PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun or Handgun - that's the Question?

SIGfreak
12-08-2007, 9:05 PM
Hello All fellow Californian gun enthouthiastics:

The BIG question is for home defense, which one is better HANDGUN or SHOTGUN? and Why?

CavTrooper
12-08-2007, 9:06 PM
shotgun.

ZombieKiller
12-08-2007, 9:07 PM
House ?

Apartment?

Condo?

Other people in dwelling?

All depends........

Knight
12-08-2007, 9:08 PM
Indeed. It depends on the living situation.

thisismyboomstick
12-08-2007, 9:08 PM
.50 BMG

Take out their vehicle before they even get to your house.

mike100
12-08-2007, 9:13 PM
hmm.. home protection (not carrying around all day)...

one ounce of lead at 1400 fps (or more)

less penetration danger to nearby structures

easier to aim accurately

cheaper

legally classified as a long gun so less hassle on transport and possession.

I'm going to have to say shotgun, but if that is the wrong answer, then get a revolver

downside of a SG. you have to learn how to use one..not as straight forward as a sixgun

-shortstroking or jamming on a semi auto
- easier for the longun to be taken away from you.

I still choose the SG.

SIGfreak
12-08-2007, 9:15 PM
[QUOTE=ZombieKiller;871880]

Apartment?

Condo?

QUOTE]

Apt. vs. Condo?? what difference does the ownership makes when you protecting yourself?

SIGfreak
12-08-2007, 9:20 PM
-shortstroking or jamming on a semi auto
- easier for the longun to be taken away from you.

I still choose the SG. Have you shot stockless shotguns with pistol grip? do they have high recoil? are they hard to control ?

mike100
12-08-2007, 9:20 PM

Apartment?

Condo?

QUOTE]

Apt. vs. Condo?? what difference does the ownership makes when you protecting yourself?

lol, if you are renting, the big holes the 12 gauge will make will only cause you to lose your security deposit. You can spackle over pistol caliber bulletholes.

Knight
12-08-2007, 9:22 PM

Apartment?

Condo?

QUOTE]

The difference is important in that apartments and condos are generally smaller and more cramped than houses. Overpenetration also becomes a more important issue, as you are most likely sharing at least one wall with another apartment/condo.

DedEye
12-08-2007, 9:27 PM
Both, but primary is a shotgun.

Stanze
12-08-2007, 9:28 PM
Handgun for me, because it's easier/faster to grab from the safe already loaded. Bonus points for being able to operate with only one hand (While the other hand is calling 911).

Waingro
12-08-2007, 9:28 PM
The sound of loading a shell into a shotgun is scary enough. And you don't have to worry about a bullet going through 5 walls killing a baby next door. But then again it would have to be a short shotgun. Thats why I have a Glock 19 too.

Bagger
12-08-2007, 9:29 PM
I will just pull out the New Desert Eagle Hand Cannon.

Wyatt
12-08-2007, 9:29 PM
In a defensive situ a shotgun is my #1 choice

ZombieKiller
12-08-2007, 9:32 PM
[QUOTE=SIGfreak;871899]

The difference is important in that apartments and condos are generally smaller and more cramped than houses. Overpenetration also becomes a more important issue, as you are most likely sharing at least one wall with another apartment/condo.

Yep - overpenetration....that was my main concern when I was living in an apartment- and it was harder to move around with a long gun. When I went into a condo it was an unattatched unit (common now)- it was 3 stories high and had tight spiraling stairwells- not fun with a long gun.

So you might want to consider those things......

