PDA

View Full Version : Potatoe Gun

scout II
12-05-2007, 8:41 PM
Is it legal in Ca.to build a potatoe gun out of pvc plastic and launch potaoes out of it using hair spray??:confused:

DedEye
12-05-2007, 9:14 PM
Is it legal in Ca.to build a potatoe gun out of pvc plastic and launch potaoes out of it using hair spray??

Vice President Quayle :confused:?

Rivet
12-05-2007, 9:17 PM
:owned: I'm sorry, I had to.

Richie Rich
12-05-2007, 9:31 PM
Vice President Quayle :confused:?

First thing I thought as well.... :D

It is legal to build a potatoe gun. Finding potatoes might present a challenge.

Now a potato gun on the other hand......AHH, I have no idea.

Just some friendly ribbing, I can't spel worth a crap either...

sierratangofoxtrotunion
12-05-2007, 9:36 PM
Ummmm, I was actually under the impression that a potato gun is NOT legal.

dfletcher
12-05-2007, 9:57 PM
That reminds me, when I was a kid we used to make tennis ball howitzers. Remove tops & bottoms, tape 3 empty tennis ball cans together, mount it on a wood plate & poke a little hole in the side. Throw in some blackpowder (one handfull I think) & dribble some out the hole for a fuse. Point & light and - "Foooom!!!" - sky high & lots of white smoke. More fun than lawn darts - though probably not safer.

.22guy
12-05-2007, 10:09 PM
I think they are legal, but I'm not sure. Why don't you ask the DOJ, they are always straight forward and helpful. (sarcasm)

Pulsar
12-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Illegal, at least any that use a fuel air explosion to detonate. Air powered is still legal, which makes me wonder if a dry ice/water combo with a quick release valve would be legal.

PS Unripe apples make better projectiles than potato's

PPS Unripe pears work even better than apples.

PPPS Several lit ground blooms (fireworks) on top of projectile in the middle of the night is very very fun.

PPPPS Of course, I only heard about this stuff ;)

Equalizer2
12-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Illegal!!
Once the principles were generally known, it was only a matter of time before a crime was committed with one of these formidable force-multipliers. It was no surprise, therefore, when it happened in Oakland in 1993. Bad luck all around with that: the perp was a car-jacker and using a potato gun fueled with hairspray he took a shot at a passing car. The driver's window was smashed, the fellow lost control of the car, which struck a pole. The driver was killed and the charge was murder. After the uproar that followed, potato gun ownership was made a crime, equivalent to possession of a sawed-off shotgun. :eek::eek::eek:

NoobShooter
12-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Illegal!!
Once the principles were generally known, it was only a matter of time before a crime was committed with one of these formidable force-multipliers. It was no surprise, therefore, when it happened in Oakland in 1993. Bad luck all around with that: the perp was a car-jacker and using a potato gun fueled with hairspray he took a shot at a passing car. The driver's window was smashed, the fellow lost control of the car, which struck a pole. The driver was killed and the charge was murder. After the uproar that followed, potato gun ownership was made a crime, equivalent to possession of a sawed-off shotgun. :eek::eek::eek:

And you best not have a "magazine" of more than 10 potatoes ...
And a pistol grip...
and silencer...
and collapsing buttstock...:icon_bs:

aileron
12-06-2007, 6:16 AM
Is it me, or does it appear that maybe those that make laws are a little on the stupid side, and purely irrational because they are making knee jerk reactions to rare occurrences. Because someone dies. People die all the time, its part of being on earth. Your gonna die, and there is no guarantee its going to be peaceful, logical, expected, or decent.

Potato Guns seem to be the realm of male teenagers up to somewhere in their early 20's.

Why would we care?

Im tired of nanny laws.

dixieD
12-06-2007, 7:15 AM
Illegal, at least any that use a fuel air explosion to detonate.

My times have changed. Back in 1974 when I was in the 5th grade in Palo Alto my teacher showed us how we could do this for a science project. It sure was fun launching tennis balls on the soccer field:D

Can'thavenuthingood
12-06-2007, 7:26 AM
When does a potato planter become a potato gun?
Is it at a given velocity?
Is it by target? people vs dirt?
Or intent?
Or by chamber pressures?
So did the legislature outlaw potato guns exclusively by veggie type or ignition source?

Is there a list of veggies?, that would implie an off list.

Would a rutabaga perform as well?
The carrot could become the .17 HMR of the veggie world.

Time for morning coffee,

Vick

milsurpshooter
12-06-2007, 9:22 AM
ok if its awsome/cool/bad ***/or fun in any way. then you can't have it in califorina.

DB2
12-06-2007, 9:29 AM
It is legal if you you compressed air ONLY. No flammables. The Deloso farms pumpkin maze has a pumpkin gun. Uses compressed air, perfectly legal.

saki302
12-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Compressed air launchers are also safer, quieter, and more powerful.
I made one many many years ago and gave it to an ex-nephew-in-law who begged for it.
I think the kid drove a spark plug through both sides of a computer with the thing :P (that's illegal I heard- you are only supposed to fire produce through it).

-Dave

Sal
12-06-2007, 1:24 PM
oh man.....i only know that the air powered ones are legal, i've built quite a few for use in airsoft to launch the little nerf finned footballs. I've got a unique valve system that i designed so that i can quick change the valve assembly between different outer shells for different type of airsoft games, so far we have a PIAT(british WW2) AT4(current US) and I'm working on a panzerchreck(sp?) and plan to do a LAW and probably a RPG-7 soon enough. I build them out of aluminum and PVC so no real danger of being caught with demill stuff.

