PDA

View Full Version : counter person who doesnt know his arse from a ppt

cnyankee
12-05-2007, 10:29 AM
im buying a handgun today and going to ppt it at local ffl. i just stopped buy to inform them that this will be happening this afternoon and the guy at the counter says great. we then start talking guns and i told him im picking up 3 handguns friday from dros. he comes unglued stating that i can only do 1 gun per 30 days. i informed him these and the other 3 are ppts and are exempt from the 30 day rule. he says absolutely not but he will call the doj to confirm.
im just amazed that someone who works at a gun counter and does ppts doesnt know the law. the manager should be in when we do this. if he isnt then i will still do this and have them put it in the safe and talk to the manager later.

the way i see it i have 2 options
do it somewhere else (my #1 ffl is closed on weds.)(and the person who im buying the gun from is on his way down traveling from the north bay)

do it there and educate the counter person. this is the one im going with because of stated reason above and educating someone who actually does this for a living.

this isnt a full on gun shop but a sporting goods / camping store. and the people that work there are pretty cool though uninformed.

and i was able to argue confidently because of the education i got and continue to get from calguns so thanks calguns

BONECUTTER
12-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Working in a gun store can be hard. I have only been doing it part time for about a month and I seem to learn new stuff everyday.

I think its all about attitude. I don't know everything and don't pretend too so when new stuff comes up I have no problem saying "I'm not really sure on that...fogive me, I'm going to check with someone else."

This site has been invaluable to me, in that many things I had been told at other gun stores has been untrue. I don't fault other gun shops or employees for not knowing. I fault them for speaking out of their rear.

Hopefully I don't ever give out bad info and have someone rip me on the net. :) But, if I do it will be given out without attitude. :D

cnyankee
12-05-2007, 11:13 AM
and thats why i am going to do it there because the argument was without attitude.

Harbinger
12-05-2007, 11:24 AM
What is up with PPTs in CA? Why are the laws for them so hard for FFLs to follow?

Mike

tenpercentfirearms
12-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Go back in later and if that guy isn't there, keep quiet about the other handguns until after the paperwork has gone through. Then try and educate.

Another option is to say, "Here is my money, run the paperwork, if it gets denied, I lose my money".

PIRATE14
12-05-2007, 12:20 PM
What is up with PPTs in CA? Why are the laws for them so hard for FFLs to follow?

Mike

Ya kiddin right........:D

dfletcher
12-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Working in a gun store can be hard. I have only been doing it part time for about a month and I seem to learn new stuff everyday.

I think its all about attitude. I don't know everything and don't pretend too so when new stuff comes up I have no problem saying "I'm not really sure on that...fogive me, I'm going to check with someone else."

This site has been invaluable to me, in that many things I had been told at other gun stores has been untrue. I don't fault other gun shops or employees for not knowing. I fault them for speaking out of their rear.

Hopefully I don't ever give out bad info and have someone rip me on the net. :) But, if I do it will be given out without attitude. :D

I've been hunting and shooting and buying guns for about 40 years. I think that's the first time I've ever had a gun store employee basically say "I don't know, but I'll find out". Excellent answer. If more folks took that approach I think we'd attract more shooters - I hope you keep that approach even after years in the business.

cnyankee
12-05-2007, 12:52 PM
update:
transaction went off without a hitch...counter person was very happy to learn of all the exemptions of 30 day rule. i am now the proud owner of a kimber ss pro carry II

i copied the doj exemption page from a calguns post and gave it to him:D

BONECUTTER
12-05-2007, 1:21 PM
I hope you keep that approach even after years in the business.

I'll try my best. I have trained a lot of people in my day job and always teach them with the "you will look a lot more stupid if you give the wrong answer then saying I'm sorry I don't know....Let me find out"

Hopefully I will continue to practice what I preach.

artherd
12-05-2007, 10:57 PM
update:
transaction went off without a hitch...counter person was very happy to learn of all the exemptions of 30 day rule. i am now the proud owner of a kimber ss pro carry II

i copied the doj exemption page from a calguns post and gave it to him:D

OUTSTANDING!~ I love this site.

chiefcrash
12-06-2007, 6:22 AM
I've been hunting and shooting and buying guns for about 40 years. I think that's the first time I've ever had a gun store employee basically say "I don't know, but I'll find out". Excellent answer. If more folks took that approach I think we'd attract more shooters - I hope you keep that approach even after years in the business.

+100000000000

I can completely understand if a gun shop employee/owner can't remember ALL of CA's 50 bazillion gun laws. I know I can't. But the ones who throw a hissy fit and won't listen are the ones I won't do business with...

FortCourageArmory
12-06-2007, 6:53 AM
It's funny. THe first day my junior partner was working in the store, he went over to the computer and made a sign. When he hung it up, I read it and it made me laugh. It said, "PLEASE NOTE....WE DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING!!!" The more I see that sign up in the store, the more I think I brought the right guy on-board.

Harbinger
12-06-2007, 6:55 AM
It's funny. THe first day my junior partner was working in the store, he went over to the computer and made a sign. When he hung it up, I read it and it made me laugh. It said, "PLEASE NOTE....WE DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING!!!" The more I see that sign up in the store, the more I think I brought the right guy on-board.

WOW! Excellent! :D

Bill_in_SD
12-06-2007, 8:12 AM
We would have a lot more shooters if customer service in general improved at gun shops, at least here is San Diego.

Turners has been good, but some of the others pretty rough. And their prices are typically higher than Turners, I would expect customer service to be worse at Turners....... but I have had little or no attitude from the Turners folks.