SIGfreak
12-08-2007, 9:33 PM
For record in choosing a gun strategy, IMO there is no difference between Condo/Apartment - but in case of apartment/condo and townhouses:

- having a shotgun is hard to manuever in house in case of conflict BUT much safer to shot than handgun

- handguns easier to handle in smaller places BUT overpentration may cause damage to a neighbour

SO WHICH ONE IN APARTMENT/CONDO/TOWNHOUSE PROTECTION?

sloguy
12-08-2007, 9:36 PM
i vote #3 the ak pistol. just kidding. kinda.

really depends on many things. backdrop, neighbors, stationary or moving position, ammo choice, and about a million other things.

for me, if i had to move thru the house then id take either, but lean tward pistol for manuverability. if i was stationary in a bedroom( with phone hopefully) id sit behind the bed with the shotgun trained on the door while calling those who are paid to risk their lives. i recomend a good light in either case as you need to id your targets positively.

JHC
12-08-2007, 9:43 PM
In my house a .45 loaded with Cor-bon HPs is the primary since it can be locked in the gunvault thats bolted under my bed, if I didn't have a 3-year old I'd probably rely on a shotgun loaded with buckshot and just keep it on the floor under my bed.

SIGfreak
12-08-2007, 9:46 PM
i vote #3 the ak pistol. just kidding. kinda.

I was going to add AK47 BB gun as 3rd option:D

Knight
12-08-2007, 9:49 PM
For record in choosing a gun strategy, IMO there is no difference between Condo/Apartment

What makes you think he was inferring that there was a difference?

VeryCoolCat
12-08-2007, 9:53 PM
9mm vs 00 Buck 3" Shell (which shoots about 15 pellets that are the size of a 9mm bullet).

I think I'll take the 3" 00 buck.

Knight
12-08-2007, 10:03 PM
9mm vs 00 Buck 3" Shell (which shoots about 15 pellets that are the size of a 9mm bullet).

I think I'll take the 3" 00 buck.

So are all handguns chambered in 9mm nowadays? :rolleyes:

Come on people, arguments only work if both sides have some idea of what they are talking about.

NRAhighpowershooter
12-08-2007, 10:19 PM
shotgun with #4 buck = 27 .25cal pellets....

That is basically all I use

ar15barrels
12-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Shotgun.
More importantly, it needs a light on it so you don't shoot your girlfriend when she's sneaking in wearing nothing but lingere to suprise you. ;)

maxicon
12-08-2007, 10:39 PM
I much prefer a handgun. I don't like a two-handed weapon for checking out noises in the night, and the more limited maneuverability can be a problem in tight spaces.

You do need a light, but I have kids and cats, and I really hate to point a weapon at something to identify it. My ideal is a hand-held tactical light and a handgun with a mounted light, so you can use the hand-held light to scan and ID, and still have a one-handed light on your gun if you need to use your weak hand for something else.

Really, the best bet is to try both yourself. That's how I figured out what's optimal for me and my house - getting up in the night and checking things out with a variety of gear. It only took a few times with the shotgun to decide it wasn't the tool for me. YMMV, as always.

Now, if you're looking at barricading yourself in a room, that's different, but that's not much of an option for me with the kids' rooms spread through the house.

Whatever you choose, remember - practice makes perfect!

CSACANNONEER
12-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Two or three big dogs would be my first option. After that, I need more details before I commit. Of course, a 3" ordinance rifle is a good house gun. If you want to take out a house, that is.

Bizcuits
12-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Xd 9mm, 4inch right next to my bed. I use a handgun, because if they make it into my house, I don't plan to sit in the corner like a woman crying. I plan to clear ever room in my house the way I was trained.

Swinging a shotgun around the corners, leaves room for a 2nd or 3rd intruder to grab from me. My home isn't wide open, it is 2 floors, with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and 3 living rooms. With lots of clutter and places to hide.

I use 9mm, because I have a petite girlfriend who needs to be able to use the weapon when Im not home.

BillCA
12-08-2007, 11:00 PM
I think Zombiekiller would make reference to penetration concerns in high-density housing like apartments, condos, etc.

Best: Shotgun -- with the following caveats
1. You don't leave your room with it to meet intruders
2. Load it with #4 buckshot at a minimum. Birdshot won't do it except at contact distance which is too close!
3. Buckshot will penetrate walls, so don't think they are "safe".