Heres the PIAT setup before it was fully done, it got proper canvas cheek piece and shoulder pad covers. My valve assembly is semi auto, and runs on a remote line to a co2 tank. Well it would be semi it it had a feed mechanism, for now you can pop off air with every pull of the trigger, when you release it resets and recharges, then you push a nerf down the barrel. Its shown here with a fake piat round i made for display.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/Spiggys_pics/salpiat.jpg

pepsi2451
12-06-2007, 1:34 PM
So everyone seems to agree they are illegal. Can anyone post some penal code? I'm pretty sure at least some types of cannons are legal here, why not potato guns?

pnkssbtz
12-06-2007, 1:38 PM
Illegal, at least any that use a fuel air explosion to detonate. Air powered is still legal, which makes me wonder if a dry ice/water combo with a quick release valve would be legal.

In the law that makes Potato guns illegal, it also says that chemical eplosions (SUCH AS DRY ICE / WATER) are illegal because they are chemical exlposions...

Yes. Whoever wrote the law failed high school chem. Heck they failed basic 7th grade earth science.

pepsi2451
12-06-2007, 2:52 PM
In the law that makes Potato guns illegal, it also says that chemical eplosions (SUCH AS DRY ICE / WATER) are illegal because they are chemical exlposions...

What law would that be? I found this:

12301. (a) The term "destructive device," as used in this chapter, shall include any of the following weapons:
(1) Any projectile containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, including, but not limited to, that which is commonly known as tracer or incendiary ammunition, except tracer ammunition manufactured for use in shotguns.
(2) Any bomb, grenade, explosive missile, or similar device or any launching device therefor.
(3) Any weapon of a caliber greater than 0.60 caliber which fires fixed ammunition, or any ammunition therefor, other than a shotgun (smooth or rifled bore) conforming to the definition of a "destructive device" found in subsection (b) of Section 479.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, shotgun ammunition (single projectile or shot), antique rifle, or an antique cannon. For purposes of this section, the term "antique cannon" means any cannon manufactured before January 1, 1899, which has been rendered incapable of firing or for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade. The term "antique rifle" means a firearm conforming to the definition of an "antique firearm" in Section 479.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(4) Any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device of a diameter greater than 0.60 inch, or any launching device therefor, and any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, other than the propellant for that device, except those devices as are designed primarily for emergency or distress signaling purposes.
(5) Any breakable container which contains a flammable liquid with a flashpoint of 150 degrees Fahrenheit or less and has a wick or similar device capable of being ignited, other than a device which is commercially manufactured primarily for the purpose of illumination.
(6) Any sealed device containing dry ice (CO2) or other chemically reactive substances assembled for the purpose of causing an explosion by a chemical reaction.
(b) The term "explosive," as used in this chapter, shall mean any explosive defined in Section 12000 of the Health and Safety Code.

But I don't know what part would apply to to potato guns.

superhondaz50
12-06-2007, 4:41 PM
This is what I got from my local Sheriff, as well as my next door neighbor who is a lawyer. The potato gun, regardless of what propels the potato is legal. It only becomes illegal when certain projectiles are inserted into the bore. It is legal to shoot potato's and other such vegitables and fruits because they are deemed to be "safe" and for fun or for scientific purposes. As soon as somthing such as a rubber, or wood projectile, a bean bag, sabot's, darts, flechetes, rocks etc are inserted the device becomes a destructive device and is now illegal.

pnkssbtz
12-06-2007, 5:04 PM
What law would that be? I found this:

But I don't know what part would apply to to potato guns.

Yup thats the one.

A potato gun is a destructive device.

(6) Any sealed device containing dry ice (CO2) or other chemically reactive substances assembled for the purpose of causing an explosion by a chemical reaction. C02 release of gas when combined with water is not a chemical reaction. It is a change of state of matter. Both release energy but it is NOT a chemical reaction.

pepsi2451
12-06-2007, 5:38 PM
Yup thats the one.

The answer is probably right in front of me, but what makes it a destructive device?

Sal
12-06-2007, 6:44 PM
This is what I got from my local Sheriff, as well as my next door neighbor who is a lawyer. The potato gun, regardless of what propels the potato is legal. It only becomes illegal when certain projectiles are inserted into the bore. It is legal to shoot potato's and other such vegitables and fruits because they are deemed to be "safe" and for fun or for scientific purposes. As soon as somthing such as a rubber, or wood projectile, a bean bag, sabot's, darts, flechetes, rocks etc are inserted the device becomes a destructive device and is now illegal.

on that note, the DD wont apply if it only uses compressed air or compressed Co2 since its not using any chemical reaction to propel it, its not considered a firearm.

artherd
12-06-2007, 7:13 PM

Cites?

jmgray
12-06-2007, 7:28 PM
i thought that potato guns, as long as they were muzzle loaded, were legal. ie. something of the same category as a muzzle loaded blackpowder rifle which are not legally considered a firearm.

Samuel Adams
12-06-2007, 7:54 PM
Some guy I know ;) fired a "salad shooter" with PD watching. Talked to PD, they asked what are you doing, told them we, I mean the guy and his friend were playing with a salad shooter. They went on their way. This was mid 90's.
Starter fluid powered.

tdo315
12-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Department of the Treasury
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Washington, DC 20226
As defined in section 921(a) (3) of Title 18, United States Code (USC) the term "firearm" means --

(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
(B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
(C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
(D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.
As defined in 26 USC subsection 5845(f) (2) the term destructive device includes any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellent, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary or his delegate finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and (3) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. The term 'destructive device' shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10 of the USC; or any other device which the Secretary of the Treasury or his delegate finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.

It is unlawful for anyone to make or possess a destructive device which is not registered in accordance with the provisions of the National Firearms Act.

