PDA

View Full Version : Red dot or not

thefurball
12-02-2007, 1:32 PM
I need some opinions on scopes please.

I am looking for something of decent quality to put on my M1A. I have a few scopes ranging from cheap to ouch$$$. My issue is with the eye relief.

The higher magnification scopes (16X+) have a very small 'sweet spot' that gives me a descent sight picture. As a result I like the idea of the red dot scopes, but have the feeling that they are better for 'up close and personal' work as opposed to 'reach out and touch someone' work.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks.

tatsuosan1964
12-02-2007, 2:42 PM
Red dots like the Aimpoint that I use on my AR are designed for 300 yards/meters and under. They offer no magnification. There are scopes like the Trijicon ACOG that are magnified and have bullet drop compensation which are designed to shoot further.

I had an IOR Super M2 for my M1A but the eye relief did not work for me. They are not very expensive. I sold it to bwiese several years ago and he did not have any issues with the eye relief for his M1A that I had. He may have been using a different mounting adapter or just dealt with it better than I did.

FreedomIsNotFree
12-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Hows your vision?

If anything like mine, those distance shots, without some magnification would be nearly impossible.

uscbigdawg
12-03-2007, 12:31 AM
If your base for mounting a scope on your M1A has a standard rail, then get a Larue SPR-E mount that mounts the scopes more forward and makes up that eye relief issue.

Rich

USN CHIEF
12-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Which M1A do you have? I have the SOCOM 2 and I bought an Aimpoint COMPM3 4MOA for it and it works good on large targets up to 200yds, (Shooting from the bench w/sand bags)..

Bladewurk
12-03-2007, 11:57 AM
ACOG TA11 calibrated for 7.62 nato would be my choice but $1100 ish..or Meopta K Dot at $700ish ...both good for short range and all the way out to 800 meters since this is .308 MBR