If you need move the kids, elderly or others to the safest room, a handgun might easier to handle. If your intruder plan calls for leaving the safety of your bedroom, a handgun is easier to wield.

Some exceptions - if your place is a 2-story with an upper hallway that is partially exposed to the downstairs (entry, great room, living room, etc) a shotgun may be better to cover a larger area.

The drawbacks to the shotgun are that it is cumbersome around corners and in tight spaces. It's long length gives an intruder something he can grab and add leverate to take it away in CQB. It's advantages are primarly powerful shells and moderate spread of shot. Note that indoors with most shotguns, the shot does not spread very much, so the shotgun isn't a "magic wand". You can miss with a shotgun!

The advantages of a handgun are apparent - one handed operation when you need another hand free, such as carrying a child or helping a sick/disabled person to safety. Their smaller size means it's harder to grab than a shotgun and easier to maneuver in small spaces and around corners. Pistols have more shots than a shotgun. Disadvantages - lower power cartridge (than 12 or 20 gauge), Less likely to stop/deter an aggressive attacker, higher miss probability, harder to shoot well, very likely to penetrate walls & exterior walls posing a hazard to others, empty, hot and sharp pistol brass under bare feet.

Myth: Criminals will flee when they hear you rack the shotgun.
Reply: Don't count on it as multiple intruders may have a plan to deal with shotguns.

Myth: Frangible ammo (Magsafe, Glasers, etc.) are good HD rounds for handguns and dissappate in walls.
Reply: False. Not only do rounds like Glasers penetrate several layers of sheetrock (and keep humming) and they often won't penetrate through heavy clothing like a leather jakct. jacketsddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddddddddddffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss dfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffs ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssddddddddddddddddddddddddssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssdddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssss

ar15barrels
12-08-2007, 11:05 PM
jacketsddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddddddddddffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss dfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffs ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssddddddddddddddddddddddddssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssdddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssss

Is this the digital version of a tourette outbreak?

Beatone
12-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Shotgun for sure. :18:

retired
12-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Shotgun with #4 Buck and keep the pistol in your waistband if possible. If the shotgun gets taken, you have that to fall back on which is better than leaving it by the bed.

Of course, since I sleep with nothing on, I'll have to figure out something about the waistband issue.;)

BB63Squid
12-09-2007, 12:35 AM
I've heard this question asked many a times here and on other boards. More often than not the consensus it a scattergun. Personally for me any firearm discharge in my house is a crap shot as I have two kids, two dogs and a wife. Any of which could be startled and be in the line of fire unexpectedly as they run down the hall towards my bedroom. So for me it will be an edged weapon first as it will force me to positively ID before I engage it. Keeping in mind the adage "never bring a knife to a gunfight" you can guarantee I will have a firearm as backup.

As for the sound of a pump chambering a round, I think the bolt of an AR or the slide of a 1911 chambering a round, even though quite different, in the dead of the night will illicit the same response to any bad guy. Personally, I don't want the intruder to know I am there around the next corner, the element of surprise is what I want on my side.

One other thing to consider is Glazer rounds. This is a good alternative if you don't have an 870 handy imho.

N6ATF
12-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Holy crap! Tourettes on the internets!

Big home-big gun.
Small home-small gun.

It's so cramped in my apartment I couldn't make it around corners without having the muzzle of the shotgun at my feet or under my chin.

Richard
12-09-2007, 12:41 AM
House ?

Apartment?

Condo?

Other people in dwelling?

All depends........

Exactly....if it's only me, give me the shotgun.
When family is present and say a hostage type scenario occurs....the handgun would be the clear choice.

bigthaiboy
12-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Handgun for me, because it's easier/faster to grab from the safe already loaded. Bonus points for being able to operate with only one hand (While the other hand is calling 911).

