PDA

View Full Version : looking for a place to shoot - Santa Clarita area

homers
12-04-2007, 7:55 AM
I'm looking to shoot rifles (upto 300 yrds) and some clay pigeons. I know of "A Place to Shoot" north of the Santa Clarita area.

1) Are there any open land that I can shoot?
2) What's the normal cost to shoot at a range? I see the place above has yearly memberships for $300 (me + a couple of family/friends). Is this about right for SoCal -- I use to pay $50/year back in Michigan.
3) Are there other ranges in the area?

Thanks

Budd
12-04-2007, 8:38 AM
www.angelesranges.com

50 Shooter
12-04-2007, 1:54 PM
There's also Desert Marksman but it's private and you'll need to join. www.dmrpc.org

C.G.
12-04-2007, 3:24 PM
This one I've been to, handgun reactive target and shotgun clays:
http://www.oaktreegunclub.com/

I've not been to "A place to shoot", but I've heard it is good.

Timberwolf
12-04-2007, 3:33 PM
FOr Santa Clarita itself "A Place to Shoot" is about it as far as a public range with rifle, pistol and shotgun. The range fees are 12.50 for the day for adults plus a 2.50 deposit for target frames which is refundable if you don't shoot the frame. There is a range just north of APS which is private. Oaktree is nice though IIRC its limited to shotgun and pistol. Beyond that the next closest would be ASR.

A Place to SHoot is nice, but then I'm predjudice since I'm a part time RO there.

DesertDawg
12-06-2007, 4:46 AM
Try www.socalcamping.com/ and www.blm.gov/ca/barstow/johnson.html for starters. You're probably within about a 1.5 to 2 hour drive to BLM land, but you need to contact BLM beforehand to find out if there are any seasonal or temporary restrictions.