PDA

View Full Version : 21st Amendment was ratified today.

petey
12-05-2007, 4:16 PM
The 21st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified on Dec. 5th 1933, repealing the 18th Amendment and bringing an end to the era of national prohibition of alcohol in America.

:cheers2:

I think I'll have a drink tonight to celebrate.

Hopefully, one day in the future I'll celebrate the triumph of Parker vs. DC and go shooting. Full-auto of course!

:36:

CCWFacts
12-05-2007, 4:25 PM
Yes I'll also have a drink to celebrate this event, and it will be fun to celebrate by empting a few mags from my (future) Glock 18, after years of court battles make that possible.

In the news today, distillers just won a battle against the 1912 prohibition on absinthe, and will start selling it again in the US:

Alameda distiller to start selling absinthe soon (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/05/MNQJTO9FM.DTL)

"When something has been banned since 1912, it's hard to get it undone," he said.

We'll be saying that (change 1912 to 1986) in the next few years I hope.

bohoki
12-05-2007, 4:25 PM
well it want ratiified today this is just the anniversary

TheNate
12-05-2007, 4:26 PM
Yes I'll also have a drink to celebrate this event, and it will be fun to celebrate by empting a few mags from my (future) Glock 18, after years of court battles make that possible.

In the news today, distillers just won a battle against the 1912 prohibition on absinthe, and will start selling it again in the US:

Alameda distiller to start selling absinthe soon (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/05/MNQJTO9FM.DTL)

We'll be saying that (change 1912 to 1986) in the next few years I hope.

That's kind of exciting.

dixieD
12-05-2007, 4:27 PM
[QUOTE=CCWFacts;866584]Yes I'll also have a drink to celebrate this event, and it will be fun to celebrate by empting a few mags from my (future) Glock 18, after years of court battles make that possible.

This is fantastic news!!!!

gose
12-05-2007, 4:35 PM
It's legal in quite a few countries now, so it's cool that they can sell it, but I never really bought into the hype and I never noticed anything different when drinking absinthe compared to other spirits either.
YMMV...

CCWFacts
12-05-2007, 4:43 PM
The absinthe thing is just hysteria / hype. There was no rational reason to ban it; it's no more dangerous than any other alcohol of similar proof. As for whether it's desirable or not, I'm sure that, now that it's available here, I'll end up tasting some, and thinking, "whatever", and continue drinking the stuff I like (in moderation).

chickenfried
12-05-2007, 4:47 PM
Everyone knows real bay area hipsters drink fernet.

MikeK
12-05-2007, 4:51 PM
lol

I read that as "drink ferret"

gose
12-05-2007, 4:59 PM

Guess I'm not a hipster then....

I once won a 4.5 liter bottle of Fernet (at a shooting competition!) and I think that cured me from ever wanting to drink it again.

chickenfried
12-05-2007, 5:12 PM
I've never had Fernet, descriptions of the taste were enough to turn me off. I'm also eliminated from hipsterhood by riding a bike with gears.

NoTime2Shoot
12-05-2007, 5:15 PM
Yup, on my B-day!

(just a bunch of years earlier)

artherd
12-06-2007, 2:02 AM
Fantastic news, absinthe is quite tasty (but otherwise not terribly significant.) I did notice lack of any hangover the last time I had some.

socalguns
12-06-2007, 2:21 AM
the hysteria was bought and paid for by the wine industry

slick_711
12-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Mmm, I don't know. I've only had Absinthe a handful of times, 3 of which left me no more impressed or satisfied than any other liquor... those other two times were no "typical" drunk though, and left me convinced there are varying degrees of wormwood and varying production methods that lead to such a difference. I look forward to finding out first hand whether the newly legal Absinthe lives up to my interesting prior experiences. :confused:

Hopi
12-06-2007, 1:03 PM
Mmm, I don't know. I've only had Absinthe a handful of times, 3 of which left me no more impressed or satisfied than any other liquor... those other two times were no "typical" drunk though, and left me convinced there are varying degrees of wormwood and varying production methods that lead to such a difference. I look forward to finding out first hand whether the newly legal Absinthe lives up to my interesting prior experiences. :confused:

Drink enough Mezcal, and you'll be wishing for a tamer ride on some strong Absinthe.....

N6ATF
12-06-2007, 8:18 PM
lol

I read that as "drink ferret"

Me too!

My inhibitions are lowered over a nicely brewed brown bottle of beer of the root variety.

socalguns
12-07-2007, 1:38 AM
next time don't drink straight from the bottle, dillute :D