PDA

View Full Version : Out of state to CA private transfers

dexter9659
12-08-2007, 1:14 AM
I am thinking about purchasing a pistol or two (G20c and a Mateba) from my friend in Reno. I checked the CA DOJ site and cannot find anything specifically mentioning out of state to CA private party sale transfers, which I am not in the least bit surprised. I am sure the Mateba is not on the CA approved list, though since it is a private party sale, I am suspect it is exempt. Can anyone tell me what hoops one must jump through to make the transfers legal?

bwiese
12-08-2007, 3:20 AM
When crossing state lines/not between CA residents, it's not a "PPT" and is just a regular FFL transfer.

As such, handguns need to be on the Roster of Handguns Approved for Sale (unless guns are exempt single actions/single shots, or the transfer is due to inheritance or between specific family members - grandparent/ parent /child/ grandhchild)

The Glock G20C (compensated) is indeed Rostered and listing fees have been paid up to 2009. Your Reno friend can sell it to you here in CA - of course, using the services of a CA FFL.

However, the Mateba auto-revolvers are not Rostered. He can't send it to your FFL like the Glock, as the FFL can't transfer it to you.

The only way you could acquire one is if someone moved into CA with one, became a resident and then PPT'd it to you, or if you had a parent/ grandparent /child /grandchild who could legally buy one out of state and then transfer it to you. (A CA LEO could in theory also acquire an off-Roster gun and then transfer it to you afterward but that's unusual.)

crunchy2k
12-08-2007, 3:47 AM
No matter what is said here...a small firearm not under the awd law is legal to own. Only the ffl01 is illegal...so it goes...private parties are inside the law. Just don't try to think binging 50 weapons in is legall....anyone would think u smuggling.
Rhichmon police are still blaming guns after the atf caught the perp./ He sold a lot on the streets.

dustoff31
12-08-2007, 9:40 AM
I believe I would follow the advice offered by bweise.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-08-2007, 10:09 AM
No matter what is said here...a small firearm not under the awd law is legal to own. Only the ffl01 is illegal...so it goes...private parties are inside the law. Just don't try to think binging 50 weapons in is legall....anyone would think u smuggling.
Rhichmon police are still blaming guns after the atf caught the perp./ He sold a lot on the streets.

Last edited by crunchy2k : 12-08-2007 at 03:55 AM

And that's what crunchy says after editing his own post! One can only wonder what wisdom he edited out.