PDA

View Full Version : How many project guns do you have?

tankerman
12-07-2007, 9:38 PM
Like it says how many project guns do you have in various states of completion?

Myself, about a dozen. Some need stocks others barrels, receivers, refinish, misc small parts. They will all be completed, eventually.

Seems to be cyclical, the projects start piling up. Eventually I get to the point where I can't justify buying anymore stuff until I finish some of the projects. Then it starts all over again.

The problem is, even after a gun project is complete you still end up with extra stuff that never seems to go away. I'm talking about replacement parts, screws, grips, sights, cases, job specific tools, springs, mounts, etc... more and more.........Milk crates full of stuff, parts cabinets, plastic containers, ziplocks.

It is a disease.

wilit
12-07-2007, 9:58 PM
I've got more projects than I have $$$ to finish them. :(

CSACANNONEER
12-07-2007, 9:59 PM
Not counting parts kits and partial receivers, probably about the same. I should be getting a few parts to rebuild a NAA revolver early next week.

ar15barrels
12-07-2007, 11:24 PM
I probably have about half a dozen in various states of completion.

'96 sweede becoming cock-on-open
1909 argentine getting re-built into a heavy bench gun (stopped due to later 700 purchase)
Calguns lower #65 needing to be built up as my 6.5 Grendel
Calguns lower #68 needing to be built up as my 6.8 SPC
POF 308 build is missing a handguard system, lower parts kit and a PRS
Romy G kit is all demilled and waiting for the build party

Q
12-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Things I got in mind. :D
c8a1 sas
m4 socom
bulgarian 104 16in barrel
east german akm
russian 101 clone

DRM6000
12-07-2007, 11:57 PM
not many:

serbu bfg50
ferret50
another .50 bmg upper
(thanks arnie :))

a couple of ar lowers

grammaton76
12-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Something like 8 AR lowers, something like 18 AK receivers.

Two MGI and two Cobb lowers.

An MGI QCB upper that I need to get around to populating with a bolt carrier, bolt, barrel, etc.

A VZ-52 that I want to get around to making some non-corrosive ammo to shoot through some day.

A Romanian M44 rifle I need to swap a decent barrel onto.

A Vietnam M-16 kit still waiting on the right gas blocks, and on me getting around to getting the correct NDS retro receiver.

ivanimal
12-08-2007, 12:40 AM
You had to ask:mad: I have 6 that are kits and a dozen that are nor ready to be called complete. Then there is about 6 that need love.

12-08-2007, 12:52 AM
Zero... I usaully don't purchase anything unless I have the money to get all parts needed. Then when I get them my OCD kicks in and I have to finish them before I can eat or sleep.... I want to build an AK but I don't think I have all the tools needed. Maybe I'll get a Saiga and convert it later.

tankerman
12-08-2007, 4:42 AM
I probably have about half a dozen in various states of completion.

'96 sweede becoming cock-on-open
1909 argentine getting re-built into a heavy bench gun (stopped due to later 700 purchase)
Calguns lower #65 needing to be built up as my 6.5 Grendel
Calguns lower #68 needing to be built up as my 6.8 SPC
POF 308 build is missing a handguard system, lower parts kit and a PRS
Romy G kit is all demilled and waiting for the build party
Where did you get the 1909 action?

The reason I'm asking is that I sold a beautiful all matching 1909 action at the Costa Mesa Gun Show several months ago. The buyer was a guy that had a table at the show and had a gunsmith with him.

Boy am I sorry I sold that action. I had it for several years and had plans to build a 358 Norma mag. I shoot lefty and ran across a left hand Sako 691 action so I decided to sell the 1909. Now I wish I kept it for a build for my son. Oh well, still have a nice Czech action I can use, just not quite as good or nice as the 1909.

