PDA

View Full Version : Bill Richardson talks guns and hunting in Iowa

Steyr_223
11-30-2007, 8:51 PM
Audio report:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16763724

November 30, 2007 Democratic presidential candidate Bill Richardson is pinning his hopes on a strong showing in Iowa by visiting each of its 99 counties and homing in on the state's many rural voters. He talks up hunting and alternative energy while promising to have troops out of Iraq within a year.

The governor of New Mexico is also touting his other experience: as secretary of Energy, member of Congress, U.S. envoy to the United Nations, and international troubleshooter

Steyr_223
11-30-2007, 8:57 PM
" Nice to see you guys, I am Bill Richardson and I am running for President. And one thing I want to say to you..I am the only one endorsed by the NRA. Does that help me?"

Yes it does..

CalNRA
11-30-2007, 10:17 PM
" Nice to see you guys, I am Bill Richardson and I am running for President. And one thing I want to say to you..I am the only one endorsed by the NRA. Does that help me?"

Yes it does..

not if you want to win the Democratic nomination.

bwiese
11-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Please ask him if he will nominate originalist construction folks to the Supremes when new slots open.

It's great if he's pro-gun in the little ways. The court fights are the Big Way.

For gunrights, this upcoming election is all about getting originalists on the Supremes and avoiding the 'living document' idiots.

LAK Supply
11-30-2007, 10:34 PM
That guy is just another clown.

Soldier415
11-30-2007, 11:05 PM
If i had to vote for a Dem (which would only happen if gun was to my head) Richardson is the only one that i could MAYBE stomach...and only because my 2A rights would be in better hands than Hellary or Osama

DedEye
12-01-2007, 12:02 AM
If i had to vote for a Dem (which would only happen if gun was to my head) Richardson is the only one that i could MAYBE stomach...and only because my 2A rights would be in better hands than Hellary or Osama

Come on though, Richardson vs. Guiliani? No contest.

bwiese
12-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Come on though, Richardson vs. Guiliani? No contest.

Too bad you feel that way. Winning the battle but losing the war.

Because Richardson would likely nominate 'living document' folks to the Supremes.

It's pretty clear -regardless of Giuliani's NY gun shenanigans - that he'd be nominating some strict constructionists.

Given that our pro-gun mix in House/senate at US level is pretty good, the president is somewhat irrelevant - except for Supreme Ct nominations.

DedEye
12-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Too bad you feel that way. Winning the battle but losing the war.

Because Richardson would likely nominate 'living document' folks to the Supremes.

It's pretty clear -regardless of Giuliani's NY gun shenanigans - that he'd be nominating some strict constructionists.

Given that our pro-gun mix in House/senate at US level is pretty good, the president is somewhat irrelevant - except for Supreme Ct nominations.

I'm not so convinced that Guiliani would nominate the candidates you expect him to nominate.

J_Rock
12-01-2007, 2:52 AM
The NRA ditched him for Ron Paul...

subdjoe
12-01-2007, 6:50 AM
Guiliani strikes me as a RINO, or maybe a CINO - conservative in name only. I get the feeling that just under the skin there is a progressive waiting to jump out.

troyus
12-01-2007, 8:03 AM
Guiliani strikes me as a RINO, or maybe a CINO - conservative in name only. I get the feeling that just under the skin there is a progressive waiting to jump out.

I don't see much difference in Guiliani and Clinton pretty much at all, call them what you want. Both will do and say whatever it takes to get elected, and both appear to have lousy #1 reasons for wanting to be president - more power and fame for themselves.

I would also go as far as to say that IF make it to the primaries, then Ron Paul would have a real chance at something, because the alternatives are very similar.

Steyr_223
12-01-2007, 8:35 AM
We need to support the Dems that support us! Instead of always voting for a GOP, like Rudy or Romney...

It's like blacks always voting for Dems, even if their known racists like Sen. Byrd.

We need to bring the Demos back to the center, we should support 2nd Amd Dems like Richardson. This will serve our purposes better then blindly supporting the GOP even if they go against our interests..

The NRA supports him.

http://www.ccrkba.org/pub/rkba/press-releases/CC-New_Mexico_reform.html

CCRKBA LAUDS N.M. GOV. BILL RICHARDSON FOR SIGNING CCW REFORM LEGISLATION.

For Immediate Release: April 7, 2005

The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA) today applauded New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson for signing legislation that expands his state's concealed carry law, allowing more citizens to legally arm themselves for personal protection.

