweise and others, we can change things. But for now, I wouldn't want to even attempt to do the paperwork with DOJ. Come home, makes some $$$$$ and buy some new stuff.

Once you are here and settled in there are many options you can look at. The good news is you can bring your pistols, and you can use those hi-caps you stored in Mom's closet before you went on active duty. :cool2:

USN CHIEF
12-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Cav Trooper banned:eek: I will never say anything bad about Kamifornia...:Angel_anim:

12-10-2007, 2:57 PM

Is this negative? I think it is just his opinion, but it is his last post.:confused:

USN CHIEF
12-10-2007, 3:17 PM
Moderators, why did Cavtrooper get Banned? :hide::eek:

pnkssbtz
12-10-2007, 8:19 PM
AZ is close to CA... but here in SoCal and at the bay area the women are smokin! Can't resist the sunshine state!

Where else can you go surfing, horseback riding, shopping at a the worlds most popular stores and skiing all in the same day? (Wait till go skiing and see the snow bunnies in bikinis =P)

E Pluribus Unum
12-11-2007, 11:36 AM

-Gene

I'm good.... and I need a job... :)

I will sub-contract.... no payroll taxes... no labor board BS... works out well for both. :)

hoffmang
12-11-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm good.... and I need a job... :)

I will sub-contract.... no payroll taxes... no labor board BS... works out well for both. :)

EPU: Hit the_quark with your resume and what type of position you'd be best in.

-Gene