Or for holding up those loose pajama pants. :p

bigthaiboy
12-09-2007, 12:57 AM
I live in a house, so a shotgun / flashlight combo loaded with 00. If eight shells don't do the job, I would have to make a tactical retreat (Run, Forest! Run!) back to the bedroom, to get my 9mm + 2 mags loaded with HPs.

If that isn't enough, then :

a). I've suddenly found myself in a "Assault on Precinct 13" type scenario, and
b). I'm facing a hefty repair bill for the damage to the house.

sloguy
12-09-2007, 1:17 AM
I use a handgun, because if they make it into my house, I don't plan to sit in the corner like a woman crying. I plan to clear ever room in my house the way I was trained.

a stationary position is safer than moving room to room. do you have a good reason to go out and find the intruder? family to protect, ect?

NSR500
12-09-2007, 1:36 AM
For my CA apartment I like my Shotgun. I donīt need any rounds blowing into the next unit hitting the neighbors kid.

1911su16b870
12-09-2007, 7:37 AM
IMO Handgun is used while you get all your family into the designated safe room. The shotgun is used to protect the family while in the saferoom. I equate handgun with infantry and the shotgun with artillery. :D

andrey320
12-09-2007, 10:50 AM
http://www.theboxotruth.com/
Cool website that showes the penetration of different rounds. I remember seeing buck shot going through like 8 walls!
In my condo, its a 9mm Springfield XD sub compact for downstairs and a shotgun for upstairs.

amd64
12-09-2007, 1:26 PM
Choose both.. and a rifle too. A handgun with a good belt rig is the 24x7 weapon, and a shotty with a good light on it is the primary (with handgun on belt rig 2ndary) if you are allowed some lead-time to get to the shotty. If many zombies are attacking, grab the rifle.

If there are multiple large tough people involved, just having a handgun may not be enough to curtail the situation before damage is done to innocents.

.22guy
12-09-2007, 2:48 PM
Just get a Krinker Plinker.:hide:

chiefcrash
12-09-2007, 6:26 PM
as the old adage goes:

handguns are for fighting your way to your long gun...

i doubt that one single person who's ever been in a gunfight wished they had fewer guns afterwards, so the correct answer to the poll would be "BOTH"

gunslinger387
12-09-2007, 7:02 PM
A shotgun is obviously the more powerful of the two but I prefer a pistol. It is easier to secure (I have two small kids) and allows for a free hand to manipulate doors, use a flashlight, and carry or direct half awake kids.

FatKatMatt
12-09-2007, 8:07 PM
I'd say it depends on which one you're more comfortable with. For me, a shotgun is better because there are a large amount of pellets going at a good velocity towards the target versus one bullet going at a good velocity out of a pistol barrel. Also, long guns are easier to aim and hold steady, for me at least. Again though, it all depends on what you're more comfortable with.

If you live in a cramped environ I'd go with a handgun or a 16" pistol caliber carbine (IIRC Marlin Camp is the only semi that is PRK-legal). You will also have to contend with the issue of over penetration. If you live out in the boonies you could use a rifle, pistol or shotgun because no one lives nearby. If you're in an urban environ than the rifle is thrown out of the equation (unless it's a pistol caliber carbine) because the majority of centerfire rifle cartridges will go very far.

J_Rock
12-09-2007, 8:28 PM
Shotgun you only have that and a pistol. Personally I would use an AR-15 with some 75gr TAP.

"So, it seems that these loads do not "over-penetrate" as much as some have led us to believe.

The 00 Buck penetrated 8 boards, but was stopped by the 9th. Still not as much penetration as the pistol or rifle loads.

The slug penetrated all 12 boards."

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

USN CHIEF
12-09-2007, 8:32 PM
I would choose a claymore at the front door which can be detonated from my nightstand.

J_Rock
12-09-2007, 8:33 PM
I was going to add AK47 BB gun as 3rd option:D

Ok thats just asking to get a lawsuit from one of your neighbors because they have bullets zipping through their house. 7.62x39 is the definition of overpenetration.