We have previously examined that certain muzzle loading devices known as "potato guns." These potato guns are constructed from PVC plastic tubing. They use hair spray or a similar aerosol substance for a propellant, and have some type of spark ignitor. We have determined that these devices, as described, are not firearms provided that they are used solely for launching potatoes for recreational purposes. However, any such devices which are used as weapons or used to launch other forms of projectiles may be firearms and destructive devices as defined.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Firearms Technology Branch, Room 6450
650 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20226
Sincerely yours,

(signature)

Curtis H. A. Bartlett Acting Chief, Firearms Technology Branch

Took that from the spudtech.com website.

I still would not go marching up and down my street with one or shoot it in the backyard, but out in the desert shouldn't be a problem. We were out at El Mirage last year on turkey day weekend and I had 3 of them leaned against my truck. We had a visit from a Ranger because my cousin was speeding up the main road on his dirt bike and he didn't even give them a second look. In fact, he looked at my sack of potatoes and told me that I needed to get bigger ones if I wanted them to go real far :)

scout II
12-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the info.My main point I guess I left out was,are these things banned locally.Where they banned in certain city's? Where they banned in some county's?I thought I remembered a law from the mid 90's banning them in Alameda County.I can't find anything on it,but remember reading it back then.How can I find out if they are legal to have in Alameda County????????

Equalizer2
12-06-2007, 10:38 PM
I remember an article from several years ago that they were banned under the California Penal Code. But have not been able to find it. I did find this from 2005.
Only in California!!:eek::eek::eek:

Joshua Tree National Park (CA) PVC Potato Cannons Seized from Scout Troop

On the morning of Saturday, October 29th, park employees received reports of a disturbance from visitors who were camping in the group campsites at Indian Cove Campground. Protection rangers responded. During the subsequent investigation, the rangers confiscated seven cannons constructed from PVC piping which were being used to shoot potatoes into the area of the campground through the use of a gas propellant. The cannons ranged in size from two to six feet in length and are defined as destructive devices under the California penal code. Other miscellaneous PVC piping, which was used for making the potato cannons, and three five-pound bags of potatoes were also confiscated. A local California Boy Scout troop occupied the site. The site permit holder was issued a violation notice for possession/use of weapons. The Scoutmaster and group leaders were given multiple verbal warnings for disorderly conduct, sanitation/refuse violations, food storage violations, and miscellaneous traffic offenses. [Submitted by Judy Bartzatt, Chief Ranger] Ed : I have mixed emotions here. What's wrong with having a potato cannon? Lots of physics, math, and chemistry to learn in ballistics. Just don't shoot it up in a public campground. It's an outrage that the leaders "earned" all those citations. Pick up your Conduct yourselves like REAL Boy Scout leaders should. Judgment, ethics and fun.

Equalizer2
12-06-2007, 11:01 PM
And this is from Texas!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

cant wait ta see what peta does about this one lmao.....
FORT WORTH (The Star-Telegram) ~

A Denton teen-ager was blinded this weekend and faces
reconstructive surgery because a toy gun he was playing
with shot a frog into his face.

Daniel Berry, 17, was looking down the barrel of a "potato
gun" when it went off, his parents, Lisa and Clifford Berry,
said at an afternoon news conference at John Peter Smith
Hospital.

Berry is in serious condition at the hospital, and doctors have
talked to the teen's parents about fitting him with prosthetic
eyes, the Berrys said.

[ ... and next ... a prosthetic brain.]

"The frog hit him with a force more than a gun," Lisa Berry, 41,
said. "If it had been a potato or a rock, it would have killed him.
It would have blown the top of his head off."

[ ... but no chance of it hitting anything inside his skull ...
because
that spot was *empty*.]

A potato gun is a device with a tube such as plastic water pipe,
a combustion chamber and an igniter. Projectiles such as
potatoes can be loaded into the tube and fired several hundred
feet when a propellant such as hairspray is ignited in the
chamber.

Berry and some friends were fishing at Hickory Creek in Copper
Canyon about 1 a.m. Sunday when they saw three other
teen-agers with the potato gun, said Kevin Patton, a Denton
County sheriff's spokesman.

"They were shooting potatoes, then one of them got the idea to
shoot frogs out of it," Patton said.

[How ... ironic.]

The gun, which the teens bought on the Internet, began to
misfire.

"Daniel Berry walked over to see if he could help," Patton said.
"Curiosity got to him, I guess. The frog hit him square in the face.
He suffered several facial fractures."

[No, this was not "curiosity." Curiosity had moved aside and
let Dumbass have its way with poor Danny.]

Clifford Berry, 59, said his younger son, C.W., was with Daniel
when the accident occurred. "He held him in his arms all the way
from the creek bank to the hospital in Denton," Clifford Berry
said.

Daniel Berry was eventually flown to JPS by helicopter
ambulance.

Lisa Berry said that the force of the blast blew off her son's
eyelids.

[Heh ...heh ... Heh ... heh ...]

"If he cries, it burns his eyes," she said. "I never thought any
toy a child could order would wound my child like that."

The Texas Penal Code classifies potato guns as "zip guns," and
they are considered illegal weapons, a spokeswoman for the
Department of Public Safety said.

Patton said the case was reviewed by the Denton County
district attorney's office. "There are not going to be charges
filed at this time," he said. "It's just a very unfortunate accident."

Daniel Berry told his parents he wants to continue his college
education.

"We've been telling him we're going to do the best for him," Lisa
Berry said. "He can still be a man, he can still be independent
with this disability."

saki302
12-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Wow.. just.. wow.

If it were a hamster, he may have died :D

-Dave

gunn
12-07-2007, 9:29 AM
And this is from Texas!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

cant wait ta see what peta does about this one lmao.....
FORT WORTH (The Star-Telegram) ~

A Denton teen-ager was blinded this weekend and faces
reconstructive surgery because a toy gun he was playing
with shot a frog into his face.

