PDA

View Full Version : M-4 upper

ffosty
12-03-2007, 2:44 PM
Is it legal to sell an complete upper with bolt carrier, bolt and charging handle from an full auto M-4 A-2 heavy barrel SOPMOD ? If so what would be a good price range to put it on the market for?

Just kinda wondering.

D

NRAhighpowershooter
12-03-2007, 2:59 PM
yes it's legal as M-16 carriers are not bad parts. As for price.. not sure...

rksimple
12-03-2007, 3:06 PM
Ummm...doesn't the true m4 have a 14.5 inch barrel? That would be an SBR and not able to be sold in CA to the average gun buyer.

adamsreeftank
12-03-2007, 3:13 PM
yes it's legal as M-16 carriers are not bad parts. As for price.. not sure...

While I haven't read the actual text of the law and many people would no-doubt agree with you, I was debating this with an LEO friend this weekend and he said you could likely get arrested for having a full auto bolt carrier in an AR-15.

And if it is a true M4 upper, the barrel will be too short to be legal.

If you just want the look, go the the CMMG website and they can build a legal upper like what you want.

QuarterBoreGunner
12-03-2007, 3:14 PM
Ummm...doesn't the true m4 have a 14.5 inch barrel? That would be an SBR and not able to be sold in CA to the average gun buyer.
Reply With Quote Ding ding ding! WINNER.
No 14.5" barrel for you! Or anybody else for that matter. Unless you can get around the constructive possession rules and have the appropriate muzzle device permanently attached before the sale.

ffosty
12-03-2007, 3:33 PM
So let say a guy gives me an M-4 SOPMOD complete upper with full auto bolt and carrier all I have to do is put a permanent muzzle break on it then its legal maybe? LOL im a bit confused.

D

DedEye
12-03-2007, 3:41 PM
So let say a guy gives me an M-4 SOPMOD complete upper with full auto bolt and carrier all I have to do is put a permanent muzzle break on it then its legal maybe? LOL im a bit confused.

D

Not sure what the restrictions are on who is allowed to do it, but someone has to permanently attach a muzzle device to bring the overall length to 16". I'm not sure if your friend giving the upper to you would turn you into a lawbreaker (as constructive possession applies, even if you don't build an SBR with it).

QuarterBoreGunner
12-03-2007, 3:42 PM
An upper is just an upper; not restricted. The M4 barrel needs to have a permanently attached muzzle device (depending upon what type of lower it's going on with features or without). As soon as the muzzle device is permanently attached, it becomes part of the overall length of th barrel. The magic number here is 16". Most builder go for at LEAST 16.5" just to be sure.
The FA bolt/carrier should be good to go as well; just don't have any of the FA FCG parts in your possession at the same time. Even if your lower is incapable of housing them.