PDA

View Full Version : BLM land in SoCal for LONG range shooting

The Laughing Jackal
12-03-2007, 8:42 PM
I am looking for a nice piece of BLM land for tannerite target shooting within a 3 hour drive of Thousand Oaks. I've been thinking of a few spots up near Barstow, but I've never been there and would like some help or directions from people who have.

Thanks,
Jackal

NwG
12-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Jawbone Canyon area..

Never any problems...

DesertDawg
12-06-2007, 4:32 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Tannerite is classified as an explosive or incendiary substance, and is NOT allowed on BLM land. No "safe and sane" fireworks, either.

wildcard
12-06-2007, 9:20 AM
Jawbone Canyon area..

Never any problems...

Just got to watch out for dirt bikers.. they're all over the place..

The Laughing Jackal
12-06-2007, 5:53 PM
tannerite is considered a blasting agent, not an explosive. as long as it doesn't piss anyone off, its fine. buy some quick before it becomes illegal

Any other places up for recommendation?

Thanks

tdo315
12-07-2007, 12:32 AM
No clue, but let me know when you find a place. I am in T.O. also and I'll split gas with you :)

justinLB
12-07-2007, 6:56 AM
Ive posted directions to my spot before out in Barstow. Just look at my previous posts and you'll find them. Or send me a PM and ill get the directions for you.

rksimple
12-07-2007, 9:10 AM
I go through Jawbone Canyon just about weekly on my way to our ranch. There are plenty of shooting spots along there, and some more isolated spots with good backstops where the bikers can't go.

wildcard
12-07-2007, 9:20 AM
I go through Jawbone Canyon just about weekly on my way to our ranch. There are plenty of shooting spots along there, and some more isolated spots with good backstops where the bikers can't go.

There's places where the bikers can't go? I've seen them in places I didn't think possible. Of course there are places they legally shouldn't be :)

Spodycart
12-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Hey everyone,
I've been looking for spots near TO as well, so I wanted to register and say thanks for the ideas :)

4D5auto
12-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Can no longer shoot on BLM in No Cal either...

NwG
12-07-2007, 7:50 PM
The Jawbone Canyon area is HUGE! (When you include the BLM land not just Jawbone canyon)

Yes, there are a lot of riders out there.. Most of them stick to a few rather small areas and the ones that do go deep into the desert are easy to spot long before the ever are in any danger from you shooting.

There are many spots you can get to 20-30 minutes off the highway that offer great shooting.. 99.9% of the time you will not see another person the whole time you are out there. We have a spot where we can safely shoot out past 1,400 yards and not be a danger to anybody.. I have been going there for over 15 years and have yet to see a ranger come by our camp.. And trust me, we have done everything humanly possible to make as much noise one can without dieing from the loud! We took over 200 pounds of Tannerite out just a few weeks ago! A few 10 pounders and one 20 pounder and nobody cared.. Well one father and son set of riders did stop in camp to BS about guns.. We shot some Tannerite and showed the kid how to shoot..

The dad would not shut up about how cool the Tannerite was and the son (~10 years old) shot a few hundred dollars of our ammo! (We didn't care, kid was having a blast!) They stayed for 3-4 hours!

Anyway... Pick a good spot deep in the Jawbone area and you will have no problems. Great place to shoot and ride!

CSACANNONEER
12-07-2007, 8:01 PM
I'm in TO too! I'm in for SAFE shooting. I've got everything from .22s to .50s (including a BP mortar) and the vehicles to hall them wherever I need to go.

justinLB
12-08-2007, 1:47 PM
Bush administration has drasticly cut their funding, and their way understaffed LOL, Remember all the "sportsman for bush" stickers you used to see on the back of chevy 1500's

tdo315
12-08-2007, 7:48 PM
LOL, Remember all the "sportsman for bush" stickers you used to see on the back of chevy 1500's

LOL - I have one of those stickers on my toolbox out in the garage.

USN CHIEF
12-08-2007, 8:35 PM
What about in the San Diego county are? Any BLM land overhere where they allow shooting?