It's time to outlaw frogs.
-g

valleyrat
12-07-2007, 4:02 PM
Could a potato gun receiver be drosed? I would love to ask my local gun store that, or rather ask them if they would transfer an out of state potato gun for me. :D

Can'thavenuthingood
12-07-2007, 5:53 PM

Nooooooooo, its time to educate in the proper use of frog handling.
Frogs don't kill, its the idiots that don't know how to handle frogs that kill.
I grew up with frogs, had'em all over the farm and not one ever tried to kill me. Sure they were a bit rambunctious after a rain sometimes but jeez, who wouldn't be with all those raindrops pelting your head & arse?

And which frogs would you outlaw anyway?
The little green ones? The flying ones? or the bullfrog?

Next thing you'll be wanting to ban lightning bugs?
Its a slippery slope.

Vick

Hunter
12-07-2007, 6:17 PM
Potato guns are not illegal in themselves unless they use some form of combustion or explosion for expelling the potato. If they do, they fall under a "zip gun" in CA and are banned. So sticking a potato in your exhaust pipe would fall under this law:shock:.

Out side of that little fact, using air is not a problem. Now for actually using these potato guns (say with air) you are still under the same laws and city/county ordinances that control air rifles, pellet guns, bb guns, sling shots, ect... Otherwords most incorporated cities in the great state of ours will prohibit the discharge of said weapons within their boundaries. So running out and shooting potato guns in your front yard, backyard or home would be illegal in most cases. Owning the gun would not be.

Parag
12-07-2007, 6:55 PM
So then, how about a sharpened-carrot gun?

-- Parag

pepsi2451
12-08-2007, 4:37 PM
Potato guns are not illegal in themselves unless they use some form of combustion or explosion for expelling the potato. If they do, they fall under a "zip gun" in CA and are banned. So sticking a potato in your exhaust pipe would fall under this law:shock:.

Care to post a source? What makes a potato gun a zip gun?

Hunter
12-08-2007, 7:51 PM
Care to post a source? What makes a potato gun a zip gun?

You need to brush up on your Penal Codes. The definition of a "zip gun" makes a potato gun a "zip gun", if it uses an explosion or combustion (ie hair spray) to fire the projectile.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the
state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,
lends, or possesses any .....zip gun,

10) As used in this section, a "zip gun" means any weapon or
device which meets all of the following criteria:
(A) It was not imported as a firearm ...
(B) It was not originally designed to be a firearm ...
(C) No tax was paid on the weapon or device .....
(D) It is made or altered to expel a projectile by the force of an
explosion or other form of combustion.

eagleboard
06-01-2008, 1:43 PM
ive built 2 of them out of black pvc.tried everything from hairspray to carb cleaner for propellant.nothing worked until i tried "off" mosquito spray repellant. it was sooo on then!

-hanko
06-01-2008, 2:47 PM
-g
That will allow criminals to exploit the off-limit-toad exception (NOT a loophole:D).

Interesting story as my wife was town secretary (the only paid employee at the time) of Copper Canyon, TX. My good friend Butch lived in the town. We started with hairspray potato guns, they worked OK.

Think medium wall steel tubing, a big air tank, and a solenoid valve. We could toss soup cans filled with concrete a loooonnnnggg way down the Santa Fe right of way.

Never tried an amphibian, though you could scale up and try armadillos.:D

-hanko

StraightShooter
06-01-2008, 3:08 PM
Well heres some real world experience for you guys. My friend and I were launching lemons with a starter fluid variety potato gun and the cops came. They freaked out and said what we were doing was highly illegal and that if we were older (i was only 16 at the time) they would consider taking us to jail. Then my friends dad came out and talked to the cops and argued with them making things even worse. They ended up taking the potato gun and left us with a threat of felony weapons charges if they ever caught us doing it again. Personally i think they just wanted a free potato gun.

StraightShooter
06-01-2008, 3:09 PM
Never tried an amphibian, though you could scale up and try armadillos.:D

-hanko

I wouldnt try armadillos. They may say you were trying to use armor piercing projectiles.

hawk81
06-01-2008, 3:43 PM
Lemons and oranges work very well in them.

jamesob
06-01-2008, 5:50 PM
according to the doj. any device that can fire a vegatable from a smooth bore piece of plastic using a hair stylist spray as an exelerant is prohibited. not from a p.c just my humor. but its a no go on a potato gun. but what about a fruit gun? since a potatoe gun is on list and fruit gun is off list.

Shotgun Man
06-01-2008, 7:05 PM
You need to brush up on your Penal Codes. The definition of a "zip gun" makes a potato gun a "zip gun", if it uses an explosion or combustion (ie hair spray) to fire the projectile.

[PC Code quotations omitted]

It took five pages of posts before somebody actually answered the OP's question while citing the source of the info.

motorhead
06-02-2008, 9:40 AM
the zip gun thing is questionable. some cities have passed ordinances specifically banning spud guns. because it subject to interpretation, it's unclear whether they are legal statewide(sound familiar). they do not qualify as dd's. most are muzzle loaded, further muddying the water.
they have a website, spudfiles, you'd be amazed at the current spudgun tech. butane is now the preferred propellant although aqua net is available at the .99 store. they can honk a 1lb. potato at 400+ f.p.s. .
recently in s.d., there was a police call about 2 guys with a rocket launcher in the back yard, turned out to be a potato gun. as i recall, no arrests were made and i'm sure the cops were mondo p.o.ed about the whole thing.

SchooBaka
06-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Here's a tennis ball mortar I and a friend built for a Nam airsoft battle a couple years ago. It runs off compressed air or nitrogen and could launch tennis balls over 100 yards easily and fairly accurately.

http://www.airsoftreenactorsgroup.com/Ripcord/031.jpg

http://www.airsoftreenactorsgroup.com/Ripcord/043.jpg

AYEAREFIFTEEN
06-02-2008, 4:17 PM
Lemons and oranges work very well in them.

