PDA

View Full Version : Gift Cards For Guns! San Francisco dump your junk gun!

KenpoProfessor
12-01-2007, 4:32 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/01/BAGB6TML7O.DTL

Is a lower considered operable?:D

I hope you guys got your Jennings and Brycos out for this :cool:

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

sloguy
12-01-2007, 6:09 AM
gun buybacks make me freakin sick. so do people who support them. you really want to give the antis better stats? help the antis have a sucessful anti gun event? good way to betray those who are working hard to preserve our rights.

tankerman
12-01-2007, 6:59 AM
Go scope out the event and make offers to folks that don't know what they are getting rid of. 1 big sidewalk sale

M. Sage
12-01-2007, 8:17 AM
gun buybacks make me freakin sick. so do people who support them. you really want to give the antis better stats? help the antis have a sucessful anti gun event? good way to betray those who are working hard to preserve our rights.

Heh, someone here posted an article from a gun club in Illinois. They rounded up a bunch of junker guns that were unsafe and turned them in at buybacks. Then they used the money to buy new .22s for youth programs.

I don't see anything wrong with turning in an unsafe junker that cost you less than half of the cash they're going to give you for it... or even several. It bleeds their funding for zero effect. And it's a gun that you'd want to destroy anyway.

Stats, schmats - this is about as close as it gets without actually stealing money from their pockets without breaking the law.

thedrickel
12-01-2007, 9:40 AM
I knew I should have ordered five mosins for 225 from century :(

RAD-CDPII
12-01-2007, 9:41 AM
I wonder if they will give me $150 for a 30 year old CO2 pistol that won't hold gas any more??

hitman13
12-01-2007, 10:22 AM
I knew I should have ordered five mosins for 225 from century :(

hahaha my buddy did that. they were giving out 150 for each rifle!

robitrocks
12-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Go scope out the event and make offers to folks that don't know what they are getting rid of. 1 big sidewalk sale

Now there's and idea. It'll be like an auction between pro and anti. Going once, going twice.. SOLD!

Hey where did this come from? :TFH: Sweet!

RAD-CDPII
12-01-2007, 10:42 AM

Probably nothing but crap POS guns will be going there for the $150, or the ones that may have been used in a crime and they want to dispose of the evidence, they did say no questions asked. Not sure I would want to try and transfer any of those. Just my opinion though.

tankerman
12-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Probably nothing but crap POS guns will be going there for the $150, or the ones that may have been used in a crime and they want to dispose of the evidence, they did say no questions asked. Not sure I would want to try and transfer any of those. Just my opinion though.
I know someone that did this in Vegas. There were plenty of little old ladies that were turning in their dead husband's WWII bring backs, Colt SAA etc...

Bobula
12-01-2007, 11:33 AM
whoah! the7y're asking people to bring the gun and ammo is seperate clear palstic bags, in a duffle bag in the trunk!
Does this mean 2 ziplock bags are seperate locking containers?
:jump:

DedEye
12-01-2007, 11:34 AM
I'd love to get a bunch of cheap junkers and turn them in for a nice profit, or intercept those old ladies giving away their husbands' bring backs to give them a fair price for them.

Fjold
12-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Go to Big 5 and buy ten $84 M91's DROS them all at one time so you'd be in for $865.

Turn them in for $100 each and walk away with a $135 profit.

RRALAR15
12-01-2007, 3:31 PM
Sac PD did this a few years back and some old lady turned in a really nice antique revolver worth some cash... can't remember the type... anyways one of the officers knew what it was and tried to tell her it was worth alot of money and recomended a gun store down the street that would be interested... she said no and it got exchanged... by the time they went back to inventory the guns it was no where to be found... but they were right on the money for the # of guns turned in and the # of "rewards" handed out ;) (I think it was kings tickets)... If I remember right the bee did a story about it but it died quickly... anyone remember this?

Steyr_223
12-01-2007, 4:08 PM
Event sponsored by the S.F. mayor's office allows people to turn in firearms!

SAN FRANCISCO
'Gifts for Guns' trade today in Civic Center

Cecilia M. Vega

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Authorities will hand out $100 to $200 gift cards in exchange for unwanted firearms - no questions asked - Saturday at San Francisco's Civic Center Plaza.

The "Gifts for Guns" event is sponsored by the mayor's office, the Juvenile Probation Department and a number of community groups. It runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

A similar event in July netted 117 handguns and 2 shotguns.