12-09-2007, 9:34 PM
I own my house and the 870 is what I use. I still have a pistol close, but for bumps in the night I'm going for the 870 first.

ar15barrels
12-09-2007, 9:56 PM
handguns are for fighting your way to your long gun...

Winner.
Winner.
We have a winner. :)

bohoki
12-09-2007, 10:16 PM
pistol is easier to keep under pillow and take to the toilet

torsf
12-09-2007, 10:51 PM
For my apartment? Handgun, but I would prefer my shotgun.

SIGfreak
12-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Shotgun with #4 Buck and keep the pistol in your waistband if possible. If the shotgun gets taken, you have that to fall back on which is better than leaving it by the bed.

.;)

If shotgun gets taken then you are most probably dead!!! you can't say to the BG:" Time out please I have to get my handgun :TFH:"

maxicon
12-10-2007, 9:52 AM
a stationary position is safer than moving room to room. do you have a good reason to go out and find the intruder? family to protect, ect?

The problem is not knowing what/who is out there. When you get woken up in the middle of the night by a strange noise (maybe the cats knocking something over, maybe not), you can either sit there and wonder or go out and check things out. I'm of the "check things out" camp - the bedrooms are spread through the house, and there are several teens and cats, as well as the occasional 'possum or raccoon through the cat door. If you could know whether an intruder was there or not without leaving your room, it would be different.

I've scanned my house hundreds of times in the dead of night, and never found an intruder yet (except the 'possums and raccoons). In my case, I know the odds are against an intruder being there, but I still have to be prepared for that one-in-10k chance. A handgun and hand-held light give lots more flexibility for me when it comes to opening doors, peeking through curtains, whatever. I found shotguns to be clumsy and more troublesome to maneuver.

Again, you have to practice in your environment. There's no better way to find out what works for a specific set of conditions.

WolfMansDad
12-10-2007, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=SIGfreak;871899]

lol, if you are renting, the big holes the 12 gauge will make will only cause you to lose your security deposit. You can spackle over pistol caliber bulletholes.

It's true. You can.

WolfMansDad
12-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Handgun, because most of the time a bump in the night is just a bump in the night. You can't stick a shotgun in your pocket and say "good evening" to your neighbor.

Handguns are easier to conceal, easier to take with you everywhere you go, and quicker to get on target indoors. As for being underpowered, how many reports have you heard of home intruders who weren't stopped after being shot with a handgun? Plenty get shot but not killed, but that's all right. Stopping them or making them leave is what home defense is all about.

ibanezfoo
12-10-2007, 9:49 PM
Whatever you can handle safely, reliably, accurately, and can spend time training with. I've practiced with shotguns, ARs, and pistols in my house (no live rounds or meat targets, obviously) and I feel most comfortable with a pistol. Another person made the comment about being able to control the weapon with one hand while dialing the cops with the other, bonus points for that.

-Bryan

ibanezfoo
12-10-2007, 9:52 PM
The problem is not knowing what/who is out there. When you get woken up in the middle of the night by a strange noise (maybe the cats knocking something over, maybe not), you can either sit there and wonder or go out and check things out. I'm of the "check things out" camp - the bedrooms are spread through the house, and there are several teens and cats, as well as the occasional 'possum or raccoon through the cat door. If you could know whether an intruder was there or not without leaving your room, it would be different.

I've scanned my house hundreds of times in the dead of night, and never found an intruder yet (except the 'possums and raccoons). In my case, I know the odds are against an intruder being there, but I still have to be prepared for that one-in-10k chance. A handgun and hand-held light give lots more flexibility for me when it comes to opening doors, peeking through curtains, whatever. I found shotguns to be clumsy and more troublesome to maneuver.

Again, you have to practice in your environment. There's no better way to find out what works for a specific set of conditions.