Lemons were our projectile of choice. Only had 1-7/8 ID worth of barrel to work with and a nice 2" O.D. lemon was perfect. Potatos never seemed to go as far due to the odd shape allowing some of the gas through.

Damn, can't have any fun any more. Only a matter of time before a water balloon launcher is considered a destructive device.

windsheer
06-02-2008, 10:44 PM
ive built 2 of them out of black pvc.tried everything from hairspray to carb cleaner for propellant.nothing worked until i tried "off" mosquito spray repellant. it was sooo on then!

The local Blankity blank blank group of campers sponsored by the blank are alive and well using potato lashers , the fuel of choice is either from pep boys .
Thew launch potatoes father than I can see it amazing . I'm sure it could kill you if it hit you in the chest t or broke your neck , The sound with using either & just covering the muzzle with 2 inch tape is like 12 gauge shot gun but deeper . Wakes up all the kids at 2 in the morning .

Good fun Hoya hoya

JayRuff
06-03-2008, 1:52 AM
And you best not have a "magazine" of more than 10 potatoes ...
And a pistol grip...
and silencer...
and collapsing buttstock...:icon_bs:

don't forget the flash hider

motorhead
06-03-2008, 9:28 AM
bbl.-4'L X 2"bore. combustion chamber-18"L X 6"dia. ignition-bbq. sparker. fired fron the shoulder like a bazooka. haven't been able to put a potato through the chrono yet, but m.v. is estimated in the 400's. that's with a 1#+ baker. aquanet for fuel, cheap and reliable, although it requires cleaning due to residue(like wolf ammo). earth shatterin kaboom, impressive flame at night. impact turns potato into paste.
i'll post pix, i have to dig out of garage and clean up. i've been busy building and shooting ak's lately.
edit-just to stir the anthill. if one can own, build and shoot a black powder cannon, why not a spud gun? i haven't heard of doj raiding civil war reenactments looking for homebuilts.

CrippledPidgeon
06-03-2008, 9:50 AM
The answer is probably right in front of me, but what makes it a destructive device?

rounds larger than .50 caliber? :p

Decoligny
06-03-2008, 10:15 AM
12301. (a) The term "destructive device," as used in this chapter, shall include any of the following weapons:
(1) Any projectile containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, including, but not limited to, that which is commonly known as tracer or incendiary ammunition, except tracer ammunition manufactured for use in shotguns.
(2) Any bomb, grenade, explosive missile, or similar device or any launching device therefor.
(3) Any weapon of a caliber greater than 0.60 caliber which fires fixed ammunition, or any ammunition therefor, other than a shotgun (smooth or rifled bore) conforming to the definition of a "destructive device" found in subsection (b) of Section 479.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, shotgun ammunition (single projectile or shot), antique rifle, or an antique cannon. For purposes of this section, the term "antique cannon" means any cannon manufactured before January 1, 1899, which has been rendered incapable of firing or for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade. The term "antique rifle" means a firearm conforming to the definition of an "antique firearm" in Section 479.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(4) Any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device of a diameter greater than 0.60 inch, or any launching device therefor, and any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, other than the propellant for that device, except those devices as are designed primarily for emergency or distress signaling purposes.
(5) Any breakable container which contains a flammable liquid with a flashpoint of 150 degrees Fahrenheit or less and has a wick or similar device capable of being ignited, other than a device which is commercially manufactured primarily for the purpose of illumination.
(6) Any sealed device containing dry ice (CO2) or other chemically reactive substances assembled for the purpose of causing an explosion by a chemical reaction.
(b) The term "explosive," as used in this chapter, shall mean any explosive defined in Section 12000 of the Health and Safety Code.

Yup thats the one.

C02 release of gas when combined with water is not a chemical reaction. It is a change of state of matter. Both release energy but it is NOT a chemical reaction.

While the release of gas from dry ice evaporation is not a chemical reaction per se, dry ice (CO2) is mildly chemically reactive.

That's why they added the "or" in the middle.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
06-03-2008, 10:19 AM
"I bet" a rolled up newspaper down the muzzle would work great. Also with a newspaper you can get the exact diameter you want by adding or removing sections.

Decoligny
06-03-2008, 10:35 AM
"I bet" a rolled up newspaper down the muzzle would work great. Also with a newspaper you can get the exact diameter you want by adding or removing sections.

That would give the neighborhood paperboy a little more respect.

"Here's your paper" BOOOOOM

sniperzeb308
06-03-2008, 1:14 PM
Can't you make an air gun version using an air compressor to get around the DD classification? We made one in shop class one time it worked pretty well but you gotta be careful PVC can only stand so much pressure and you need to let the glue cure. Most pressure breaks on the air powered version with happen at any elbows or step downs.

pepsi2451
06-03-2008, 4:37 PM

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the
state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,
lends, or possesses any .....zip gun

10) As used in this section, a "zip gun" means any weapon or
device which meets all of the following criteria:
(A) It was not imported as a firearm ...
(B) It was not originally designed to be a firearm ...
(C) No tax was paid on the weapon or device .....
(D) It is made or altered to expel a projectile by the force of an
explosion or other form of combustion.

Is there some kind of exception for cannons or mortars? I see people talking about making bowling ball mortars out of oxygen cylinders, would they be zip guns?

pepsi2451
06-03-2008, 4:42 PM
rounds larger than .50 caliber? :p

Where does it say that? All I see is:

A potatoe isn't "fixed ammunition"

jamesob
06-03-2008, 9:55 PM
ok how about t-shirt cannons? or like the guy down the street from me, he has a pumpkin cannon thats shoots from compressed air. that thing launches a pumpkin 1/2 a mile +. would that be a zip gun?

CrippledPidgeon
06-04-2008, 7:55 AM
Where does it say that? All I see is:

A potatoe isn't "fixed ammunition"

that was meant to be a joke... whatever.

pepsi2451
06-04-2008, 1:33 PM
that was meant to be a joke... whatever.

