PDA

View Full Version : Local Drive-by Media - NBC 11 'Military Weapons'

Ubergeek
12-03-2007, 2:17 PM
I caught a teaser for a segment on 'military style weapons on our streets' that's slated for broadcast on tonight's NBC 11 news programs (San Francisco Bay Area NBC affiliate).

I can probably recite chapter and verse what the segment will be about and what they're going to say, but in case you feel like writing them and calling them on their falsehoods.

Steyr_223
12-03-2007, 2:25 PM
Thanks man, will look out for it..

Here is there site. Maybe they will post the stream..

http://www.nbc11.com/index.html

Sutcliffe
12-03-2007, 2:39 PM
I could be wrong, but leopards are not prone to change their spots.

M. Sage
12-03-2007, 6:24 PM
I'd bet it's slanted the same way as the "Why cops need more firepower" stories that have been coming out lately.

Are the Brady Bunch brewing something new up, or is this an attempt at damage control for or an attempt at swaying the justices on the upcoming Heller decision? That's the real question. They're really pushing the "assault weapon" stories all of a sudden...

wilit
12-03-2007, 6:32 PM
But these style of weapons were banned in California back in 1989 and the loophole again closed in 2000. How can these criminals possibly getting these banned assault weapons?! WHY ARE OUR LAWS NOT WORKING?!

pidooma
12-03-2007, 10:24 PM
But these style of weapons were banned in California back in 1989 and the loophole again closed in 2000. How can these criminals possibly getting these banned assault weapons?! WHY ARE OUR LAWS NOT WORKING?!

Apparently, they are coming in "by the truck loads" from Nevada to be sold on the streets of California.

I'm surprised they left in the interview with the prison inmate that said that guns aren't the cause of the violence. "The gun won't do anything to you until I pick it up."

Sgt Raven
12-03-2007, 10:32 PM
More FUD :eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

troyus
12-03-2007, 10:53 PM
What about the children.

bwiese
12-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Must be some real investgative reporting.

They still haven't caught on to OLL stuff even when led by the nose.

Even if they did now, it wouldn't help/hurt too much. If they tried to do something they'd have to reverse/revert AB2728 and that'd make people either look bad, or their heads spin, or both.

Any further AB2728-like dances will be very useful to demonstrate down the line that legislative intent is, um, schizoid...

socalguns
12-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Hey did you hear there is an oil spil in the bay? :eek::rolleyes::D

Redchevyman
12-03-2007, 11:10 PM
The story asks veiwers to call the cops on anyone they know that has "assault weapons". They made no mention that thousands of these so called assault weapons are legally owned and registered by law abiding citizens in this state. The only redeeming part of the story is when they said the key to ending youth violence starts at home with concerned parrents. I could not agree more.

Ford8N
12-04-2007, 4:31 AM
They still haven't caught on to OLL stuff even when led by the nose.

I wonder if reporter contacted the BOF DOJ and they told them not to mention anything about OLL's. Didn't the DOJ tell that guy from some Capitol newspaper they wouldn't talk to him if he mentioned CalGuns. OLL's are quite a phenomenon in this state and there is no mention. Coincidence? Manipulation of the media?

PIRATE14
12-04-2007, 8:16 AM
Expect to hear a lot of the AW ban and such stories as the election is rapidly approaching and afterwards as well......

bwiese
12-04-2007, 8:34 AM
I wonder if reporter contacted the BOF DOJ and they told them not to mention anything about OLL's. Didn't the DOJ tell that guy from some Capitol newspaper they wouldn't talk to him if he mentioned CalGuns. OLL's are quite a phenomenon in this state and there is no mention. Coincidence? Manipulation of the media?

Could be but probably not. Capitol News is fairly small/insular and it doesn't wanna cut off its sources since it lives in the Sacto stewpot. A TV station/regular newspaper will be a bit different.

ldivinag
12-04-2007, 9:22 AM
Apparently, they are coming in "by the truck loads" from Nevada to be sold on the streets of California.

dont forget they also flashed "hidden" camera footage from a gunshow...

I'm surprised they left in the interview with the prison inmate that said that guns aren't the cause of the violence. "The gun won't do anything to you until I pick it up."

to me, this the CRUX of the news piece.

but as usual, they breezed through this like the reporter didnt even hear it, but the EDITOR is a gun owner and inserted it... ;)

milsurpshooter
12-04-2007, 9:45 AM
there asking to get sued.

milsurpshooter
12-04-2007, 9:48 AM
dont forget they also flashed "hidden" camera footage from a gunshow...

to me, this the CRUX of the news piece.

but as usual, they breezed through this like the reporter didnt even hear it, but the EDITOR is a gun owner and inserted it... ;)

yeah i saw nothing but russian arms dealers and gangbangers at the reno show. give me a f-ing break. besides we should call the cops for bad reporting/false advertising

StukaJr
12-04-2007, 9:52 AM

Which is, once again - against the California Law :chris:

Ubergeek
12-04-2007, 10:20 AM
I caught the segment on the 11 PM news broadcast, and it was your typical hit piece.

