PDA

View Full Version : Kestrel 3500

PistolPete75
12-04-2007, 6:35 PM
Anyone know where to get one of these for the least amount of money? This is the last piece of the puzzle for me, and I will have all the gear I need.

Time to start logging in data.

ocabj
12-04-2007, 6:48 PM
It's pretty much the same everywhere for the Kestrel units. I bought a Kestrel 4000 off of eBay awhile back from an authorized vendors. That vendor was cheaper than the average by about $10. Not much savings.

It's a nifty item, but I hardly used it. I only used it for temp, and sometimes humidity and barometric pressure. I didn't put much stock on the wind meter functionality. It works great, it's just that I find wind at my position to be worthless.

I ended up selling it on The Sniper's Hide, awhile back.

If I need a weather meter, I'll get a cheaper one without the wind speed functionality.

Mute
12-04-2007, 7:14 PM
Ebay is probably your best bet.

PistolPete75
12-04-2007, 7:41 PM
It's pretty much the same everywhere for the Kestrel units. I bought a Kestrel 4000 off of eBay awhile back from an authorized vendors. That vendor was cheaper than the average by about $10. Not much savings.

It's a nifty item, but I hardly used it. I only used it for temp, and sometimes humidity and barometric pressure. I didn't put much stock on the wind meter functionality. It works great, it's just that I find wind at my position to be worthless.

I ended up selling it on The Sniper's Hide, awhile back.

If I need a weather meter, I'll get a cheaper one without the wind speed functionality.

your saying this because you rather read mirage right? you never know how the wind is at different points on the range which will have a huge effect for driftage. good point.

ocabj
12-04-2007, 7:52 PM
your saying this because you rather read mirage right? you never know how the wind is at different points on the range which will have a huge effect for driftage. good point.

Not specifically because I'd rather read mirage, but because I'd rather base my wind call on the wind between me and the target, and not the speed of the wind at my position. Granted, I'd use mirage along with flags and other objects for estimating speed and direction.

Of course, you could argue that the speed of the wind at your position is roughly the same as the wind between your position and the target. This would be pretty accurate at short range (100-200 yards). 300 is iffy. 500/600+ I wouldn't use the wind speed or direction at my position in my wind call judgement for the actual shot.

But the Kestrel is a nifty tool if you want to track weather conditions, especially in load development. The 4000 series actually has a logging feature and you can get an optional adapter (serial or USB) to transfer the logs to your computer. So if you're a hardcore reloader, it's a good way to tie in actual weather conditions with your chronograph results (the Kestrel also has an internal clock so the logs are date/time stamped). I never took advantage of that feature, but if I still had my 4000 now, I would.

Kestrel even came out with a portable vane mount:

http://www.nkhome.com/store/product.php?productid=16291

This would be an awesome tool for benchrest rimfire shooters since you could place the Kestrel out at the 25 yard line. Set it to log every 15 seconds or so. Get a clock that's synced up with the clock on the Kestrel then log the time you take each shot you take during a match or range session. After the range session or match is over, you can go back to the Kestrel logs and correlate the shot on each target to wind speed (and direction) at the time the shot was taken.

rksimple
12-04-2007, 8:06 PM
The kestrell is nice to have, like ocabj said, to monitor other conditions besides wind. Even by measuring the wind at your position, and observing what the grass, trees, etc. are doing, you can get a good feel for what the wind is doing between you and the target by the same observations. Its a handy tool.

PistolPete75
12-04-2007, 8:46 PM
my biggest challenge will be estimating hold offs for wind. i must learn how to read mirage next year.

on a side note, i plan on spending less time on reloading and more time shooting.

Prc329
12-04-2007, 9:40 PM
How bout the radioshack unit Timberwolf uses. Everything but the wind meter.

PistolPete75
12-04-2007, 9:41 PM
how much was that?

Prc329
12-04-2007, 9:43 PM
I could never find the exact unit but there were a few I found that gave temp, humidity and pressure for under $100. Some were as low as $30.

Timberwolf
12-04-2007, 9:52 PM
I picked mine up at Radio Shack for around 30.00 as I recall (been a few years). As to wind I've never gotten into the wind gauge per se. I'm much more concerned about mid and down range conditions that those on the firing line.

Learn to read nature - cottonwood trees are good (remember our watching the cottonwoods at your Dad's place during the clinic), as well as sage brush.

PistolPete75
12-04-2007, 9:57 PM
i tried that. i have to work on it. sometimes i can't tell the difference between full value and half value. sometimes it's hard to figure out where the wind is exactly coming from. like was it 8 or 9 o'clock is what i'm thinking in my head. and when it's blowing hard, that dam tree or bush be blowing all over the place. i'll be was that 8, 9, or 10 o'clock? guess it comes with experience. i've only been shooting 30cal rifle for hmmm....about a 1/2 year.

thanks for the radio shack advice. i'm going to check that out tomorrow.

Mute
12-04-2007, 10:11 PM
The wind meter is still a good tool to have. During practice, you can make note of visual cues and then take a wind measurement so you have an idea of what effect various wind speeds have on the surrounding environment.

Vu 308
12-05-2007, 1:27 PM
yo PP

Forget spending 300+ on a fancy wind meter man.

All you need is TEMP and WIND SPEED

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=894095

30.00 so when you break it you won't be so butt hurt.

Vu out.

ar15barrels
12-05-2007, 2:50 PM
I have a Brunton Sherpa.
About $50 on ebay a few years back.

It reads out:
wind speed
temperature
pressure
elevation

I see their newest version also does humidity now.

wildcard
12-05-2007, 4:13 PM
I have a Brunton Sherpa.
About $50 on ebay a few years back.

It reads out:
wind speed
temperature
pressure
elevation

I see their newest version also does humidity now.

Pssh.. humidity..

ar15barrels
12-05-2007, 4:17 PM
Pssh.. humidity..

It's a dry heat. ;)