PDA

View Full Version : Famous Gun Quotes **Please Add**

J_Rock
12-03-2007, 1:38 AM
Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.
-- Mahatma Gandhi, Gandhi, An Autobiography, page 446

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined, nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants. They serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1764

Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't.
-- Ben Franklin

False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature ... laws not preventive but fearful of crimes.
-- Beccaria

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.
-- The Dalai Lama

Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. ...A simple weapon -- so long as there is no answer to it -- gives claws to the weak.
-- George Orwell

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.
-- Thomas Jefferson

If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws.
-- Edward Abbey

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
-- George Washington

To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.
-- George Mason

War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
-- John Stuart Mill

wilit
12-03-2007, 2:26 AM
My two favorites are in my sig. I'm always amazed when people say, "The founding fathers never intended you to own a machine gun." Like hell they didn't. I've read accounts where Jefferson envisioned a revolution every 20-30 years to keep the government honest.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

"Americans need never fear their government because of the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation." - James Madison

hitman13
12-03-2007, 2:39 AM
You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

al capone

Glock22Fan
12-03-2007, 8:46 AM
There's a list of relevant quotes on our website at:
http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/cccw/cache/quotes.html

When I get more time, I'll add any extra ones I glean from this thread.

PanzerAce
12-03-2007, 9:22 AM
see my sig :)

xenophobe
12-03-2007, 9:32 AM
“You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?”

WolfMansDad
12-03-2007, 9:34 AM
"Good, bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

-Ash, "Army of Darkness (Evil Dead 3)"

MrTenX
12-03-2007, 10:56 AM
"If someone is so fearful that they are going to start using their weapons to protect their rights, it makes me very nervous that these people have weapons at all."
CA Rep. Henry Waxman

Gshock
12-03-2007, 11:26 AM
"... Mr. Clinton, sir, America didn't trust you with our health-care system. America didn't trust you with gays in the military. America doesn't trust you with our 21-year-old daughters, and we sure, Lord, don't trust you with our guns."

Charlton Heston

milsurpshooter
12-03-2007, 11:36 AM
"guns don't kill people, dangerous minorities do."
-the NRA guy on family guy ep //459/qrt45.

Librarian
12-03-2007, 11:59 AM
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an out-right ban, picking up every one of them... 'Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in,' I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here."
Diane Feinstein, CBS "60 Minutes" segment for Feb. 5, 1995

see also Concealed (http://concealed.wordpress.com/2007/11/23/famous-people-opposing-the-right-to-keep-and-bear-arms/)

NRAhighpowershooter
12-03-2007, 12:17 PM
TWO WEEKS!!!! :D :rolleyes:

xrMike
12-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Not famous, but funny:

"The reason I'm carrying that rifle in my trunk, officer, is because it's illegal to carry a pistol in my glove box."

(from bweise, I think)

AfricanHunter
12-03-2007, 1:37 PM
"I believe it's the shoulder thing that goes up."

Carolyn McCarthy when asked if she knew what a barrel shroud was.

AfricanHunter
12-03-2007, 1:45 PM
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

-Benjamin Franklin

"Hence it is that all armed prophets have conquered, and the unarmed ones have been destroyed."

The Prince by Nicolo Machiavelli

"For among other evils which being unarmed brings you, it causes you to be despised, and this is one of those ignominies against which a prince ought to guard himself, as is shown later on. Because there is nothing proportionate between the armed and the unarmed; and it is not reasonable that he who is armed should yield obedience willingly to him who is unarmed, or that the unarmed man should be secure among armed servants."

AfricanHunter
12-03-2007, 1:48 PM
"There never was a new prince who has disarmed his subjects; rather when he has found them disarmed he has always armed them, because, by arming them, those arms become yours, those men who were distrusted become faithful, and those who were faithful are kept so, and your subjects become your adherents...But when you disarm them, you at once offend them by showing that you distrust them, either for cowardice or for want of loyalty, and either of these opinions breeds hatred against you."

"Whereas by supposing they have given up themselves to the absolute arbitrary power and will of a legislator, they have disarmed themselves, and armed him to make a prey of them when he pleases..."

John Locke, A Essay Concerning the true original, extent, and end of Civil Government (1690), Book 2.

AfricanHunter
12-03-2007, 1:55 PM
"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms;"

Philadelphia Independent Gazetteer, August 20, 1789 quoting Propositions submitted to the Convention of this State by the Honorable Samuel Adams, Esquire.

"On every question of construction [of the Constitution] let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

Thomas Jefferson, letter to Justice William Johnson, June 12, 1823, The Complete Jefferson, p 322.

"The constitution, on this hypothesis, is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please. It should be remembered, as an axiom of eternal truth in politics, that whatever power in any government is independent, is absolute also; in theory only, at first, while the spirit of the people is up, but in practice, as fast as that relaxes. Independence can be trusted nowhere but with the people in mass. They are inherently independent of all but moral law."

