PDA

View Full Version : LAW Rocket inert tube - no-go?

ohsmily
12-05-2007, 7:58 AM
Are inert LAW Rocket Tubes (expended launchers) destructive devices in CA under 12301(a)(2) or 12301(a)(4)?
PC 12301
(a) The term "destructive device," as used in this chapter, shall include any of the following weapons:

(2) Any bomb, grenade, explosive missile, or similar device or any launching device therefor.

(4) Any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device of a diameter greater than 0.60 inch, or any launching device therefor, and any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, other than the propellant for that device, except those devices as are designed primarily for emergency or distress signaling purposes.

I am inclined to say "yes," they are DDs in CA, in part because of the established classification as a destructive device of the grenade launching muzzle device on the "Yugo SKS." I know that these Yugos are imported with the GL either cut off at the middle, removed, or sleeved with metal permanently affixed around it.

Perhaps some of you are avid militaria collectors and have direct/specific knowledge about an exception for the LAW tubes or a lack thereof.

Thanks for your input.

-Adam

dustoff31
12-05-2007, 8:14 AM
As the law is written, I tend to agree that it would be viewed as a DD in CA.

On the other hand, the LAW was issued as a single item, rocket and launcher, and is not reloadable. Once fired it is an empty tube and disposed of.

One could make the argument that an empty LAW tube is no more a rocket launcher than a piece of empty brass is ammunition.

It would be wise of course, to make this case to DOJ before acquiring the tube.

ryang
12-05-2007, 7:33 PM
The letter of the law is quite plain. Any launching device qualifies. Nowhere does it mention an exemption for single-use non-reusable tubes.

M. Sage
12-05-2007, 8:19 PM
But is a non-reusable tube a launching device after it's been used?

dustoff31
12-05-2007, 9:06 PM
But is a non-reusable tube a launching device after it's been used?

That's my point. I don't believe it is. It's just residue. A 105mm howitzer round is a DD. But after it is fired all that's left is a big brass case. Is that case still a DD?

Draven
12-06-2007, 12:08 AM
I could use one as a prop...

Army
12-06-2007, 12:29 AM
I could use one as a prop...
Won't it look funny on the front of the airplane?

Many surplus stores will have a tube or two, even AT4 tubes too.

Stanze
12-06-2007, 12:31 AM
I believe they are now illegal in CA, otherwise you'd see them still at gun shows and swap meets like you used to.

Draven
12-06-2007, 1:04 AM
Many surplus stores will have a tube or two, even AT4 tubes too.

And they are usually marked 'NOT FOR SALE"

artherd
12-06-2007, 1:07 AM
How about drilling a 1" hole in the side towards the face of any user.

Then you dare Iggy to test-fire it at the trial.

ldivinag
12-06-2007, 9:26 AM
maybe a painting the tip orange, will help??????

lol....