PDA

View Full Version : Buying from online auction sites like Gunbroker?

tamaneko
12-08-2007, 1:46 AM
Not quite sure if this belongs here, but it is gun-related, so anyway... :D

Often there's a lot of seemingly good deals from sellers who are new to Gunbroker and have no feedback. There's one in particular that only accept checks as a payment method. Is it too risky to purchase from this new seller, and what can I do if the seller just cashes my check and never sends the item I purchased?

thefifthspeed
12-08-2007, 3:16 AM
I've been burned with online auctions and online stores and I learned that cash/money orders/checks have no protection once they are cashed. If you wish to deal with people that have no feedback and only accept these payment types you need to deal with them in person. If you want to gamble and hope it is some old guy who is new to gunbroker and can only accept simple forms of payment then gamble away. Also trying to persue fraud over state lines is very difficult and getting your money back is even worse.

jester
12-08-2007, 7:43 AM
+1 above....
got burned a couple times, once on e-gay and once on arfcom.
USPS money orders both, both cashed and items not received.
Pay USPS another $5- to do trace, go through the process, and still haven't got my money back, and supposedly, they guarentee per US Gov. regs. that you will....
The guy on ARFCOM was a proven scammer though, like 3 others got the business at the same time as me..

mur
12-08-2007, 8:02 AM
Like they say, If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Don't let a good deal hinder your Judgment

Try to get as much information from the seller as possible.
If it still feels bad, pass on it
I'd rather spend a few extra dollars knowing that I will get it

uzigalil
12-08-2007, 8:08 AM
I have had good a few good deals and Im in the niddle of one right now.

4 Brigada
12-08-2007, 8:20 AM
Try to get as much information from the seller as possible.

Its part of the game, I have got burned with lesser quality products, wood cracked, missing parts and ripped off directly. It happens there are by far more honest people , dealer merchants and private sellers. But there are those that you run into that are there to rip you off. Been lucky so far in this forum thats has never happend. GB and others always CAVEAT EMPTOR

Stormfeather
12-08-2007, 8:40 AM
Its part of the game, I have got burned with lesser quality products, wood cracked, missing parts and ripped off directly. It happens there are by far more honest people , dealer merchants and private sellers. But there are those that you run into that are there to rip you off. Been lucky so far in this forum thats has never happend. GB and others always CAVEAT EMPTOR

Wish I could say that. recently had a issue with a new member here in regards to a sale. . . .

The SoCal Gunner
12-08-2007, 9:36 AM
There was a guy from Garden Grove in CA who listed items for sale on various forums. He posted CR123a battery deals on Sigforum and scammed a lot of people. The members on the forum all contacted the PD in Garden Grove and the guy got arrested.

aplinker
12-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Gunbroker has a fraud policy, you can look it up on their website.

I had a good experience with a new user there.

Be aware of the risks. I bought something I couldn't find anywhere else in existence. I was willing to take the risk. If you're just looking to save a few dollars it's probably not worth the potential loss.

anothergunnut
12-08-2007, 12:45 PM
I've bought and sold a number of guns on gunbroker. I have also sold some guns on surplusrifleforum. I have a C&R so buying/selling is not that unusual. My experience has been okay. I have never been burned by sellers but have been a bit disappointed with buyers expectations. I have also been disappointed with online retailers that other people have raved about. AIM surplus has sent me some real crap and Classicarms sold me a counterfeit Enfield. Fortunately, the amount of money at risk is not something I can't afford to lose. If it is too much to lose, go face to face.

retired
12-08-2007, 11:48 PM
I don't believe I have mentioned this place before, so here goes. This is for members in S. Ca. There is a gun store in Glendora called GunSlingers. He holds an auction every so often at the American Legion Hall on Azusa in West Covina. It is just north of the 10fwy.

He has lots of guns; both long guns and hand guns. Some are old ones, some are NIB. Also reloading equip, holsters, manuels, etc. I bought my Marlin 30-30 AS (precursor to the 336c I believe) for $200 out the door. It is a great rifle and shoots great. Some sell for thousands due to their quality and some for hundreds affording everyone a chance. Scopes also (he had Leupolds last time).

His site is gunslingersauction.com

Next one is on March 15 and he posts a list of all items being auctioned.

M. D. Van Norman
12-09-2007, 8:07 AM
I bought a C&R .22-LR rifle from a would-be scammer on GunBroker. Until then, he had hundreds of positive feedbacks, so I donít know what went wrong with the guy. I gave him plenty of time but eventually filed a complaint with his stateís attorney general, and that finally got him to cough up my rifle.

Lon Moer
12-09-2007, 5:46 PM
I've bought 5~6 guns off of GunBroker and hundreds of other transactions at both GunBroker and Auction Arms. :)

Sampachi
12-09-2007, 10:11 PM
I've bought and sold on Gunbroker and others without too much trouble. Maybe I'm lucky?