PDA

View Full Version : Missouri: Nixon to join AG on Amici brief in Heller

aileron
12-06-2007, 5:42 AM
Cool another one. That makes three so far. Arkansas, Missouri, Montana.

http://ago.mo.gov/newsreleases/2007/120407b.htm

December 4, 2007
Nixon to join attorneys general on U.S. Supreme Court brief in support of Second Amendment rights

Jefferson City, Mo. — Attorney General Jay Nixon announced today that he will work with attorneys general from other states to file a brief with the United States Supreme Court in support of an individual’s right to keep and bear arms under the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

The Supreme Court recently agreed to hear a challenge to Washington, D.C.’s gun control laws. Those laws essentially ban private handgun ownership and require that rifles and shotguns kept in private homes be unloaded and broken down or fitted with a trigger lock. When the Supreme Court takes a case, it allows interested parties not directly involved to file amicus curiae, or “friend of the court,” briefs.

“This case represents the first time in nearly 70 years that the Court will directly examine the Second Amendment,” Nixon said. “We have an opportunity here to get a court decision solidifying what most Americans already believe: that the Second Amendment guarantees individuals the right to keep and bear arms.”

Nixon noted that not all rights are absolute, and that he supports Missouri’s laws, including those that prevent criminals from obtaining handguns and enhance criminal penalties for crimes committed using deadly weapons.

Nixon will be working with his colleagues in other states to present the Court with historical and legal analysis supporting the position that the Second Amendment is an individual right.

“I believe our Founders intended the Second Amendment to extend to all law-abiding citizens, and I am pleased that the Supreme Court has agreed to resolve this debate,” Nixon said.

The case before the Supreme Court is District of Columbia v. Heller, Case No. 07-290. The Court is expected to hear oral arguments in the spring and issue a decision before June 30, 2008.

In 2004, Nixon successfully defended Missouri’s concealed carry law before the Missouri Supreme Court, establishing the Missouri General Assembly’s power to permit concealed weapons in Missouri.

Rhys898
12-06-2007, 10:45 AM
I think that would make it 4 since the Arkansas guy said he had contacted Texas and was joining with Texas' Amicus Brief.

Jer

aileron
12-06-2007, 10:58 AM
I think that would make it 4 since the Arkansas guy said he had contacted Texas and was joining with Texas' Amicus Brief.

Jer

Yup, your right. They're all joining Texas.

tiki
12-06-2007, 11:36 AM
I love the date of 6/30.

This year, I had reason to celebrate a little more than usual for the 4th of July because 7/2 was the deadline for the DOJ to submit its proposed regs to the OAL but didn't. So, I bought some extra fireworks.

Next year, I hope to be buying a lot of fireworks after SCOTUS rules that it is an individual right.

I'm starting to like the 4th of July a lot more.

Rhys898
12-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Well, so far that is 4 of the 13 who originally joined our side on the Appelate case. Hopefully, at the least, the other 9 will join if not more. It looks like 4 states and 3 cities joined the anti rights side during the Appelate case, but then Idaho withdrew their support. It would be awsome if we could get most of the rest of the states that stayed out of the last one.

Jer

Hopi
12-06-2007, 11:42 AM
i'm almost as giddy about this upcoming date as I was anxious on Dec 31st, 2005.......

stag1500
12-06-2007, 7:42 PM
I love the date of 6/30.

This year, I had reason to celebrate a little more than usual for the 4th of July because 7/2 was the deadline for the DOJ to submit its proposed regs to the OAL but didn't. So, I bought some extra fireworks.

Next year, I hope to be buying a lot of fireworks after SCOTUS rules that it is an individual right.

I'm starting to like the 4th of July a lot more.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does "OAL" stand for? Thanks.

oaklander
12-06-2007, 9:36 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what does "OAL" stand for? Thanks.

Office of Administrative Law.

tunder
12-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Jay Nixon has been a friend of the gunowner here in Missouri for a long time and is running for Governor next year. This leads to me political expressions I thought I'd never hear again.

Nixon in '08
Nixon's The One