LOL OK I wasn't sure, I have heard that before from people that were being serious.

So anyone know how people can build cannons? Are they "zip guns"? Is there some kind of exception? Every "potato gun" I have seen was more like a cannon then a gun.

sb_pete
06-04-2008, 2:19 PM
Made one with 4" tubing for the barrel once (4" x 6' barrel / 6" x 12" combustion chamber. We had to use newspaper as wadding and an old broomstick as a ramrod. Where I was living at the time, potatoes were not to be found in nearly the same abundance as empty alcohol containers. It would fire empty 750ml bottles and beer bottles a good few hundred yards. Golf balls were great too. Actually that thing was really just kind of a "garbage gun." It shot anything in the kitchen - kind of like the cannon version of a blunderbuss. Lots of fun, but not exactly environmentally friendly if you know what I mean - Loud boom, garbage downrange and shredded newspaper blowing in the wind - The Sierra club types didn't find it nearly as fun as we did:rolleyes:

On a side note, These things have a danger of bursting combustion chambers and I burned myself a few times getting some back blast through the igniter touch hole. For safety I recommend tightly wrapping the combustion chamber in duct tape, then a layer of chicken wire mesh, then another layer of duct tape. This will in theory minimize the shrapnel in the event of a catastrophic failure. I also got to drilling an overpressure release hole (pointed away from shooter obviously;)) which I filled with epoxy and covered in duct tape (not to seal it in but to make noise as gas escapes when the epoxy fails and also to keep the epoxy from blowing out dangerously). Occasionally it would blow out and need to be re-done, but this is safer than blowing the chamber up in your hands. Remember, gas will escape along the path of least resistance - that should be down the barrel, but if something goes wrong you want a backup path pointed away from you.

No idea on the legality of all this, I defer to previous posters on that. I know that in my experience, LEO's tend to look more at what you're DOING with devices like this rather than what it is. Don't be an idiot or use it as a weapon and you'll probably be fine.

Hope that helps,
-Pete

saki302
06-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Hmm.. I wonder, if you made one out of metal, put a carriage under it, and called it a cannon, it would be legal again, right? :D haha

A black powder potato cannon- can you imagine? You'd have to wayyy reduce the carges, or it would be a potato juice gun.

If you want a PVC cannon, make an air-powered one. Legal, and MUCH safer.

-Dave

Nahuatl
06-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Loaded with french fries, it's a shotgun

sb_pete
06-13-2008, 1:13 PM
Loaded with french fries, it's a shotgun
LOL, maybe Schlopgun?

tkmech21
06-13-2008, 2:43 PM
I used to have one we would play with when it got slow at work. It was about 6' long with a 2" diam. Barrell. We would charge it with OxyAcetaline, Man that thing had a kick, Flew out of the shooters grip On several occasions:62:. from what I've heard its acctually a felony offence to be in possesion of one By terms of homemade Gun "Zip Gun". I didn't read every post here so I may be repeating information already posted, but from what I heard if its combustion propelled, Illegal. If its Air pressure, Legal. I'd rather just leave it alone and keep my right to own a real gun.

ryan_80
06-16-2008, 8:39 AM
A way back I was on the ATF website and found a form. To file with the ATF to build a potato cannon.

scewper
07-16-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm working on a compressed air piston-valve spud cann...err irrigation valve. I'll post pics later :43:

kap
07-16-2008, 11:49 PM
How about a sabot chicken gun a la Myth Busters? Certainly a sabot poultry round is illegal in California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Chicken_Gun

Apeman88
07-17-2008, 12:06 AM
If it is powered by compress air, it is legal. If it powered by any type of combustable substance (i.e. gun powder, hair spray or anything that needs to be ignited)... ILLEGAL... at least in CA.

Don't mess with potato guns at all. It's the fastest way to loose your guns. Some kid (13 or 14yr old) in Newport beach got busted last year with quite a few potato guns and other explosive material. Bomb Squad was called and they removed a lot of stuff. Some the kid didn't even know how dangerous they were. He got off lucky... partily becuase he was young and stupid and was not building them to hurt people. But he could of killed himself. But if you are over 18... you are expected to know what you doing and the legality of them.

motorhead
07-17-2008, 9:47 AM
caulking gun cartriges work well when taped to fit bore diameter. am i violating the geneva convention by using chemical weapons? the ones full of henry's roofing tar are especially nasty on impact.
once again i must raise the question, what makes a combustion potato gun different from a homebuilt black powder cannon or mortar? i can see l.e. luking in the shadows of reenactment battlefields now waiting to gaffle up illegal artillery.
anyone wondering why we live in a nanny state need only read threads like this. it's like when a poster on one of the shooting site SERIOUSLY asked where he could legally shoot his bb gun. BTW- a plastic mc donalds fork fits the p.c. discription of a "dagger or dirk".

SchooBaka
07-17-2008, 7:51 PM
I'm working on a compressed air piston-valve spud cann...err irrigation valve. I'll post pics later :43:

I used 24V sprinkler valves in my build. The firing mechanism was a 50 cal ammo can with 3 9V batteries hooked up in series through 2 buttons, one on the top and one on the side. This way, whoever was working it had to use both hands to fire(in order to be sure they were not trying to rapid fire and end up with their hand over the muzzle.

TheDM
07-18-2008, 8:11 PM
Is it me, or does it appear that maybe those that make laws are a little on the stupid side, and purely irrational because they are making knee jerk reactions to rare occurrences. Because someone dies. People die all the time, its part of being on earth. Your gonna die, and there is no guarantee its going to be peaceful, logical, expected, or decent.

Potato Guns seem to be the realm of male teenagers up to somewhere in their early 20's.

Why would we care?

Im tired of nanny laws.

Ding Ding Ding!