4 Brigada
12-08-2007, 8:21 AM
Retro USAF M16 (awaiting lower, maybe new handguards)
GAU 5 awaiting (lower and barrel)
FAL:
Belgian M1/T48 (awaiting barrel work and upper + T48 wood handguards)
Izzy HB awaiting (Awaiting barrel and upper)
Izzy standard (awaiting barrel work and upper)
BSG type A (awaiting barrel work and upper)
SA para (barrel work, machine work and upper)
SA (M2 type) (awaiting upper)

2 other Imbel kits, R&D at this stage
AK in a flat no kit (got shafted on a AMD kit)

Added later
Forgot these
M1 garand (assembly)
M1A (assembly)

s281c
12-08-2007, 8:34 AM
around 30

at least a dozen 1911's in various states of mod/completion
a bunch of AR15 and Ar-10 style builds that I haven't got around to
the rest are assorted other "projects" bought from "home butchers"......

ar15barrels
12-08-2007, 9:40 AM
Where did you get the 1909 action?

I got it as a complete rifle 3-4 years ago.
It's all stripped down now.
I have a Fajen varminter stock and a douglas blank waiting to go together.
Also have a bold trigger, brownells bolt knob, farrel picatinny rail, brownells bolt shroud to eliminate the safety and other go-fast goodies for it.

Just need to finish it out to sell if off...

WolfMansDad
12-08-2007, 9:43 AM
I bought several stripped lowers early in the OLL movement, back when the party line was "list in 2 weeks." I really did (and still do) intend to build them up, but with each passing month I find I have less free time, not more.

I only go to the range every three or four months any more, and I still haven't set up my .45 Colt reloading dies. I don't see how I'm going to find the time to do any building.

thedrickel
12-08-2007, 9:48 AM
Uhhh, boatloads. From kits that need to be put together, bolt actions with headspace issues, stuff that needs welding, shortening, lengthening, and god knows what, easily a dozen. Closer to twenty counting all of my romy kits.

ar15barrels
12-08-2007, 9:59 AM
I only go to the range every three or four months any more, and I still haven't set up my .45 Colt reloading dies.
I don't see how I'm going to find the time to do any building.

You need to re-prioritize your time.
3-4 months between range trips is appalling.
If I don't go at least once every two weeks, something's wrong.

mike100
12-08-2007, 10:12 AM
About 3 or 4..only 2 of them are slated for major smithing..that just requires $ as I'm not going to lay a hand on them.

The others are just little things I want to improve when I have time to order the tools to do it.

Lon Moer
12-08-2007, 11:40 AM
I have far, FAR, more bare receivers and kits than I do completed projects.
I actually need another safe before I can get into completing any more projects. :o

GSequoia
12-08-2007, 11:47 AM
One 91/30 barreled receiver that I'm still figuring out what to do with..

Most of a Colt 1903, just need a frame and ejector.

Thinking of pickup up a Romy G parts kit.

jumbopanda
12-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Well I do have the following AK parts kits:

5 Romy G
2 AMD-65
2 Romy RPK
2 Yugo fixed stock
1 Yugo underfolder
1 Polish Tantal

:D

Probably not gonna build all of them though; I may end up selling a few.

CA357
12-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Two, both are rifles.

FEDUPWBS
12-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Well I do have the following AK parts kits:

5 Romy G
2 AMD-65
2 Romy RPK
2 Yugo fixed stock
1 Yugo underfolder
1 Polish Tantal

:D

Probably not gonna build all of them though; I may end up selling a few.

Jumbo, thats a pretty good start;) on th ak collection. Dont make em all n2 pistols. Oh yea I have a few projects in the works now too.

Pulsar
12-08-2007, 3:12 PM
If you count customer guns, it's endless.

My own personal guns

I've gotta finish modifying the bolt on my Rem 700 to accept .338 lapua, just haven't gotten around to it.

Been thinking about building a match grade set up for my FAL, just as a proof of concept type thing. Been meaning to get around to tearing it apart to figure out exactly how much work is involved.

I've got a couple guns with broken stocks I've been meaning to repair just so I can sell the dang things.

Oh and I need to accurize my 1911, damn thing shoots about a 2ft pattern at 25yds.

FEDUPWBS
12-08-2007, 4:20 PM
Did someone say match FAL http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/fedupwbs/fals001.jpg
(shown in mockup status)

tankerman
12-08-2007, 7:09 PM
Stock work. You do stock work?

Were are you located? Maybe you can help me get one of these gun projects finished.

If you count customer guns, it's endless.

