PDA

View Full Version : Romy Barrel Pin

NRAhighpowershooter
12-08-2007, 4:49 PM
Ok.. I can demil my kit myself and have a decent amount of tools on hand (use to build race engines) but I don't have a press and don't have the room for one. The reason I'm saying this is because on several AK build sites they say to chuck up the front trunion in a vise and use a drift punch to wack away at the barrel pin..... well...... 3/4hr later that #%^&*$^#$$ pin still hasn't moved (yes, I'm going at the pin from the left side as suggested by the build sites).... am I to believe that using a press will make it easier to break free the pin? I have access to a press but I will have to wait a few days to use it..... suggestions???

FEDUPWBS
12-08-2007, 5:36 PM
gunthings has the pin buster for $30 GET IT. Then sell for $25 SHIPPED WHEN YOUR DONE

tlillard23
12-08-2007, 5:49 PM
Bigger hammer, you're not gonna hurt it. This ain't no race engine....;)

JHC
12-08-2007, 6:05 PM
Try punching it the other way, it might already be mushroomed from you banging on it at this point. I prefer to get the pin started using my vise to push my home-made pinbuster (socket-screwdriver cutoff) against the pin, then whack it out with a punch and hammer.

tlillard23
12-08-2007, 6:07 PM
I prefer to get the pin started using my vise to push my home-made pinbuster (socket-screwdriver cutoff) against the pin

Pic please?

JHC
12-08-2007, 7:08 PM
Pic please?

Here's a demonstration pic of how its used, just oil the pin, tighten real good in vice, give the vice jaw a good whack with a BFH and the pin will pop. Then you can punch it out the rest of the way easily or use a short length of shaft to finish pushing it out.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/crash76/DSC08620.jpg

The tool is just a socket with a cutoff piece of an old screwdriver pounded in and the end beveled.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/crash76/DSC08622.jpg

thedrickel
12-08-2007, 7:23 PM
Here's a demonstration pic of how its used, just oil the pin, tighten real good in vice, give the vice jaw a good whack with a BFH and the pin will pop. Then you can punch it out the rest of the way easily or use a short length of shaft to finish pushing it out.

The tool is just a socket with a cutoff piece of an old screwdriver pounded in and the end beveled.

The ram-in-a-vise method has never failed me, but it will damage the threads on your vise. I would only recommend it with a cheap vise. Nothing US made.

Once you budge it with the ram, it will come out with a BFH and punch fairly easily.

sloguy
12-08-2007, 7:26 PM
be careful, you can damage the vice if you whack it too hard. bend the threaded shaft and the vice jaws will have a "chewing " motion to the jaws.

JHC
12-08-2007, 7:37 PM
be careful, you can damage the vice if you whack it too hard. bend the threaded shaft and the vice jaws will have a "chewing " motion to the jaws.

Harborfreight vice, it loves abuse and has been getting plenty for the last 10 years.:D

tujungatoes
12-08-2007, 8:58 PM
This guy uses a power hammer. sounds like a good idea, and a lot smaller that a press.
http://surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=25304
http://upload6.postimage.org/294751/DSC02502.jpg (http://upload6.postimage.org/294751/photo_hosting.html)

wayoutwest
12-08-2007, 10:23 PM
If you are ever in my area I will let you use my 12 ton press, if you give my Garand a good once over and measure the TE and MW

NRAhighpowershooter
12-08-2007, 10:30 PM
If you are ever in my area I will let you use my 12 ton press, if you give my Garand a good once over and measure the TE and MW

If I can;t get to use my biddys machine shop Monday I'll make arrangements :)

crzpete
12-11-2007, 12:15 AM
I have done 3 Romy “G” pin removal with just the basic tools and with no press.

First I let the trunnion soak in penetrating lube or diesel fuel for a good day or two. I then clamp the front trunnion on the vise and apply heat to the pin and the pin tunnel for about 15 to 20 min. with the torch. You need to have and exact diameter or a tad smaller punch or you will mushroom the pin and will become a rivet. If you still have problems removing the pin you can use a small amount of heat and penetrating lube while tapping softly (then re-apply heat constantly for 15-20 min). This method had worked for me on all 3 of my past builds. Ones the pin is out just use the steering wheel or pulley puller from autozone.

To installing the barrel, I like to use 2 small pieces of 2x4 and a rubber mallet. One of the 2x4 is to protect the trunnion from getting damaged. Use the mallet to tap the barrel with the 2x4 and the barrel will slowly work itself in the trunnion, don’t forget to use moly or a good quality bearing grease. If you hammer the barrel too far in the trunnion, just use the steering wheel puller and work yourself very slowly to align the barrel hole. Freeze the barrel pin over night, apply some heat to the trunnion and tap the pin in. hope this help.

I like the socket with a cutoff piece of an old screwdriver pounded in and the end beveled, this I will try on my next build.:D

NRAhighpowershooter
12-11-2007, 2:17 PM
UPdate: I went to my buddy's shop and used his press.. a real nice unit with a dial gauge to see how much pressure is being exerted.. we FINALLY got the pin to break free at 9 1/2 TONS!!!!!!!!!!!! then tried the 6lb hammer route to get the pin the rest of the way out.. no go.. still hade to use the press to get the pin the rest of the way out.. averaged 2 tons up to half way... a lot lower (too low for the gauge) afterwards....