+1 to all of that. :)

-Bryan

psriley
12-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Fire suppression or interior sprinkler system charged with pepper spray, with activator button wired to my sealed and alternately-ventilated bedroom. Once the unsavories are immobilized via hand and feet restraints, it's time to employ the Dewalt angle grinder on its slowest setting with "Flight of the Valkyries" playing in the background.

Later, I hand the unfortunate quivering, babbling, incoherent intruders over to the authorities, who shake my hand and compliment me on my innovative methods. Word gets around through the grapevine that my home is not one to be trifled with.

Or I might just blast 'em with a shotgun.

tombinghamthegreat
12-11-2007, 10:47 AM
This is a hard choice, but the best for me is to use a shotgun(since i cant buy handguns). They tend to be big but it is hard to miss. Handguns are easy to wield, so maybe have both ready just incase. My parents has the handguns loaded for when an intruter breaks in and I have a shotgun. So I guess if something did happen, both handguns and shotguns would be used. In a perfect world, i would have a handgun holstered in my tatical vest and my shotgun ready to go.

N6ATF
12-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Fire suppression or interior sprinkler system charged with pepper spray, with activator button wired to my sealed and alternately-ventilated bedroom. Once the unsavories are immobilized via hand and feet restraints, it's time to employ the Dewalt angle grinder on its slowest setting with "Flight of the Valkyries" playing in the background.

Later, I hand the unfortunate quivering, babbling, incoherent intruders over to the authorities, who shake my hand and compliment me on my innovative methods. Word gets around through the grapevine that my home is not one to be trifled with..

reminiscent of:

get a realistic looking dildo. when he pulls up and gestures, start smacking it against the window at him. if he doesnt leave you alone stick the dildo in a jar of peanut butter( unseen) and throw it in thru his window.

flamaest
02-20-2009, 10:24 PM
I say get a super shorty 12 gauge where it's legal and you have the best of both worlds.

F.

mydogsmonkey
02-20-2009, 10:25 PM
cna't get a handgun yet, under 21, so shotgun

Ernest

Axewound
02-20-2009, 11:11 PM
what no one said bolt action?

ghostwong
02-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Why not a carbine shooting Hornady TAP. If the concern is home invasion and self defense. A rifle is a better choice, It will go through body armor and stop the bad guy.

wash
02-21-2009, 3:40 AM
When I was considering buying a house in East Palo Alto, I planned my primary defense as a 1919A4. Just get some sand bags and a person to feed your belt and you could hold off almost anything.

MILLITIAof1
02-21-2009, 4:05 AM
I will unleash my lady on the intruder! They will just leave after hearing her nag for 10 seconds.

DedEye
02-21-2009, 5:26 PM
Holy necropost batman.

I do like the idea of using a 12 Gauge AOW as a "bathroom gun" though ;).

Bobotheclown
02-21-2009, 6:19 PM
My 18" Mossberg 500 w/trl1 and my Glock 19 w/trl2. I like having lights to see what I'm shooting at...

Jonathan Doe
02-21-2009, 10:03 PM
I live in a bigger house and I think the shotgun is the gun of choice for close combat. I have a tactical Remington 11-87 in my closet ready to go. But I also have at least one handgun ready, primarily a Sig pistol.

fleegman
02-21-2009, 11:07 PM
The BIG question is for home defense, which one is better HANDGUN or SHOTGUN? and Why?

to paraphrase THE GODFATHER.... "Leave the Glock, take the Benelli"

Jonathan Doe
02-22-2009, 8:00 AM
I have seen 00 buck shots penetrate the wall and landed in the next apartment unit. Same thing happened with pistol rounds, too. Over penetration problem? Over penetration is not a problem if you hit the target.

oldschool88
02-22-2009, 9:01 AM
One backed up by the other, always gotta have a backup.

Gem1950
02-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Can you fit a S.G. under your pillow?

Why not both? I vote either or...