"Not only did Gov. Richardson's signature extend the valid term of a concealed pistol license to four years," said CCRKBA Executive Director Joe Waldron, "but he also lowered the minimum age for obtaining a license to 21 years, and in the process, he recognized the new law as a crime-reduction measure.

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2006/oct/03/gun-friendly-guv-gains-nra-approval/

NRA endorses gun-toting governor

By Michael Gisick (Contact)
Originally published 08:22 a.m., October 3, 2006

The National Rifle Association official wasn't sure he correctly heard the reporter's question over the clatter of gunshots from the firing line.

"You said the NRA is a traditionally left-wing organization?" Dwight Van Horn said, incredulously repeating the question.

The gun rights group - traditionally not a left-wing organization, to answer the question - lent its endorsement Monday to Gov. Bill Richardson, a Democrat.

MedSpec65
12-01-2007, 9:38 AM
Richardson is an oily, pandering, self-absorbed empty suit that has none of the leadership qualities that this Country desperately needs right now. All of his Spanish speaking, gun-friendly positions have been carefully crafted through the years to keep him at the forefront of New Mexico politics. I can't see why he has any National appeal other than his close ties to the Clinton-Democrat machine. Nice hair?

Rob P.
12-01-2007, 1:12 PM
Richardson is an oily, pandering, self-absorbed empty suit that has none of the leadership qualities that this Country desperately needs right now. All of his Spanish speaking, gun-friendly positions have been carefully crafted through the years to keep him at the forefront of New Mexico politics. I can't see why he has any National appeal other than his close ties to the Clinton-Democrat machine. Nice hair?

Richardson was envoy to the UN for us. He has done a lot of international political problem solving for us. He was elected governor of NM when that state was in a fiscal crisis worse than California's current money problems and turned it around so fast that no one realized it. He lowered taxes (both sales and personal income tax) put more people to work, cut off the dead wood and leaches, and reformed the political system in that state. NM has become very prosperous under his governorship.

He actually DID this instead of "having a plan" to do it and curtailing freedoms and rights in the name of "safety".

He is pro gun and pro second amendment. His ideals FIT with those of us who believe in the constitution and smaller gov. He is active in the things he believes in instead of just talking the talk.

I do not understand those who say "he will nominate 'living document' justices to SCOTUS." His proven accomplishments are opposite to that and he has not changed his positions or his direction. He is not a "flip-flopper" like most of the others in the race. He has done the things we expect of someone who believes as we believe and there are no indications that he will nominate justices who would be contrary to what he/we believe regarding the Constitution.

I also like the fact that he's a uniter instead of a divider. I'm tired of partisan politics where nothing gets done except the bad things we don't need (like AWB's and gov health care).

I think that the gripes are because he's a Dem and not because there is anything specific to complain about regarding him as president. He'd sure make a better one that ANY of the front runners. Perhaps those who complain should look at his record instead of scowling and voting RINO because that's the party ticket.

aileron
12-01-2007, 2:14 PM
For gunrights, this upcoming election is all about getting originalists on the Supremes and avoiding the 'living document' idiots.

Here here.

JohnJW
12-02-2007, 11:02 AM

I haven't heard or read anything so far to support your theory. He has the international experience, the executive experience and it takes guts to be a pro gun democrat. We really need to look past the party line. I hated Bill Clinton, but that was before GW Bush. Now I look back and I think to myself. . . Clinton wasn't that bad. . . and I'm a registered Republican and NRA for life.

As gun owner, I think we are all going to get screwed by extremist on both sides. Politicians that opposes all gun controls are no better than politicians that wants to ban "assault" weapons. C'mon guys, where do you think all the illegal guns are coming from? As much as I love just handing someone a check and taking my gun home the same day, like when I was in a out of state college, those rights I enjoyed out of state are also negatively impacting my rights here in CA. The unfortunate truth is that we gun owners can't police ourselves.

What can you do with your MP5 when the rest of the world put up a fence to box us in, women who wants abortions are confined, gay and lesbians or people who the church considers to be abnormal are being re-educated, science is non existent and as a result we can't compete globally or manufacture anything, depending mostly on imports. God is everywhere and if we're lucky maybe some mineral of value will be found and that's sustain our national economy. The bottom line is, politicians who places too much emphasis on God and guns tends to scare me.

Steyr_223
12-02-2007, 9:28 PM
http://www.a2dems.net/whoweare.htm

Who We Are

Who are the Amendment II Democrats, and what exactly are you trying to do?