With you all the way +1

I'm thinking of writing you in as President.

Seriously.

Vectrexer
07-18-2008, 8:19 PM
That reminds me, when I was a kid we used to make tennis ball howitzers. Remove tops & bottoms, tape 3 empty tennis ball cans together, mount it on a wood plate & poke a little hole in the side. Throw in some blackpowder (one handfull I think) & dribble some out the hole for a fuse. Point & light and - "Foooom!!!" - sky high & lots of white smoke. More fun than lawn darts - though probably not safer.

God those WERE FUN, FUN FUN! Used to use Ronson Lighter fluid in place of the black power. Had to get the mixture just right. I have a feeling someone is going to get a lesson in their construction when they are old enough. ;)

Vectrexer
07-18-2008, 8:24 PM
Unfortunately in Pacifica they have seemed to cover all kinds of launchers by stating that only backyard air powered rifle and pistol ranges are allowed. No Gunpowder of any sort. Too bad Kali real estate prices in my area limit my "backyard size". :(

scewper
07-18-2008, 9:53 PM
I used 24V sprinkler valves in my build. The firing mechanism was a 50 cal ammo can with 3 9V batteries hooked up in series through 2 buttons, one on the top and one on the side. This way, whoever was working it had to use both hands to fire(in order to be sure they were not trying to rapid fire and end up with their hand over the muzzle.

Mine will work just like a big sprinkler valve. The piston slides in a 4" pipe (air chamber) and seals a 2" pipe (barrel). A regular sprinkler valve in the back acts as the solenoid on a sprinkler valve, it releases the air holding the piston closed (or diaphragm). The air in the chamber ahead of the piston pushes the piston back and goes out the barrel along with any veggies.

SchooBaka
07-18-2008, 9:59 PM
I just put the sprinkler valve between the air chamber and the barrel. Theres' a formula somewhere for how big you want the chamber in relation to the barrel. Do a search on pneumatic cannons to find it. I launch tennis balls outa mine, so no piston needed; just had to find a barrel the correct diameter. I would think you'd get more range by using some sort of wadding rather than a piston setup.

edit:

Make sure you use at least Schedule 80 pvc if you're using pvc. I also installed a 125 psi blowoff valve to prevent overpressure in case the regulator failed.

God Bless The Mauser
07-18-2008, 10:37 PM
In CA if it's fun it's illigal.

Ken H
07-19-2008, 1:42 PM
Potatoe guns are 100% illegal in Kalifornia.

PC 12031 (a) (3) having a diameter of .60 or larger, then the use of explosive propellant as stated in subsections.

I see where one member posted a BLM agent saw 3 of them leaning up against his car and didn't say anything, DON'T let this be a guide to assuming it's ok cause the cop didn't say anything......That's just insane.

I'll bet money he didn't even know about this section PC 12031.

THEY ARE ILLEGAL....Launch a potatoe and smack someone, you might also be charged with ADW, PC 245...A Felony....

I like tator guns myself, their fun, but illegal as heck.....

TheDM
07-19-2008, 4:43 PM
Potatoe guns are 100% illegal in Kalifornia.

PC 12031 (a) (3) having a diameter of .60 or larger, then the use of explosive propellant as stated in subsections.

I see where one member posted a BLM agent saw 3 of them leaning up against his car and didn't say anything, DON'T let this be a guide to assuming it's ok cause the cop didn't say anything......That's just insane.

I'll bet money he didn't even know about this section PC 12031.

THEY ARE ILLEGAL....Launch a potatoe and smack someone, you might also be charged with ADW, PC 245...A Felony....

I like tator guns myself, their fun, but illegal as heck.....

So we need a .59 caliber potato gun... a tater tot gun :)

6172crew
07-19-2008, 5:11 PM
Hmm, I guess the golf ball launchers are ok because thye were drosed into CA?

pepsi2451
07-19-2008, 5:17 PM

I assume your referring to PC section 12301. The full quote is:

I have never seen a "fixed ammunition" potato gun.

Launch a potatoe and smack someone, you might also be charged with ADW, PC 245...A Felony....

What is your point? If you hit someone with a baseball bat you could be charged with ADW, that doesn't make baseball bats illegal.

I know they could be considered a "zip gun" but doesn't that make cannons "zip guns" too?

Ken H
07-19-2008, 5:33 PM
Pepsi, no special point, just additional charges if someone should get foolish with one.

Sorry Pepsi yes 12301 typo my bad. That section is what LE uses regarding potatoe guns. It would fall under cannon vs zip gun...

Under .60 diameter, I guess that might work, but you still have the flammable substance issues....I don't think I'd go there with anything like that.

I must add that as we all know the problems LEO's have with the lack of knowledge on OC, you will probably find it worse on this stuff... LEO's just don't know most of the weapons laws...More confusion for all....

HowardW56
07-19-2008, 5:37 PM

Now that sounds like FUN!!!!!:D

bohoki
07-19-2008, 5:40 PM
anyone remember bombbags?

they were little silver plastic packages filled with baking soda and had a little internal baggie filled with vinegaryou pinched the internal bag till it broke then is swelled up and poped i guess they were banned too

Matt C
07-19-2008, 6:03 PM
anyone remember bombbags?

they were little silver plastic packages filled with baking soda and had a little internal baggie filled with vinegaryou pinched the internal bag till it broke then is swelled up and poped i guess they were banned too

Damn, good point...:eek:

ColdSteel
07-19-2008, 6:38 PM
Make sure you use at least Schedule 80 pvc if you're using pvc. I also installed a 125 psi blowoff valve to prevent overpressure in case the regulator failed.

Use galvanized steel...
It works well and there is no glue curing time. :D

nobody_special
07-19-2008, 6:55 PM
12031(a)(3) applies to devices which fire fixed ammunition; that is not the case here.