1. it had the typical catchphrases: 'military style', 'high powered'

2. it had the grieving mother

3. it had the babbling idiot 'community activist' blaming inanimate objects for the troubles of their POS neighborhoods

4. it had the clueless law enforcement officer with the table of mostly legal firearms, going on about how 'dangerous' these weapons were

The thing that really bothered me was the advice that anyone should anonymously report all 'assault weapons'. If the weapons that were on display were typical 'assault weapons', then I guess every Mini-14/SKS owner should expect a visit from local law enforcement.

cartman
12-04-2007, 12:22 PM
would the news station by liable since as it was stated, many people own legal aw's. furthermore the news report made no mention of the oll situation. Is there any recourse here?

Ubergeek
12-04-2007, 12:26 PM
would the news station by liable since as it was stated, many people own legal aw's. furthermore the news report made no mention of the oll situation. Is there any recourse here?

The news piece suggested the tipsters do so anonymously. I guess that covers NBC11 in terms of liability since there would be no way to establish a link between NBC11 and the legal woes you might find yourself in.

Besides, they're the media. They're beyond all reproach.

milsurpshooter
12-04-2007, 12:41 PM
this probally a good i would think they are scared of this brady thing.

532Fastback
12-04-2007, 12:42 PM
The thing that really bothered me was the advice that anyone should anonymously report all 'assault weapons'. If the weapons that were on display were typical 'assault weapons', then I guess every Mini-14/SKS owner should expect a visit from local law enforcement.

I hate reporters, they get everything wrong. Its too bad our media is run by a bunch of idiots that don't know how to do any good research instead of the biased crap they come out with.

dfletcher
12-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Since SCOTUS in 1939 upheld the lower court's decision on Miller because a sawed off shotgun was not a military use weapon, doesn't that infer a right if the weapon does happen to be a weapon used by the military?

My mistake - AWs are not used by the military. Full autos are used by the military. Where can I get mine? :rolleyes:

chris
12-04-2007, 12:57 PM
we all know that they lie and to bad the public is too stupid to relize it.

Crazed_SS
12-04-2007, 4:09 PM
hahaha.. man, I hate CA.. http://www.nbc11.com/video/14774839/index.html

With reports like that, I dont think we're ever gonna have real so-called "Assault Weapons" ever again in this state.

The attitudes of the cops bother me the most. They're acting like AWs are a special type of gun, whereas other guns shoot bullets, but arent really lethal. I would not want to explain and offlist AK to them.

I love how the cops think hunting rifles are somehow safe when compred to "Assault Weapons" that could shoot through your walls and kill you at dinner.

.300 Win Mag, .30-06, etc is no joke. Some months ago an Oceanside police officer was killed by gang members who shot him with a scoped hunting rifle from 100yds off. Cop never had a chance.. never knew what hit him.

The only half-way responsible part of that report was the convict at the end who took responsibility for his actions and explained it isnt guns that create the violence.

M. Sage
12-04-2007, 5:26 PM
+1 to what you said, SS. The most disheartening part of that report was hearing the police officials spew such BS.

I hate reporters, they get everything wrong. Its too bad our media is run by a bunch of idiots that don't know how to do any good research instead of the biased crap they come out with.

You're assuming that they can't do research and come to a logical conclusion: they can. Do they want to is the question.

Hearing what the police representatives had to say on the matter, could you blame a reporter too much? That Contra Costa deputy was really full of crap, he's gotta be a charter member of the Brady Campaign or something :confused:

We can always flood 'em with emails.

fairfaxjim
12-04-2007, 5:34 PM

With reports like that, I dont think we're ever gonna have real so-called "Assault Weapons" ever again in this state.

The attitudes of the cops bother me the most. They're acting like AWs are a special type of gun, whereas other guns shoot bullets, but arent really lethal. I would not want to explain and offlist AK to them.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: The truth is that, on an institutional level, most LE organizations are scared to death of citizens having firearms, and will do almost anything to discourage them. That policy has been drifting down through the rank and file for a long time now, and makes having a firearm in the presence of an LEO very risky.

