PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar Gun Show this weekend

joe4702
12-07-2007, 7:50 PM
9-5 Sat, 9-4 Sun.

$1 off coupon:
http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/guncoupn.htm

Stop by the NRA booth and say hi.

We're trying to sign up as many members as possible as we head into 2008.
Current members can also renew/extend their membership.

Last show we were doing $25 (regularly $35) for a new or renewal 1 year membership.
You can also do 3, 5 or life membership, but there wasn't a discount IIRC.
All of these include a free ticket to the show, choice of magazine, etc.
Pretty sure it'll be the same deal again.

Joe

thefifthspeed
12-07-2007, 7:55 PM
Is it worth going to? I've heard from many people that these shows tend to peddle junk and they don't sell many gun. If anyone has any input let me know if these are worth going to. BTW i'm interested in C&R rifle/pistols if anyone knows if you can find them at these places?

joe4702
12-07-2007, 8:08 PM
I quit going for a number of years and just recently started going again. It seems to me there are a bit more gun and gun accessory sellers than I recall from past years and a bit less "junk". I picked up 5K primers from Miwall at a very good price, 2 CMMG OLLs from CWS, some mags, a couple nice rifle cases, etc. I mean it doesn't compare to a big AZ or TX show, but all-in-all not bad. Hopefully this one will be similar to the last, but sometimes the vendor list varies a bit from show to show.

grammaton76
12-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Pistols... not much. C&R's... well, you do get to see the "genuine Vietnamese sniper SKS" with the dust cover mount that the one guy keeps trying to peddle.

On the other hand, CWS's pretty much brought EBR's back to Del Mar. J+J is supposed to be there as well, and I believe they carry EBR's as well. So, it's worth going to for that at least.

mike100
12-08-2007, 9:16 AM
I've been able to find enough there to make it worth my morning to check it out. I also park off site to save my wallet the financial atrocity the ace parking people are inflicting on the masses.

Moonclip
12-09-2007, 7:41 PM
I heard from someone who went there was not a single ppt transfer dealer! Seems as bad as Costa Mesa show where the PPT dealers seem to be limited to Azusa and Riverside, no OC locations, and the Riverside dealer wants to charge an illegal amount for the PPT.

Crazed_SS
12-09-2007, 9:15 PM
Is it worth going to? I've heard from many people that these shows tend to peddle junk and they don't sell many gun. If anyone has any input let me know if these are worth going to. BTW i'm interested in C&R rifle/pistols if anyone knows if you can find them at these places?

You can get repro nazi flags!

There's some decent deals on ammo there. There's a lot of accessories there too. It's nice to be able to buy targets, ammo, scopes, mags, etc all at once and in one place.

BONECUTTER
12-10-2007, 9:01 AM
I heard from someone who went there was not a single ppt transfer dealer! Seems as bad as Costa Mesa show where the PPT dealers seem to be limited to Azusa and Riverside, no OC locations, and the Riverside dealer wants to charge an illegal amount for the PPT.

I work for J&J and was there and we did do PPT's. We also work the Costa Mesa show and our shop is in the OC (Santa Ana). Last Costa Mesa show we had a line of transfers going the whole weekend.

Sorry you were mis-informed.

Del Mar is pretty quiet but it helps us spread the Black Rifle sickness. :)

USN CHIEF
12-10-2007, 9:58 AM
It was a waste of gas and time for me. I honestly do not recommend it. 50% of the stuff that you see there is not firearms related. 10% is airsoft gun stuff. Very dissapointed. $9 dollars to park! It needs improvement.

Casual_Shooter
12-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Being quite the gun novice, I didn't know what to expect. I was at a show a LONG time ago and bought a brick of 9mm ammo (still have some left IIRC).

I was surprised by the number of airsoft and toy displays. It seemed like there was a couple of good displays- custom stocks, etc- and the rest was junk, or garage sale stuff.

My friend bought a range bag and the guy was willing to deal on $$, but I don't know how the price compared to standard prices.

If you go in knowing what you want, that's best, but you may be disappointed. That same friend was looking for some fairly common (according to him) gun parts for a .357 and a .22 and could not find anything.

The hot dogs weren't bad... ;)

viras
12-10-2007, 12:10 PM
For me, the Del Mar (crossroads) gun show sucked. All the CalGuns vendors are the only reason worth going, but you may as well order from them online, as the $9 entrance fee and the $9 parking rate pretty much equal the cost of shipping. The ammo "sales" aren't all that great either - you may as well order your ammo from www.the-armory.com, where the prices are lower than at the gun show - with shipping, it pretty much equals out with the Gun Show prices for ammo. Plus, at the gun show, the ammo people (the big ammo booth) tried to charge me $5.00 fee for using a credit card/debit card, which was absurd.

