PDA

View Full Version : How do you zero in your optics on shotguns?

Roo
12-02-2007, 1:22 PM
I was going to mount my EOTech on my Mossberg but then I started thinking how I would zero it. Any suggestions?

Fjold
12-02-2007, 3:09 PM
After you get your sight mounted. Pick the shot size or slugs that you want to sight in for and then set up a target frame at 10 yards and aim directly for the middle of the paper. Depending upon your choke you should get a 5" up to 10" ragged hole in the paper with shot also dependant upon what size shot you use.

Use the center of that hole as your point of impact (POI) and see how far it is from the point of aim (POA). Move the adjustments on your red dot to bring the POI to the POA. If the center of your pattern is 6" low and 3" right adjust your scope up 6" and left 3".

Then get a large sheet of paper (48"x48") and place it at the final distance that you want to shoot at (20-40 yards). Draw a big X corner to corner of the page and aim for the intersection of the lines. Count every shot hole in each quadrant of the X on the paper (Use a magic marker and mark the holes as you count them to keep from counting holes twice). Ideally all four sections of the X will have an equal number of holes in it so you won't have to adjust it again but usually it will require an adjustment up for the longer range.

Slugs are easier because you can see that POI easier.

Remember that everytime you change anything with your load (brand, shot size, slug make, etc) it will change the point of impact.

uscbigdawg
12-02-2007, 5:38 PM
Just a note too. If you have an extended tube with a clamp on the barrel, if you crank it down, it'll change the barrel position. Also, slug zeroes will often change with different chokes as well as the amount of torque on the choke.

EOTech's a little high for a shotgun (sight over bore height). Look at a JPoint or Docter sight as a better option. Sight's closer to the bore and you can still use the bead(s) if you want.

Rich

Roo
12-02-2007, 8:30 PM
Thanks for the help! I was looking at one of these:
http://www.shootforless.com/images/customer_inspin_images_items_BUR300230_l.jpg

But I was not sure if it would stand up to the recoil of a shotgun.

guimus
12-02-2007, 9:52 PM
Those should handle shotgun recoil no problem. They are designed to be slide-mounted on semi-auto handguns.