With the exception of the lifer at the end, the whole segment was a poorly written crock-o-s**t! Nothing but LE FUD and scare tactics. That Richmond Police Chief is a doofus - how many of those "turckloads of guns" have been busted? NONE! They don't exist except between the otherwise empty space between that guys ears. He hasn't got a clue what's going down in his town, and has to have something to say, so "hey, I know, guns from Nevada, yeah, that's it, Nevada." With it's citizens living in tents to protest the violence, and their police chief looking for truckloads of guns from Nevada, Richmond may as well be buldozed under and start over.

M. Sage
12-04-2007, 5:49 PM
With it's citizens living in tents to protest the violence, and their police chief looking for truckloads of guns from Nevada, Richmond may as well be buldozed under and start over.

Worked for Emeryville.

fairfaxjim
12-04-2007, 5:56 PM
Worked for Emeryville.

Yeah, but do we need another Ikea so close? That's a lot of cheap 'put it together yourself' furniture. Maybe we can just expand the Richmond Rod & Gun Club.

taloft
12-04-2007, 6:51 PM
That was one horrid bit of reporting.:mad:

oaklander
12-04-2007, 7:06 PM
The problem isn't the guns, it's the gang-bangers who use the guns. But it would not be too PC to talk about how certain groups of people are more likely to commit crimes than other groups of people.

I'm also concerned about the LE officers who appear on these stories and perpetuate the myth that so-called AWs are the cause of the crime. First off, most gun crimes are committed with handguns. Second, most gun crimes are committed by gang-bangers.

There's no way to get rid of the guns. Time to get rid of the gang-bangers.

M. Sage
12-04-2007, 7:10 PM
I'm also concerned about the LE officers who appear on these stories and perpetuate the myth that so-called AWs are the cause of the crime. First off, most gun crimes are committed with handguns. Second, most gun crimes are committed by gang-bangers.

Third, maybe not most, but a hell of a lot of gun crimes are committed on gang bangers.

Oh, and I wrote them an email calling BS on the whole thing. Suggested they find some sources who don't lie out their butts (and offered to take reporters shooting.)

oaklander
12-04-2007, 7:13 PM
Maybe they need more guns, not less.

:43:

Third, maybe not most, but a hell of a lot of gun crimes are committed on gang bangers.

M. Sage
12-04-2007, 7:21 PM
Maybe they need more guns, not less.

:43:

"Tonight at 11: victimless crime on the rise!"

fairfaxjim
12-04-2007, 9:13 PM
"Tonight at 11: victimless crime on the rise!"

How can there be a crime without a victim? Who reports it? Who do the investigators interrogate? :confused: I guess I gotta watch at 11. I was planning on getting to bed early tonight too!

M. Sage
12-04-2007, 9:32 PM
Considering most of the criminal laws on the books are for victimless crimes... There's even a term for those laws: Malum prohibitum.

Steyr_223
12-04-2007, 9:32 PM
Here is the video of the story:

http://www.nbc11.com/video/14774839/index.html

M. Sage
12-04-2007, 9:35 PM
Sorry, Steyr. SS beat you to it.

Steyr_223
12-04-2007, 9:39 PM
Duh!! :)

Someone should email Richmond Police Chief Chris Magnus, the LEO that says there are "truck loads of Assault Weapons coming in from Nevada"..

cmagnus@richmondpd.net

Tell him is smoking too much crack..We should tell him about OLL AR and AKs that are legal. Plus the thousands of legally registered pre-2000 so-call AWs.

:)

thedrickel
12-04-2007, 9:41 PM
I think I will talk to them again at the next gun buyback. They put me in the July story but I declined to speak with them this weekend. I have a few choice words for them next time.

Salty
12-05-2007, 1:52 AM
AW rounds go threw drywall? You mean that glorified paper that we build our homes with? OMFG we're doomed!!!!!!

Army
12-05-2007, 4:14 AM
Gun Control isn't about guns, it's about control.

LECTRIKHED
12-05-2007, 10:01 AM
It's the people. The rest of the country has these guns available to them and don't act like this. Clearly these California gun control laws don't work. They need to address the gang members. There needs to be much better diversion programs. Start shipping juvenile offenders to boarding schools accross the country. Then once they turn 18 have an infrastructure setup so they can transition into a job, college, or military. These problems can be solved. The lifer made a good point that the gun doesn't shoot itself. If you leave it alone it just sits there.

USN CHIEF
12-05-2007, 11:23 AM
What everyone here is forgetting about the media is.

"Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story".

milsurpshooter
12-05-2007, 2:03 PM
i have a tip on the " truckloads of guns from nevada" you guys where talking about. they are located in imgaination land where magical fariy's live. please do your research before you people say these things. because all you did was lose the respect of a lot of people just to look cute in front of the camera. i myself am strongly disapointed with you all. and futher more i thought police officers were to remain truthful and not spread lies. this what i sent them

DedEye
12-05-2007, 2:27 PM
i have a tip on the " truckloads of guns from nevada" you guys where talking about. they are located in imgaination land where magical fariy's live. please do your research before you people say these things. because all you did was lose the respect of a lot of people just to look cute in front of the camera. i myself am strongly disapointed with you all. and futher more i thought police officers were to remain truthful and not spread lies. this what i sent them

Hopefully you bothered to capitalize and proofread before sending off your message, lest you do further damage to the image of gun owners :rolleyes:.

m03
12-05-2007, 11:03 PM

Oh, and I wrote them an email calling BS on the whole thing. Suggested they find some sources who don't lie out their butts (and offered to take reporters shooting.)

Admitting that criminals killing other criminals is the reason for high murder rates doesn't help the media in their FUD campaign.

Fortunately, most of these traditional "news" outlets are doing worse and worse every year, since most of the public now has a choice as to where they get their information from. So count your lucky stars that only 20 or 30 people actually saw this bogus report.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military. " - William S. Burroughs

Pont
12-05-2007, 11:12 PM
The only half-way responsible part of that report was the convict at the end who took responsibility for his actions and explained it isnt guns that create the violence.

That could be a poison-pill too. It does 2 things

1) gives a plausible illusion of fairness to people who want to believe the story is accurate

2) sets the idea in the public's mind that the gun apologists and criminals are one and the same

The lifer is not a credible figure. Anything he says will be taken by society at large as the opposite of the truth.

schizrade2
12-06-2007, 9:21 AM
Sent to Mr. Smart Guy. CC'd to Nv Gov, Jim Gibbons. If nothing else I know he will get a good laugh out of this one.

Mr. Magnus,

Do you have any proof regarding your statement that YOUR gun problem is imported from Nevada? Are you lying to the citizens of Richmond or does your accusation have merit? Nevada is a small place Sir, and I seriously doubt that these guns are coming into California in any significant numbers. You may want to look south to Mexico, as most of the inmates I have dealt with tell me that is where they get them.

Your statements: http://www.nbc11.com/video/14774839/index.html

I await your response.

-Aaron Bateman

Response from Gibbons office:

Dear Mr. Bateman:
I have forwarded your e-mail to the Director of Nevada Public Safety,
Phil Galeoto. You should be hearing back from his office on this
matter.
Sincerely,
Tina Burke

jdberger
12-06-2007, 7:20 PM
Give 'em hell, schizrade2!

Let us know what comes of this.

Steyr_223
12-06-2007, 9:12 PM
Nice!! :)

mwarren2
12-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Here's a different take on the "gun problem" on the FOX News website:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315563,00.html (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315563,00.html)

Some "Fair and Balanced" reporting!

oaklander
12-06-2007, 10:18 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315563,00.html (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315563,00.html)

Nice, gotta love John Lott!

schizrade2
12-07-2007, 8:01 AM
Give 'em hell, schizrade2!

Let us know what comes of this.

I am talking to the NV DPS (Dept. of Public Safety) head in email right now. He is a little miffed that they would make these claims. :confused:

He is contacting the Regional ATF office in.... SF. :rolleyes:

We shall see.

elenius
12-07-2007, 8:21 AM
I am talking to the NV DPS (Dept. of Public Safety) head in email right now. He is a little miffed that they would make these claims. :confused:

He is contacting the Regional ATF office in.... SF. :rolleyes:

We shall see.

Nice!! Kudos for getting this ball rolling.

soopafly
12-07-2007, 9:31 AM

You know, the first thing I wondered when I heard this news was, "Did this happen in a 'gun free zone'?" Big surprise...it was.

westcoastr
12-07-2007, 10:21 AM
looks like California is going to have to declare war on Nevada over the "truckloads of guns pouring in" from there. since guns are practically outlawed in California we will have to resort to obscene gestures and foul language.... Its pretty clear who will win

schizrade2
12-07-2007, 10:23 AM
looks like California is going to have to declare war on Nevada over the "truckloads of guns pouring in" from there. since guns are practically outlawed in California we will have to resort to obscene gestures and foul language.... Its pretty clear who will win

Seriously.

Maybe someday Nevada will learn of these "truckloads" of guns, cause nobody up here knows about them. :TFH:

Lashlarue
12-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Well they are not coming in from Las Vegas, as everyone knows "What happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas"