PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Convert AR 2 position stock to 4 or 6 position stock

shonc99
12-09-2007, 2:37 PM
This is a quick how to on converting your AR 2 position stock into a 4 or 6 position stock.

History: I bought a used Colt 2 position stock at a gunshow and decided I wanted to make it a 6 position stock.

Tools and materials:
1. 2 position stock
2. Center punch (highly recommended)
3. 5/16" drill bit (or whatever size your holes are)
4. Measuring stick (Calipers also hightly recommended)
5. V block to hold buffer tube (while drilling)
6. Drill press

1. Ensure firearm in unloaded and remove stock in usual manner.
2. On the stock, pull straight out on the release lever while sliding off the rear section of the stock from the buffer tube. (Note: most stocks will come apart this way, some don't.) I learned that you could do this while doing this mod.
3. Measue out the distance between the centers of the original 2 stops. Mine measured 3.25

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q31/shonc99/12-09-07014.jpg

4. Since I am making a 6 Position stock I needed to know the distance between the stops. Since there are five segments between the 6 positions, DIVIDE 3.25" by 5 to get .65"

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q31/shonc99/12-09-07013.jpg

5. With the distance between the stops figured out, mark the locations however you want and USE THE CENTER PUNCH!! You don't want to drill into the side of the channel! (Drilling a smaller hole first helps keep things lined up.)

6. Using the original stops, set the drill press depth stop based on the original holes. (NOTE: the holes that you drill will not be a perfect flat bottom hole like the original, but it will not effect the function of the stops as the locking piece is spring loaded.)

7. Use some Aluminum black to darken the holes in if you want and re-assemble! Whala!!

Note: if something isn't clear or you need more photos, let me know.
Thanks

ar15barrels
12-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Rather than making a 6 position, it would be much more appealing to start with a 2 position buffer tube and figure out exactly where you wanted a mid-point to be and then drill just one extra hole.
Then you would have a customized stock that goes exactly where you want it to.
I personally like my stocks somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd hole on a 6 position buffer tube.

shonc99
12-10-2007, 7:01 AM
That is a very good point. I prefer having the stock completly closed, so it is a moot point for me, but some people should consider making a custom set point.

Thanks,
Shon

JPglee1
12-10-2007, 7:03 AM
Good write up!.... Believe it or not (Ill post pics eventually) I have a SEVEN position stock... Its a weird one for sure, I thought maybe it was modified as yours are, but the holes are all even and flat-bottomed.

Anyone else seen a 7 position???

J

Lon Moer
12-10-2007, 8:10 PM

4. Since I am making a 6 Position stock I needed to know the distance between the stops. Since there are five segments between the 6 positions, DIVIDE 3.25" by 5 to get .65"

The positions on a regular 6 position receiver extension are not evenly spaced. ;)

shonc99
12-10-2007, 8:23 PM
The positions on a regular 6 position receiver extension are not evenly spaced. ;)

It may depend on the stock. I have a four position that has three spaced close together with the last being fully collapsed. There was a previous post about making custom stops. While it would be a bit harder to figuire out, it would be more custom to the individual shooter.