PDA

View Full Version : 2 Thoughts re. Heller/Parker

Paladin
12-04-2007, 10:50 PM
1) I think part of the reason we did not do as well this past year in Sacto as compared to 2006 is that many of us got lazy/slack figuring that Heller/Parker will clean up the PRK for us -- bad assumption.

2) If Heller doesn't go our way, I predict/hope there will be such an outcry that a grassroots movement to push for a Con Amendment clearly stating that the 2nd A protects an individual RKBA will take off like wildfire and zip through state capitals around the nation, hopefully with the NRA taking the lead.

I hope the NRA is making some basic contingency plans for just such an outcome.

Grouch
12-04-2007, 11:05 PM
#2 wont happen.

America is too lazy :(

hoffmang
12-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Paladin,

I have a different feeling on 1. I think we did almost as well as we did the year before, but the previous year had a lot more new momentum driven by OLLs. This year we got burned by folks that are paid to be on our side...

On 2, It is a very remote risk that we lose Heller, but if we do, it will have a limited impact as the state constitutions still offer most Americans plenty of protection.

-Gene

bwiese
12-05-2007, 12:13 AM
I think people realize Parker/Heller is not the be-all/end-all. It's just setting up the initial dominoes, with other cases placing more dominoes and then tipping one or two over.

But I agree with Gene.

There did seem to be a tad less engagement here, but between active Calgunners and NRA forces (which are often overlapping), the phones were ringing off hook at the Governor's - enough to do the job with the sentiments in the office at the time. Apparently there were hundreds to thousands of pro-gun calls per day.

Last year, we did have some additional focused traction due to the DOJ proposed regulations and the Aug 16 hearing coinciding with bill signing season.

But frankly, we were wholly screwed by the idiocy of GOC's Sam Paredes. Our battle was not with the Bradys, we shot ourselves in the foot.

Our mission next year is to be even more engaged, and to somehow restrain GOC and CRPA from exercising poor ego-/revenue-driven thought processes or taking contrary positions just for lobbying income.

I've already heard that GOC & CRPA are experiencing some, um, "income fluctuations" - must be getting a bit desparate as appears some GOC people at gunshows are going up to the NRA booths and trying to lure people to join GOC instead of (as opposed to "also with") NRA!

Paladin
12-07-2007, 9:47 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. While I'm confident of what you say re the "other" pro-RKBA groups doing in Sacto is correct, I was just mentioning my observations re the threads and posts on this forum (and I mean this 2nd A/RKBA, politics, law subforum). It seemed like we were discussing and more focused on the latest and various speculations swirling around Heller/Parker than we were focused on getting everyone we could writing/calling/faxing/One-Clicking.

JMO