PDA

View Full Version : Savage in .300 Win Mag question

jsr3313
06-10-2013, 5:26 PM
Hey all, it's been a while since I've been on here. Been kinda busy. Anyway, I picked up a Savage 111 in .300 Win Mag. I have yet to shoot it but I have a question. If I was to get a muzzle brake/compensator, what would you all recommend? I was thinking either the Smith Enterprises Good Iron Muzzle brake/copmpensator or the PWS PRC muzzle brake. Since it would be going on a bolt action, it doesn't need to look tacti-cool or anything. Just be effective. Thanks in advance.

postal
06-10-2013, 5:41 PM
I have a 'schuler' brake on my savage 308. Just google schuler brake it should pop right up. You cant beat the price. Works great, looks good too. I think I paid $55 for mine with shipping?

He has many options available from different thread sizes, different number of ports, different diameter, (larger dia, more ports, = more surface area... more surface area means more effective up to a point)

You will need to have the barrel threaded, and the brake 'timed' so it sits on the barrel in the correct orientation.

You dont have a location listed, but Randall at AR15barrels can do this while you wait if you're in socal.

ar15barrels
06-10-2013, 11:32 PM
You dont have a location listed, but Randall at AR15barrels can do this while you wait if you're in socal.

And even if he is not in so-cal, he can mark the top of the barrel, pull the barrel off the gun and send it to me with the brake and j can time the brake to the barrel for him.
My bolt action shop services are on www.700barrels.com

jsr3313
06-11-2013, 9:59 AM
Thanks. I'll take a look. I'm in Utah now (used to live in the Sacramento area). There's a local shop that can thread the barrel and time the brake. Thanks for the info

jsr3313
08-11-2013, 3:19 PM
WOW....I shot it for the first time yesterday. Thing kicks hard. About bruised my shoulder.
So, I ordered the Smith brake, as well as a Pachmyer pre-fit recoil pad. Hopefully those two things will help out with recoil. I need it for the deer hunt in a couple of months here.

ar15barrels
08-11-2013, 3:48 PM
WOW....I shot it for the first time yesterday. Thing kicks hard. About bruised my shoulder.
So, I ordered the Smith brake, as well as a Pachmyer pre-fit recoil pad. Hopefully those two things will help out with recoil. I need it for the deer hunt in a couple of months here.

Plan to wear electronic hearing protection for your whole hunt in case you actually have to fire the rifle on short notice.

Thorax
08-11-2013, 4:00 PM
Somehow wearing hearing protection on a hunt ruins it for me.

If you can't hear Bambi shuffling thru the leaves you will miss many an opportune shot.

I say do not hunt with a brake on the rifle....man up and learn how to deal with the recoil.

ar15barrels
08-11-2013, 4:33 PM

If you can't hear Bambi shuffling thru the leaves you will miss many an opportune shot.

I say do not hunt with a brake on the rifle....man up and learn how to deal with the recoil.

It's funny, I actually prefer the hearing protection because I hear MORE with the muffs on.
I turn them up to amplify ambient sounds.
They also keep my ears warm in cold weather.
I really hate them in hot weather though.
I wish we could have sound suppressors and hunt with them in CA...

osis32
08-11-2013, 5:35 PM
no way thats evil randall.

russ69
08-11-2013, 8:04 PM
WOW...Thing kicks hard.

Really? A 300 Win Mag? Who da thunk?

jsr3313
08-12-2013, 4:52 PM
Yeah Russ. I know. LOL. I knew it would kick. Just didn't realize how much

russ69
08-12-2013, 5:58 PM
Yeah Russ. I know. LOL. I knew it would kick. Just didn't realize how much

That's great for a new shooter, you'll save a lot of money on ammo...I'm good for 3 shots on a 300 Min Mag or a 375 H&H, then I go back to my 223.

BayouBullets
08-20-2013, 9:07 PM
Not that I'm pooh-poohing the recoil of the 300, but I would make sure my shoulder mount was correct before going to a muzzle break like your talking about. You WILL have ringing in your ears after the first shot without ear protection on. I used a 300 for many years hunting the pipelines. Use a lead sled for sighting it in. One shot a day is all you should be taking with it. The recoil of only one shot is manageable with proper technique for most any healthy adult male.

jsr3313
08-21-2013, 8:08 AM
Understandable. It was properly "mounted," but still pushed me back. I know the brake will increase noise. I can always change it to a different comp/brake too.
Once I get it back I'll let you all know the outcome.

thenodnarb
08-25-2013, 5:02 PM

I'm a bowhunter and I've never shot a deer that I heard first. Everytime I hear a deer, they're already spooked and tearing off to the next ridge. And if you are hunting with a 300 win mag at distances where you can hear the deer, well, isn't that kinda overkill? I thought 300WM is for like 400+ yard hunting. Inside of that, a .308 is adequate. Maybe I'm wrong though. I've never taken a deer with a rifle.

MongooseV8
08-27-2013, 12:55 PM
JP Recoil Eliminator is the most effective brake out there. I have several of them including my 300 Win Mag Savage, and it feels like a 223.

postal
08-27-2013, 2:03 PM
Understandable. It was properly "mounted," but still pushed me back. I know the brake will increase noise. I can always change it to a different comp/brake too.
Once I get it back I'll let you all know the outcome.

Any brake that works, is ***LOUD*** Doesnt matter what brand/model.

jsr3313
08-29-2013, 5:28 PM
They're putting on the JP instead