Amendment II Democrats is currently a loose on-line confederation of progressive and moderate Democrats and like-minded individuals who are dedicated to fighting for a free and armed America where people are safe in their homes and communities and the Constitutional rights of all Americans are respected. We believe in the power and effectiveness of grassroots activism and participation in the democratic process.

Why on earth would you, as Democrats, oppose gun control? Don't you want safer streets and safer communities?

Of course we want safer streets and communities - safe not only from armed robbers, murderers, rapists, and gangsters, but also safe from those in our government who abuse the public trust instead of serving it. We stand in solidarity with Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI), who declared that the purposes of the Second Amendment "include self-defense, hunting, sport, and some certainly would say, as would I, the protection of individual rights against a potentially despotic central government."

No rational society founded upon democratic principles, however, can function without some measure of firearms legislation. To remove all gun legislation from the books is to invite anarchy. What we want, as Amendment II Democrats, is a paradigm of gun legislation that promotes the general welfare while, at the same time, securing the blessings of our liberty to ourselves and our posterity. We are convinced that our right to keep and bear arms is as important to our freedom as freedom of the press, the right to trial by jury, freedom of speech, the right to privacy, and freedom of religion.

Do you actively oppose Democrats who support "sensible" gun measures if they run for public office?

We are Democrats, and as such we will support our party's nominees for local, state, and federal office to the best of our ability and as our conscience dictates; we will never ask anyone to vote against their principles. During the primaries, however, if any Democratic candidate supports gun control measures that Amendment II Democrats oppose (such as reauthorizing the national ban on semi-automatics), that primary candidate is fair game, and we will encourage voters to support Democratic candidates who are in greater harmony with our perspective on the Second Amendment rights shared by all Americans. But once the primaries are over and the candidates for the general election have been chosen, it is important that all Amendment II Democrats pull together and support our party's pro-RKBA candidates as best as we are able. Under no circumstances will Amendment II Democrats support anti-RKBA Democrats, but neither shall we support Republican candidates who run against anti-RKBA Democrats. We are, after all, Democrats.

Aren't you a front group for the NRA?

The fact that our name is missing from the NRA Blacklist is not enough justification to label Amendment II Democrats as a satellite of the NRA. Some of us are indeed NRA members, but we receive no financial backing or logistic support from the NRA or any other association of gun owners other than an exchange of website links.

Do you have to own a gun to be an Amendment II Democrat?

Not at all. In fact, our Webmaster doesn't own any guns at the moment! It's not what's in your hand that makes you an Amendment II Democrat; it's what's in your principles and convictions.

Activists and lawmakers such as Sarah Brady, Carolyn McCarthy, and Ted Kennedy all have loved ones who were killed or severely injured by gun violence. What do you say to these people?

First of all, we share your grief and sorrow, and we offer our sincere condolences.

We know that you're involved in gun-control activism because you sincerely believe that what you're doing is important and necessary to the safety and well-being of our nation. And many of you have intensely personal reasons for continuing the fight.

We, as Amendment II Democrats, are bound by a different covenant than the one that governs the Brady Campaign, the Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence, and Americans for Gun Safety. But our ultimate goals are not that much different from yours. We also want to create an America where people are safe from gun violence in their homes, schools, and places of business. We also believe that the gun industry needs to be regulated sensibly and firmly. And we also believe in educating people about gun violence and gun safety. On these issues, we can find much in the way of common ground.

Our main point of contention is when activists and legislators decide they want to prevent law-abiding citizens from gaining access to firearms, promoting such efforts as crime-reduction initiatives or even as public health issues. We reject the paradigm that dictates all civilian firearms must be designed strictly for hunting and/or sporting purposes, leaving all other guns in the hands of those who are in a position to violate the public trust.

Neither pragmatism nor changing political climates have had any effect on our position regarding the right to keep and bear arms. It would be the easy way out to suggest that the Democratic National Committee drop gun control from its platform simply because their candidates are having trouble defeating Republican neo-conservatives. Instead, we believe that responsible gun ownership is in harmony with the mission and the goals of the Democratic Party, provided that we wisely interpret the Second Amendment to support individual rights as well as collective responsibility.

We believe Benjamin Franklin said it best: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." The enemies of American freedom will do everything within their ability to make you feel afraid and insecure, willing to turn human rights into commodities that can be bartered away. Whatever you do, stand up to those who would deny you and your loved ones the liberty that is rightfully yours. Ne illegitimi carbunculi tibi in facie sint!

schizrade2
12-02-2007, 9:33 PM

:rolleyes:

Yeah sure he would.