The only reason I'd ever go again is if I were to want to do a bulk buy, such as 1000 rounds of .223, 1000 rounds of .308, a couple of OLLS, some targets, some accessories, etc. Unless you plan to buy a ton of firearm related stuff, the Del Mar gunshow isn't worth more than Calgun's (Banner) Vendor ad's up top.

Now, if you're the type that likes to window shop, the Gun Show is great. But if you're going with the idea that you're gonna save money shopping at a gun show, you're in for a nasty surprise. The prices are all the same as online, you just get the benefit of seeing the product in person.

Oh, the Beef Jerkey is also very good.

bigthaiboy
12-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I usually wait for the Costa Mesa show: free parking, $11 entrance with coupon, and more tables than I can properly visit in one day.

May consider going back to Del Mar if they dropped the parking charges. On top of the gas used on the long drive, it's not worth it.

Moonclip
12-10-2007, 9:41 PM
I usually wait for the Costa Mesa show: free parking, $11 entrance with coupon, and more tables than I can properly visit in one day.

May consider going back to Del Mar if they dropped the parking charges. On top of the gas used on the long drive, it's not worth it.

I'm almost in total agreement with you. good summary.

Moonclip
12-10-2007, 9:43 PM
I work for J&J and was there and we did do PPT's. We also work the Costa Mesa show and our shop is in the OC (Santa Ana). Last Costa Mesa show we had a line of transfers going the whole weekend.

Sorry you were mis-informed.

Del Mar is pretty quiet but it helps us spread the Black Rifle sickness. :)

Please tell us more, where are you located in Santa Ana? Website? Where do you set up at Costa Mesa? What do you charge for a PPT? TIA.

BONECUTTER
12-11-2007, 8:14 AM
Please tell us more, where are you located in Santa Ana? Website? Where do you set up at Costa Mesa? What do you charge for a PPT? TIA.

J and J Armory
1420 E. Edinger Ave #118
Santa Ana, Ca 92705
866-9-ARMORY
(Corner of Edinger and Grand)

http://www.jandjarmory.com

The Costa Mesa show we are in the first building on the left when you enter.

PPT's are $35.00

Feel free to PM my boss who posts on here. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=12887

I work two jobs so my responses might be a bit slow.

Thanks

tom_92673
12-11-2007, 8:07 PM
I got there at 3 on Saturday, and they weren't charging for parking any more. I also used the coupon to get in, so it was just $8 plus gas. I go to pick up ammo from miwall and to talk to fellow Calgunners and see what cool new toys CWS brings around. I definitely only go when I need ammo though as it's a bit of a haul. Now the OC gun show is probably the best around right now. You can pay to park right up front, but it's not worth it unless you have an issue walking an extra 300 yards. If I were in a hurry or had a disability, or I was planning on buying a ton of ammo, I might consider it. There are 4 halls there filled with vendors, usually about 4 times the size of Del Mar and 2-3x the Ontario show. I see a lot more handguns at the OC show as well, so I get to oogle the Kimbers when I'm there. If you need mags or accessories or want to look at AK accessories, the show is also worthwhile. I saw a lot of stuff there that I didn't know about and it's basically a good place to see things that you may want for the future. That's what most industry trade shows are for in other industries. There does seem to be a lot of trinket sales at the Del Mar show. A lot of knick Knacks and what not.

gunslinger387
12-11-2007, 8:21 PM
I haven't been in probably three years or so for all of the above stated reasons. I'll probably go to one within the next year or so to see if its changed much and to pick up some accesories.

mike100
12-11-2007, 8:50 PM
I picked up powder and primers...parked off site so no $9 parking. I also found a bullet mould that i wanted and went ahead and bought some dillon stuff from the one guy there since I was going to mail order the same stuff anyhow. I might have saved $20, but then gas was probably $8...

anyhow, got to see the graffunder safes and some other stuff.

since it had been raining and the ticket taker moved inside and I could have walked up to the outside powder vendor for free and then left-oh well.

retired
12-12-2007, 6:46 PM
Plus, at the gun show, the ammo people (the big ammo booth) tried to charge me $5.00 fee for using a credit card/debit card, which was absurd.

Viras, I don't know if this is the same one who is at the Costa Mesa and Ontario show, but if it is, it is one of the reasons I've never bought ammo from him. He also charges tax on top of the price of the ammo.

When I've gone to both of the locs I mentioned, I buy from the other large ammo dealer, which is "Ammo Bros." They don't charge for the credit card and they don't charge tax.

His store is located in Cerritos and he even goes to the out of state gun shows; at least one in Az.