PDA

View Full Version : Will someone in SD help me with a barrel pin?

swift
12-02-2007, 4:01 PM
OK, I soaked the front trunion and barrel in WD40 for 2 days and I still can't get the pin out. Is there someone in San Diego who's willing to give me hand? I'll glady pay you for your time (a couple of six packs if you're over 21) or $.

Thanks.

mike100
12-02-2007, 4:16 PM
what kind of gun is this?

a little heat always works.

JMC760
12-02-2007, 4:16 PM
PM sent

swift
12-02-2007, 6:36 PM
replied to JMC760

Thanks, it looks like he'll give me a hand.

savageevo
12-03-2007, 12:30 AM
pm grammatron, he lives in san diego,

swift
12-03-2007, 5:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I didn't want to put grammaton on the spot. I thought he wrote in a post a few months back that he was getting tired of working on other people's kits.

Utha Schleigle
12-03-2007, 8:47 AM
I had a losing battle pin a ROMY G barrel pin - 1982 vintage - nothing worked.

Soak in Gunk penitrating oil - comes in litlle bottle and fells like gray water.

Buy air hammer with an extra set of bits. Most important and the long pointy bits. Cut one of the non pointy bits off at or around size of pin - this bit gets it moving. Cut one of the pointy bits off enough - but not too much to move the pin half way through the hole. By this time a punch and a large ball pin hammer worked the rest of the way. But I bought a longer bit to pusk all the way through.

As you hammer or air hammer don't do what I did, which was to keep going when you got to the edge of the trunion and flare it out. Change bits dont change trunion metal - you can al-ways replace or make new pin.

Hopefully you have a large vise and may be a air compressor. Pep Boys has a very small compressor the size of a coffee maker that a I used for this job and is convenient for small airbrush jobs.

Get 1x3x24 inch red oak or hard wood board from store or scraps from oak pallet and drill holes to match rivits in sides of demilled receiver and place in vise so you can access pin near edge of board or cut access notches. Cut in 6 inch lengths to match vise jaws.

It is the sonic shock that frees the pin. Small light abrutt hammer blows from med - large ball pin hammer or better than high horse power larger 3lbs hammer blows. When useing a 20 ton press - builders get pin under tension and then hit the press plates with a large ball pine hammer - with each shock wave the pin moves. This is why I could not move the pin with regular punches - $14.oo USD air hammer gives you plenty of shock waves.

ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION and make sure that obsersors are out harms way. Even by hand using punches and hammers envovles risk.

The pin comes out so easily that you will wonder why tryied the punch only method.

savageevo
12-04-2007, 10:57 PM
As long as he gets a donation for his time I think he would'nt mind. Just pm him and ask. wont hurt to ask.

swift
12-08-2007, 8:56 PM
Apparently I can't leave feedback when nothing was bought or sold. I just wanted you all to know what a great guy JMC760 is! We probably spent 10 minutes to solve my problem and then spent another hour chatting about firearms. He gave me a lot of good advice for my project.

JMC760
12-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Thank you for the kind words. The knowledge that I have gained from other members of this board has been invaluable. Helping fellow Calgun members is my way of showing my gratitude.