The "zip gun" statute does not apply to any device which was originally designed to be a firearm.

So, if one were to design and build a potato gun, intending it to be a firearm, would you technically be legal?

elsolo
07-20-2008, 3:19 AM
Legal or not, it's nearly impossible to play with one without breaking the law.
I prefer a coaxial pneumatic with diaphram/piston valve.

pepsi2451
07-20-2008, 12:52 PM
12031(a)(3) applies to devices which fire fixed ammunition; that is not the case here.

The "zip gun" statute does not apply to any device which was originally designed to be a firearm.

So, if one were to design and build a potato gun, intending it to be a firearm, would you technically be legal?

This is interesting. So does it qualify as a real firearm? Can I make one and just treat it like a real gun? I hate these stupid laws, no one knows whats legal until someone becomes a test case. I can't see anyone wanting to spend the money to fight a potato gun case.

ETA: I don't like this part:

(10) As used in this section, a "zip gun" means any weapon or device which meets all of the following criteria:
(A) It was not imported as a firearm by an importer licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(B) It was not originally designed to be a firearm by a manufacturer licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(C) No tax was paid on the weapon or device nor was an exemption from paying tax on that weapon or device granted under Section 4181 and Subchapters F (commencing with Section 4216) and G (commencing with Section 4221) of Chapter 32 of Title 26 of the United States Code, as amended, and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(D) It is made or altered to expel a projectile by the force of an explosion or other form of combustion.

So it has to be designed to be a firearm by a manufacturer licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

Doesn't that make any homemade firearm a zip gun? Can someone tell my why the home made ak receivers people are making aren't considered "zip guns"?

pepsi2451
07-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Legal or not, it's nearly impossible to play with one without breaking the law.
I prefer a coaxial pneumatic with diaphram/piston valve.

Well if it is legal I don't see how it would be any harder then shooting a gun without breaking the law.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
07-20-2008, 2:36 PM
This is interesting. So does it qualify as a real firearm? Can I make one and just treat it like a real gun? I hate these stupid laws, no one knows whats legal until someone becomes a test case. I can't see anyone wanting to spend the money to fight a potato gun case.

ETA: I don't like this part:

(10) As used in this section, a "zip gun" means any weapon or device which meets all of the following criteria:
(A) It was not imported as a firearm by an importer licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(B) It was not originally designed to be a firearm by a manufacturer licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(C) No tax was paid on the weapon or device nor was an exemption from paying tax on that weapon or device granted under Section 4181 and Subchapters F (commencing with Section 4216) and G (commencing with Section 4221) of Chapter 32 of Title 26 of the United States Code, as amended, and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(D) It is made or altered to expel a projectile by the force of an explosion or other form of combustion.

So it has to be designed to be a firearm by a manufacturer licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

Doesn't that make any homemade firearm a zip gun? Can someone tell my why the home made ak receivers people are making aren't considered "zip guns"?

The way I read this, it sounds like they don't want you to make it out of PVC pipe or something otherwise similar that you can get at a hardware store that clearly wasn't manufactured to be a gun part.

But what is the "gun?" Isn't the receiver always the gun? And not the barrel? So if you machined the combustion chamber on a lathe, THAT would be the gun, and you could make the barrel be anything you wanted.

Maybe?

saki302
07-21-2008, 1:23 AM
If you wanted combustion power bad enough- what if you bougth a blackpowder cannon, and used a light charge to send a potato flying? Now THAT would be a potato CANNON! haha

I would imagine a more substantial powder charge would give you instant potato salad.

-Dave

elsolo
07-21-2008, 4:20 AM
Well if it is legal I don't see how it would be any harder then shooting a gun without breaking the law.

Because a potato cannon temps you to play with it in inappropriate places and times.

The old "Hold my beer and watch this..."

nobody_special
07-21-2008, 11:41 PM

@*&!... doesn't that define anything homemade as a zip gun? (Includes black powder cannons, or anything turned out in a home shop including finished 80% receiver builds, etc.)

sierratangofoxtrotunion
07-22-2008, 6:11 PM
@*&!... doesn't that define anything homemade as a zip gun? (Includes black powder cannons, or anything turned out in a home shop including finished 80% receiver builds, etc.)

Nah, 80% builds are ok by this particular statute. The whole point is that the manufacturer really was making a receiver but it isn't finished.

To me, this says that if you're making it out of PVC pipe from the hardware store (intended for water & stuff, not the barrel of a gun / cannon) and a bbq igniter (intended for baked potatoes, not the kind we're talking about) then no, that's not legit. If you're starting from scratch and making a barrel on a lathe out of a tubular extrusion, the company that makes that extrusion knows you're going to make "something" out of it.

Mikeb
07-22-2008, 6:38 PM
SO what if you are makeing a pistol from 41-40 CM steel with a rifled barrel. For the moment lets say it is flint or cap ignition shooting a projectile (round ball) with black powder.
Under Federal law it is not even a firearm, unless you shoot someone with it(I think). But by this terribly written CA law it sounds like a zip gun.
reading CA law always gives me a headache
Mike

lucas_shane
09-07-2008, 2:34 PM
if you really want a perfect fruit or veggie launcher just take you some 2inch steel pipe and weld you a cap on one end and piece you an ignition hole in he capped off end and use oxygen and accetylene as the propellant. mark my words "use ear protection" and make damn sure you are shooting in to a VACANT area. this baby will make everybody come see what you are up to. so if in you alls case you might better head to the dessert.

5hundo
09-08-2008, 12:39 PM
What makes a potato gun a zip gun?

"Del Fuego"...

If it uses a combustion of chemicals or other gases/compounds, it's officially a "firearm" (hence, "fire" is what makes it a "zip" gun).

Now, if you used a CO2 cartridge or some other means (like compressed air with an actuator) it's debatable... (ask me how I know that ;) )