My own personal guns

I've gotta finish modifying the bolt on my Rem 700 to accept .338 lapua, just haven't gotten around to it.

Been thinking about building a match grade set up for my FAL, just as a proof of concept type thing. Been meaning to get around to tearing it apart to figure out exactly how much work is involved.

I've got a couple guns with broken stocks I've been meaning to repair just so I can sell the dang things.

Oh and I need to accurize my 1911, damn thing shoots about a 2ft pattern at 25yds.

Pulsar
12-08-2007, 9:30 PM
Sacramento area, though I don't do much refinishing work, don't have the time.

NRAhighpowershooter
12-08-2007, 10:36 PM
6 projects

1. yet another Garand build (have parts laid out just waiting on CMP receiver delivery)
2. Romy kit (got it 75% demilled, ordering receiver Monday)
3. AR Varmit build (barrel and to be delivered Wednesday. scope to be ordered Thursday)
4. yet another HP service rifle build(spare upper sitting here)
5. 2 bare OLL's deciding on what to build them (refer to #4)
6. Thinking about tearing down one of my Garands and going all out on a JCG legal build (Kreiger barrel, Wenig stock set, all NOS parts :) )

ZombieKiller
12-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Aren't they all project guns??

NSR500
12-09-2007, 12:07 AM
I swear that owning guns is almost as bad as owning a boat, sometimes it feels like a money pit. But to the subject at hand:

2xPTRs (Need cocking tubes and trunions)
2xFALs (Need Gas Blocks, Lowers, and Para Recoil Systems)
1xAR22 (Need Upper)

DedEye
12-09-2007, 12:13 AM
Roughly three if you count the varying parts I have and the guns they'll eventually build (all AR OLLs). I need some AKs - but Garands and M1 Carbines first.

SFFRONTMAN
12-09-2007, 12:29 AM
2 projects,
Completing my first completely built upper (from a stripped reciever)

Building a glock 22 and 24L to start ipsc.

bigthaiboy
12-09-2007, 12:40 AM
4 Romie G parts kits w/ 1 NDS-3
1 AMD-65 kit w/ 1 NDS-65
2 VZ-58 kits
1 Imbel FAL kit
1 AR OLL for a 24" varmint build

I'm thinking about buying a Bren Mk.II parts kit for a longer term project.

I have a couple of builds ready to start. I have a small collection of BBs, MMGs, 922(r) parts and new stocks for all kits, just need to pick up some more receivers. Ultimately, it's about time and money.

P.S. Did I ever mention I hate de-milling AK kits?

Pulsar
12-09-2007, 11:52 AM
I completely forgot my OLL, it's been sitting in the closet for a little over a year now, just a pathetic looking stripped lower. I still haven't decided what I'm gonna do with the thing. I know I'm going gripless, and that's about all I know.

moulton
12-09-2007, 12:43 PM
-870 12 guage home defence, already installed 18 inch mossberg barrel, Knoxx recoil reducing stock, remington synthetic fore-end, scattergun technologies 2 round extecntion, streamlight flashlight mount w/ surefire g2 mounted. I still need to install some ghostring sights or possibly a bushnell holosight xlp.

-savage 111in .270. replaced w/ duramaxx blind mag stock, bought a blind mag that didnt fit my gun so I ground it down to fit, then I used Bondo to fill in mag area with the magazine and folower in the stock, I camoed the stock with krlyon fusion and still need to fix some feeding issues. It also has a bushnell elite 4200 4-16x40mm scope with a harris 9-13 inch bipod.

Retro-ar-15a1, have a colt a1 upper rebarreled by FN. bushmaster bolt, model 1 charging handle, dpms LPK, DPMS buffer/buffer assembly, original a1 stock and handguards refinished and repaired the teeth by me. DPMS pistol grip modified by adding plywood epoxy, bondo and plasti-dip to make it into a "shark fin". I also have a plexi glass "sharkfin" and a factory second MMG.

can you tell I like bondo? :)

Spiggy
12-09-2007, 3:07 PM
oooh, this is definitely a sal question!

1911 parts kit

M1 carbine action & BBL

one 91/30

I have an AK parts kit, but I'm ignoring it right now