No photo identification is required to participate. The firearms must be unloaded, operable and delivered in a clear, plastic bag that is put into another container, such as a duffel bag. Ammunition should be delivered in a plastic bag separate from the firearm. People driving to the event should transport their firearms in the trunk.

Anyone dropping off a rifle or shotgun will receive a $100 gift card. Revolvers or semiautomatic weapons will be exchanged for $150 gift cards and assault-type firearms will get $200 gift cards.

Steyr_223
12-01-2007, 4:09 PM
:(

Mikail Ali, acting director of the mayor's office of criminal justice, inspects an AK-47 assault rifle and 30-round magazine turned in by a resident in exchange for gift cards at the Gifts for Guns program at Civic Center Plaza in San Francisco on Saturday. Chronicle photo by Paul Chinn

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/12/02/ba_sfguns02080pc.jpg

A police officer inspects a weapon turned in at the Gifts for Guns exchange program at Civic Center Plaza in San Francisco on Saturday. Chronicle photo by Paul Chinn

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/12/02/ba_sfguns02128pc.jpg

A police officer checks the serial number of a handgun turned in by a resident in exchange for gift cards at the Gifts for Guns program at Civic Center Plaza in San Francisco on Saturday. It was the second exchange program this year sponsored by the mayor's office of criminal justice. Chronicle photo by Paul Chinn

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/12/02/ba_sfguns02056pc.jpg

Merlin Willis (left) received two gift cards after he turned in a small-caliber handgun at the Gifts for Guns program at Civic Center Plaza in San Francisco on Saturday. Chronicle photo by Paul Chinn

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/12/02/ba_sfguns02063pc.jpg

From left: Police Officers Kevin Labanowski, Noah Mallinger and Daniel Manning take possession of firearms turned in by residents at the Gifts for Guns program at Civic Center Plaza in San Francisco on Saturday. Chronicle photo by Paul Chin

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/12/02/ba_sfguns02110pc.jpg

PolishMike
12-01-2007, 4:14 PM
Police in Orlando, Florida, got a bit more than they bargained for. It was a gun buyback program. You turn in your guns, you get a nice pair of sneakers.

Well, one guy turned in a surface-to-air missile launcher. The programmed promised free sneakers to anyone turning in a gun. I guess they should have extended that to weapons in general. And also, promised no questioned asked. So, the man with the launcher was not identified, but he did get a size 3 Reeboks for his daughter.

Haha

Blue
12-01-2007, 4:19 PM
How exactly do these work? I highlyl doubt that criminals turned in any guns. It looks to me like all that stuff that got turned in was from people that just didn't feel the need to have it anymore. I bet that AK never got reg'd and the dude didn't want to hide from it anymore. Kind of sad that the PD even had their van decked out in anti gun stickers too. All that crap costs money.

thedrickel
12-01-2007, 5:28 PM
I dropped off an old POS shotgun for $100 today. Guy that was there when I pulled up gave away . . . a 1903 and 1917 Eddystone in very good + condition. I almost threw up.

DedEye
12-01-2007, 5:38 PM
I dropped off an old POS shotgun for $100 today. Guy that was there when I pulled up gave away . . . a 1903 and 1917 Eddystone in very good + condition. I almost threw up.

Did you at least try and buy them off him first?

KenpoProfessor
12-01-2007, 5:50 PM
So I gotta ask, when did LEO's have FFL authority for guns?

Clyde

thedrickel
12-01-2007, 5:52 PM
Did you at least try and buy them off him first?

The cops had them already and wouldn't sell them to me of course. Nor would they give me the discarded rifle soft cases. :banghead:

They were logging the guns into a book. Couldn't figure out what caliber half the stuff was.

Hunter
12-01-2007, 6:05 PM
Just saw the 6pm news reel on this story and one of the guns shown was a good looking US 1903 30-06 rifle being turned in for scrap:(

AJAX22
12-01-2007, 6:46 PM
If ANY of you guys are thinking of turning in a gun to one of these things.

PLEASE PM me or post in a thread exactly what you have that you're looking to turn in.

Someone might want it who will keep it for its intended use

dfletcher
12-01-2007, 6:51 PM
Sorry, I missed this one. Just returned from the Reno show with ammo, a 1917 Enfield and a nice Walther. Glad to have put the C & R to good use.

cal
12-01-2007, 7:03 PM
The only thing I could get out of this would be having my father turn in his lower of his reg colt sporter which he wants to transfer to me, but from what I have heard we can't do that. After turning in the lower for $200 gift card, I could have easily traded the card for funds to obtain an OLL replacement. Oh well. It's too late now. Do you think this would fly, since the law treats the lower itself as a firearm?

