PDA

View Full Version : Another STUPID mag question........

dondo
12-08-2007, 5:24 PM
Is it legal to purchase AR 30 rd mag rebuild kits and turn them into 10 round mags? I did search but I am the human equivelant of a head of lettuce. I think if its done the modification has to be permanent or something of this nature. Any help would be...well...helpful. I'd like to see some pmag 10/30. They are tre' sexy.

hoffmang
12-08-2007, 5:34 PM
It is legal but you need to be very careful making sure that the modification that limits the magazine to 10 rounds is both very permanent (reversing it should cause structural damage to the magazine) and will only hold 10 rounds.

-Gene

FEDUPWBS
12-08-2007, 5:38 PM
It is legal but you need to be very careful making sure that the modification that limits the magazine to 10 rounds is both very permanent (reversing it should cause structural damage to the magazine) and will only hold 10 rounds.

-Gene

Its tough to weld aluminum to plastic just buy a 10/20-30 lest you get in trouble.

JHC
12-08-2007, 5:51 PM
Aluminum?

It's easy enough to permanently fix a Pmag to be a 10 rounder, find out where you want your follower to stop it's travel then drill a hole all the way through the mag body and insert a length of CF rod and use epoxy to keep it there. It will look like a regular 30 rounder, be legal, and you'd have to ruin it to turn it back into a 30. You can epoxy the floorplate on for added peace of mind.

FEDUPWBS
12-08-2007, 7:00 PM
bet I can get that epoxy off without ruining the mag. Since "mag rebuild kits" are not much cheaper than commercial 10/20s why bother.

Blue
12-08-2007, 9:12 PM
why does it have to destroy the mag if you un-10/20 it?

JHC
12-08-2007, 9:53 PM
bet I can get that epoxy off without ruining the mag. Since "mag rebuild kits" are not much cheaper than commercial 10/20s why bother.
You might but you'd end up with a big hole in it. I could easily restore the commercial 10/20s available without destroying them as well, the Bushmaster mags take about 20 seconds to undo and the other versions sold by the vendors here can be undone pretty quickly too.

My point is that nothing is truely permanent and someone that is determined will find a way to do what they want (yeah it would be stupid since they could just break the law by assembling a rebuild kit instead).

ar15barrels
12-08-2007, 10:33 PM

Who determines exactly what this "permanent" is?

Most of the 10/20 and 10/30 are easily reversible without destroying the mags.
A common method is to install a pop-rivet to limit follower travel.
Pop-rivets are certainly removable. :rolleyes:

Does a single hole in the magazine body constitute "structural damage"?

dondo
12-09-2007, 7:21 AM
The whole point is to make some 10/30 P Mag magazines. Thats why I am bothering. AND I am a big fan of following the law so I am just asking as to limit my chances of getting it in the rear in a prison shower. Thanks.

SemiAutoSam
12-09-2007, 9:05 AM
SO you dont mind taking it in the rear you just are selectve where and by who ? LOL

The whole point is to make some 10/30 P Mag magazines. Thats why I am bothering. AND I am a big fan of following the law so I am just asking as to limit my chances of getting it in the rear in a prison shower. Thanks.

ar15barrels
12-09-2007, 10:39 AM
SO you dont mind taking it in the rear you just are selectve where and by who ? LOL

Only a lawyer would think that way.
"hmmm, his statement means he's not averse to anal sex.
I guess I can try."

:rofl2:

Blacktail 8541
12-09-2007, 11:01 AM
:rofl2:

dondo
12-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Don't ask, don't tell.

ar15barrels
12-09-2007, 12:31 PM
I am just asking as to limit my chances of getting it in the rear in a prison shower.

SO you dont mind taking it in the rear you just are selectve where and by who ?

Technically, he does not care who, just as long as it's not in a prison shower. ;)

dondo
12-09-2007, 12:56 PM
If Sam takes a shower and wears something silk and polyester, AND as long as its not prison.......anything is possible. After a bottle of Pinot Noir and Sam telling me all about his heroics in 'Nam, my clothes might just melt away. Sam....call me.

Diablo
12-09-2007, 2:30 PM
Well, well, well...true colors are showing for some of you...:rofl2:

hoffmang
12-09-2007, 3:02 PM
Back on topic.

Commercially produced magazines that one buys show a pretty clear intent to import and not manufacture legal small capacity magazines. Manufacturing a non large-capacity magazine at home is a bit more gray and so one should be a bit more careful as your intent is far more up for argument. An 07 FFL or 01 FFL who makes something and sells it is also likely to get a bit more deference.

There is no good definition of permanent, but I think tools and time probably would be a safe way about going about permanent.

-Gene

JagerTroop
12-09-2007, 3:09 PM
Aluminum?

It's easy enough to permanently fix a Pmag to be a 10 rounder, find out where you want your follower to stop it's travel then drill a hole all the way through the mag body and insert a length of CF rod and use epoxy to keep it there. It will look like a regular 30 rounder, be legal, and you'd have to ruin it to turn it back into a 30. You can epoxy the floorplate on for added peace of mind.

If you put a rod through the mag, it would interfere with the spring. You could drill a hole and put in a pop rivet, and then weld it in to make it permanent.

JHC
12-09-2007, 3:59 PM
If you put a rod through the mag, it would interfere with the spring. You could drill a hole and put in a pop rivet, and then weld it in to make it permanent. Pmags are plastic so you won't be welding it. As for the rod going through the spring, they still function fine since you still have plenty of spring above the point where the rod goes through.

ar15barrels
12-09-2007, 5:06 PM
If you put a rod through the mag, it would interfere with the spring.

No so.
The spring sits to the REAR 2/3 of the mag.
There's lots of room in the front of a Pmag or even a USGI mag to put a rod/pin/rivet which would limit capacity.

I have cut-down a Pmag to minimum length and it holds about 12 rounds.
A spacer was then epoxied into the follower to limit capacity to 10 rounds.

ar15barrels
12-09-2007, 5:10 PM
Pmags are plastic so you won't be welding it.

There are such things as plastic rivets and plastic welding too... ;)

If you have a Weller Pyro Pen, they offer a hot air attachment that's sorta like a torch, but not with a flame.
Any good welder could figure out how to weld plastic pretty easily with one of those.

JagerTroop
12-09-2007, 8:03 PM
I stand corrected

SemiAutoSam
12-09-2007, 9:18 PM
I have a feeling your not as female as your avatar so I would have to say not on your life.

Plus I don't wear silk or polyester (plastic).

And damn you SOB you aged me I'm nowhere near Vietnam aged.

:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

If Sam takes a shower and wears something silk and polyester, AND as long as its not prison.......anything is possible. After a bottle of Pinot Noir and Sam telling me all about his heroics in 'Nam, my clothes might just melt away. Sam....call me.

12-09-2007, 9:28 PM
Who determines exactly what this "permanent" is?

Most of the 10/20 and 10/30 are easily reversible without destroying the mags.
A common method is to install a pop-rivet to limit follower travel.
Pop-rivets are certainly removable. :rolleyes:

Does a single hole in the magazine body constitute "structural damage"?

The DOJ answer: It is up to the 58 DAs!!! LOL