PDA

View Full Version : Lake Isabella/Kern River

SNEAKS
12-06-2007, 6:58 PM
I rented a cabin at Lake Isabella for Christmas and was interested in taking my brother and dad out to shoot some pistols and one of my OLLs. Where are there some good spots? Thanks Sneaks

5150-417
12-06-2007, 7:08 PM
off topic but how much does it cost to rent a cabin for a weeken and how close are you to the river?

ar15robert
12-06-2007, 7:42 PM
I usually go towards johnsondale then take a right at the fork in the road and drive a few miles.I havent shot there in a few years but the local sheriff told me it was fine to shoot as long as it was on the left side of the road while driving from johnsondale.

might want to check with local authorities on a shooting area.I have neevr had any problems up there and it is a great area.But for long range shooting it aint all that great IMO but for plinking fun its good.

bigpig
12-06-2007, 9:31 PM
There is an outdoor range near Kernville. Go into one of the bait shops and ask one of the locals. I believe it's only open on Sundays. i haven't shot up there for years. I use to go off roading in that area and shoot my pistols. I copied this from another website. I hope it helps.

Kernville - Kern River Valley Gun Association Inc., Cyrus Canyon, Kernville, CA 93238.
Phone: 760-376-3904
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (15yds-546yds), Outdoor Rifle (25yds-546yds), Trap, Archery
Hours of Operation: 8am-1pm Sundays
Range Access: Private

rksimple
12-07-2007, 9:07 AM
Go up toward Johnsondale from Kernville. From the left turn you make in Kernville, onto that road toward Johnsondale, go about 5 miles or so. All that land on the right is BLM. There are various dirt roads to take you in there. Used to hunt up there a few years ago.

You could also go up onto the greenhorn from Wofford Heights. Lots of forest land up there as well.

The other direction, you go out toward mountain mesa and continue to Kelso Valley road. Turn right and go about 15 miles. Its all BLM land out where the dirt road starts.

Cazach
12-07-2007, 3:42 PM
+1 to some of the previous suggestions. One item of caution though: The last big fire up there was caused by people shooting. I can't remember if it started at Headquarters or Goldledge campgrounds but there was a bit more scrutiny of "plinkin off the side of the road" after that.

And go to McNalley's for a steak. :)

jester
12-12-2007, 8:42 PM
McNalleys USED to be good. They changed ownership a year or so ago, and both the service and portion size went down, and prices went up.
Used to be able to get a mouthwatering 20 oz steak there for $30.Now, you get just a steak, maybe 12oz. for the same price.
I would have to be very damn hungry to go there again...

Cazach
12-14-2007, 10:14 AM
McNalleys USED to be good. They changed ownership a year or so ago, and both the service and portion size went down, and prices went up.
Used to be able to get a mouthwatering 20 oz steak there for $30.Now, you get just a steak, maybe 12oz. for the same price.
I would have to be very damn hungry to go there again...

That's a shame. That place was great for so many years. I haven't been there or to Ewings since either place changed ownership.

I will be up there in a week or so putting a dent in my ammo stores. :D

UBFRAGD
12-14-2007, 12:44 PM
I went to the ranger station I couple years ago, I think it was in Wofford Heights, and said I was interested in doing some plinking, would the ranger know of any areas? Her reply was quite shocking. She said go ahead and shoot anywhere but I must be a hundred yards from someones' house. I found an upslope shooting area, I think it was just outside Kernville, go past the few houses on the edge of town, turn right on that dirt road, head upslope for a while, can't miss it, haven't been there in a couple years.

Gas stations that sell ammo? I love Kernville!! Bought up all their 10mm!!

Nodda Duma
12-16-2007, 9:10 PM
My wife and I were married up at McNalley's. Shame that ownership changed. Havn't been up there in a while (I live on the eastern side of the Sierras).

-Jason