Thomas Jefferson, letter to Judge Spencer Roane, September 6, 1819. "The Writings of Thomas Jefferson," edited by Andrew A. Lipscomb, vol. 15, p. 213 (1904).

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed;..."

Thomas Jefferson letter to Justice John Cartwright, June 5, 1824. 1824. ME 16:45.

"If in the opinion of the people the distribution or modification of the constitutional powers be in any particular wrong, let it be corrected by an amendment in the way which the Constitution designates, but let there be no change by usurpation; for though this in one instance may be the instrument of good, it is the customary weapon by which free governments are destroyed."

George Washington, Farewell Address, September 17, 1796.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms has been recognized by the General Government; but the best security of that right after all is, the military spirit, that taste for martial exercises, which has always distinguished the free citizens of these States Such men form the best barrier to the liberties of America."

Gazette of the United States, October 14, 1789

"The whole of the Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of."

Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789

"In England...A large proportion of the most valuable of the provisions in Magna Charta, and the bill of rights in 1688, consists of a solemn recognition, of limitations upon the power of parliament; that is, a declaration, that parliament ought not to abolish, or restrict those rights. Such are the right of trial by jury; the right to personal liberty and private property according to the law of the land; that the subjects ought to have a right to bear arms;..."

Joseph Story, Dane Professor of Law in Harvard University, Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States (1833), Book III at 718, 1858.

Ironchef
12-03-2007, 2:07 PM
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5173736885347353471&q=ezekiel+25%3A17&total=59&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=3)
-Ezekiel 25:17

ibanezfoo
12-03-2007, 2:45 PM
"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend - those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig." -Blondie

Bishop
12-03-2007, 3:53 PM
One sword often keeps another in the scabbard.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. William Pitt, 18 November 1783

An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it. Jeff Cooper, Lt. Col., USMC (Ret.)

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to
govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. Daniel Webster

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our
police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future. - ADOLF HITLER, Berlin Day speech, April 15, 1935

ecounter
12-03-2007, 4:21 PM
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car than I have with my gun.

Ford8N
12-03-2007, 4:51 PM
"It's really their killing potential," Alison Merrilees, legal counsel for the Firearms Division of the attorney general's office, said in explaining why assault weapons were banned. "The pistol grip allows them to be sprayed randomly. You can kill lots of people without having to reload."

:jump:

sierratangofoxtrotunion
12-03-2007, 5:11 PM
This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our
police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future. - ADOLF HITLER, Berlin Day speech, April 15, 1935

I've heard it said that this quote is false. Does anybody know about this?

Librarian
12-03-2007, 5:20 PM
I've heard it said that this quote is false. Does anybody know about this?
Guncite: The "Hitler" Quote That Wouldn't Die: "1935 Will Go Down In History!"

"This year* will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
---Falsely attributed to Adolf Hitler, "Abschied vom Hessenland!" ["Farewell to Hessia!"], ['Berlin Daily' (Loose English Translation)], April 15th, 1935, Page 3 Article 2, Einleitung Von Eberhard Beckmann [Introduction by Eberhard Beckmann].

This quotation, often seen without any date or citation at all, suffers from several credibility problems, the most significant of which is that the date given (*in alternate versions, the words "This year..." are replaced by "1935..." has no correlation with any legislative effort by the Nazis for gun registration, nor would there have been a need for the Nazis to pass such a law, since gun registration laws passed by the Weimar government were already in effect. The Nazi Weapons Law (or Waffengesetz) which further restricted the possession of militarily useful weapons and forbade trade in weapons without a government-issued license was passed on March 18, 1938.

The citation usually given for this quote is a jumbled mess, and has only three major clues from which to work. The first is the date, which does not correspond (even approximately) to a date on which Hitler made a public speech, and a check of the texts of Hitler's speeches does not reveal a quotation resembling this (which is easily understandable when you realize that "Hitler" is commenting on a non-existent law). The second clue is the newspaper reference, which if translated into German resembles the title of a newspaper called Berliner Tageblatt, and a check of the issue for that date reveals that the page and column references given are to the arts and culture page! No Hitler speech appears in the pages of Berliner Tageblatt on that date, or dates close to it, because there was no such speech to report.

