PDA

View Full Version : Selling a handgun out of state

Electric Factory
12-03-2007, 5:44 PM
Please forgive the redundancy but using the Search feature I couldn't find the specific answer. Having sold my handgun to an out of state buyer, can I ship it directly to his FFL , or must I ship it through an FFL on my end ? If 'yes', who in your opinions [ buyer or seller] should pay that FFL fee ?

Mssr. Eleganté
12-03-2007, 6:51 PM
Legally you can ship it to the buyer's FFL directly. You will have to use UPS or FedEx overnight shipping which can run you around $60 or so.

Many FFL's have a policy of only receiving firearm shipments from other FFL's. If the buyer's FFL has such a policy then you can either find an FFL near you who will ship it for you or you can ask the buyer to find another receiving FFL who doesn't have a problem receiving the handgun directly from you.

If the handgun is being shipped from FFL Dealer to FFL Dealer then they have the option of using the USPS. Since the USPS is so much cheaper than UPS or FedEx overnight service it might end up costing you the same as shipping it yourself, even after your shipping Dealer charges you a fee for his time.

The buyer should pay all fees, but that information should be included in your for sale ad.

Fjold
12-03-2007, 7:03 PM
IMHO. If the buyer tells you that his FFL requires the gun to come from another FFL it is his responsibility to pay for it.