DB2
12-01-2007, 8:12 PM
The only thing I could get out of this would be having my father turn in his lower of his reg colt sporter which he wants to transfer to me, but from what I have heard we can't do that. After turning in the lower for $200 gift card, I could have easily traded the card for funds to obtain an OLL replacement. Oh well. It's too late now. Do you think this would fly, since the law treats the lower itself as a firearm?

Dude don't due that. If he wants to get rid of it, strip it down and have him sell it out of state. Don't turn in a perfectly good pony receiver to something like this. People do pay money for Colt receivers, because they are Colt.

StraightShooter
12-02-2007, 1:10 AM

Clyde

I love my jennings .22 handgun. Its fun to see if you can get through a whole ten round magazine without a jam. :D

The SoCal Gunner
12-02-2007, 2:39 AM
Ok, do the cops even run the serial #s to see if they are stolen or just destroy them? Do they even try to return them to their owners if they are stolen?

Crazed_SS
12-02-2007, 3:18 AM
Ok, do the cops even run the serial #s to see if they are stolen or just destroy them? Do they even try to return them to their owners if they are stolen?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,314531,00.html

Once in police custody the guns are checked with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to see if they were stolen. Ali said 99 percent of the guns recovered are destroyed and, if the guns were stolen, they are returned to their owners if possible.

jumbopanda
12-02-2007, 3:45 AM
I wouldn't even support something so asinine. "Buybacks" are a complete waste of taxpayer money and an opportunity for trash politicians and anti-gun people to pretend as if they were actually accomplishing something. Shame on those people who think about buying a bunch of perfectly good Mosin Nagants and turning them into scrap metal for a small profit.

Army
12-02-2007, 4:16 AM
Just remember, it's YOUR money they are giving you for YOUR gun.

Win-win for the city accountants.

Ford8N
12-02-2007, 5:35 AM
If the dumb @** who turned in the Norinco AK could have either demilled or cut up the receiver. They would get significantly more money for the parts than a $200 gift card. If anyone is going to do that, give me a pm. I'll get ya a $200 gift card to The Gap.:rolleyes:

LECTRIKHED
12-02-2007, 8:24 AM
There was a mosin in there. I wonder which gunner turned that in.

dadoody
12-02-2007, 8:38 AM

Clyde

How about fake guns that look like real guns? Do they check right away?

tyrist
12-02-2007, 2:11 PM
This is just a show for politicians nothing more and highly ineffective.

Also most guns used by crimminals do not look nearly as nice as the ones collected.

Most crimminals use the crappiest guns you could imagine. Missing grips, rusted out, cracked, etc and sometimes even loaded with the wrong ammunition.

m03
12-02-2007, 2:19 PM
If the dumb @** who turned in the Norinco AK could have either demilled or cut up the receiver. They would get significantly more money for the parts than a $200 gift card. If anyone is going to do that, give me a pm. I'll get ya a $200 gift card to The Gap.:rolleyes:

It's likely that it was either:

A) Stolen.

B) It's a "for the media" rifle possessed by the PD that gets hauled out and paraded around at every "buyback" event as though it was just turned in.

Does anyone else fell that "buyback" is an offensive term? As though the Gov. sold them to us or something.

dwtt
12-02-2007, 7:22 PM
I wish they would let us know about these things ahead of time. I missed it, and could use a $100 gift card for an old pistol that I don't want.

Salty
12-02-2007, 7:44 PM

+1

I'd like to add that I think gun buy backs are a way to entice the poor into disarming them selves.

doctor_vals
12-02-2007, 8:08 PM

OK. I'll get ya $300 gift card or cards to any store of your choice :D

anotherone
12-02-2007, 8:15 PM
If they REALLY wanted to make this effective they would give out cash. Many, if not most of the people who have illegal guns are dope fiends and need cash for dope not gifts. Sad... but true.

Shotgun Man
12-02-2007, 8:50 PM
whoah! the7y're asking people to bring the gun and ammo is seperate clear palstic bags, in a duffle bag in the trunk!

Good point. By putting the gun in duffle bag and carrying it, is that Carrying a Concealed Weapon?

artherd
12-03-2007, 1:58 AM
No, it means that 'separate locking containers' are not legally required, nor have they ever been.