Finally, the citation includes a proper name "Eberhard Beckmann," which is sometimes cited as "by Einleitung Von Eberhard Beckmann," which is an important clue itself, because it reveals that the citation was fabricated by someone who had so little knowledge of the German language that they were unaware that "Einleitung" isn't the fellow's first name! The only "Eberhard Beckmann" which has been uncovered thus far did indeed write introductions, but he was a journalist for a German broadcasting company after WWII, and he wrote several introductions to photography books, one of which was photos of the German state of Hesse (or Hessia), which may be the source of the curious phrase "Abschied vom Hessenland!" which appears in the citation. This quotation, however effective it may be as propaganda, is a fraud.

pnkssbtz
12-03-2007, 5:40 PM
This is the quote I give when people ask me why I question, when people ask me why I protest and when people ask me why I think my opinion matters:

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Katana
12-03-2007, 7:48 PM
"Put your trust in God, and keep your powder dry." Oliver Cromwell

12-03-2007, 8:36 PM
Some of these I like and the others just really piss me off.

"If I had my way, sporting guns would be strictly regulated, the rest would be confiscated ", Nancy Pelosi,

"The only way to make America safe: go house to house and confiscate every gun ", Sylvester Stallone

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government " Thomas Jefferson

"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans to legitimately own handguns and rifles...that we are unable to think about reality ", Bill Clinton

Response to a Cuban citizens who said the people might need to keep their guns, after Castro announced strict gun control in Cuba. "Armas para que?" ("Guns, for what?"), Fidel Castro

"There is no reason for anyone in this country, anyone except a police officer or military person to buy, to own, to have, to use a handgun ", Michael Gartner, (President NBC News)

"This is the AK-47 assault rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy. It makes a distinctive sound when fired at you. So remember it. ", Clint Eastwood as Gunnery Sgt. Tom 'Gunny' Highway

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity ", Sigmund Freud

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.", Shane

"Gun registration is not enough", Janet Reno

tiki
12-03-2007, 9:26 PM
"DOJ does not consider a magazine attached to a receiver by a screw, requiring a screwdriver for removal, to be a detachable magazine."

-Ignatius Chinn, CA. DOJ. 12/1/2006

chiefcrash
12-03-2007, 9:27 PM
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.
There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
(Japanese Navy)

taloft
12-03-2007, 9:43 PM
Here are some of my favorites. I have many more but, V. bulletin started having fits. Something about 10,000 words or less.:p:D

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
-- From the Declaration of the Continental Congress (July 1775)

"The Constitution of the United States shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
-- Samuel Adams

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
-- Thomas Jefferson, "Commonplace Book" (1774-1776), quoting from "On Crimes and Punishment," by criminologist Cesare Beccaria (1764)

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
--Thomas Jefferson, Draft Virginia Constitution (1776)

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."
-- Patrick Henry, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
--James Madison, The Federalist Papers No. 46

"In England, the bills of rights were not demanded merely of the Crown, as withdrawing a power from the royal prerogative; they were equally important, as withdrawing power from parliament. A large proportion of the most valuable of the provisions in Magna Charta, and the bill of rights in 1688, consists of a solemn recognition, of limitations upon the power of parliament; that is, a declaration, that parliament ought not to abolish, or restrict those rights. Such are the right of trial by jury; the right to personal liberty and private property according to the. law of the land; that the subjects ought to have a right to bear arms..."
-- Joseph Story, Dane Professor of Law in Harvard University, Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States (1833), Book III at 718, 1858

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American...[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
-- Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette (February 20, 1788)

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. — Daniel Webster

“Anyone who clings to the historically untrue - and thoroughly immoral doctrine that 'violence never settles anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.”
-Robert A. Heinlein

"But to be in conflict with the Constitution, it is not essential that the act should contain a prohibition against bearing arms in every possible form; it is the right to bear arms in defense of the citizens and the state, that is secured by the constitution, and whatever restrains the full and complete exercise of that right, though no an entire destruction of it, is forbidden by the explicit language of the constitution."
- Kentucky Supreme Court, 1822

... to prohibit a citizen from wearing or carrying a war arm ... is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.
- WILSON V. STATE, 33 Ark. 557 (1878)

" ‘The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, and not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree; and all this for the important end to be attained: the rearing up and qualifying a well-regulated militia, so vitally necessary to the security of a free State. Our opinion is that any law, State or Federal, is repugnant to the Constitution, and void, which contravenes this right."
- Nunn vs. State, (1846)

"A free people ought to be armed."
- George Washington, speech of January 7, 1790, published in the Boston Independent Chronicle, January 14, 1790

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good."
- George Washington

"Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1785

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
- Alexander Hamilton

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."
- Thomas Paine

"...and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
-- Jesus Christ, Luke 22:36 NKJV

Annie Oakley
12-03-2007, 11:10 PM
John F. Kennedy: "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

John F. Kennedy: "By calling attention to 'a well regulated militia,' 'the security of the nation,' and the right of each citizen 'to keep and bear arms,' our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy... The Second Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason I believe the Second Amendment will always be important." John F. Kennedy, Junior Senator of MA in a 1959 letter to E.B. Mann [From the 1974 Gun Digest, article titled Gun Laws]

http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/Gun_Quotes.htm