PDA

View Full Version : California DOJ Firearms Optional Registration?

kpw001
11-30-2007, 9:18 PM
I came across this form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf) a while back and was wondering what is the point of it? It looks like a registration for any guns you might own but as far as i understand things, aren't all guns registered at the time of sale. I remember reading that long guns are only registered to their dealers, so i guess my shotgun is still registered to Turners i got it from but my pistol is under my name. Any point in shelling out 19 bucks a gun to file this with DOJ? Or is this just another way for them to get money and gather info on us?

1911_sfca
11-30-2007, 9:25 PM
Welcome to Calguns.

That form is for new residents to California, so they can register the handguns that they import with them into the state.

hoffmang
11-30-2007, 9:26 PM
1. Only handguns (and AW's before 2000 and .50 BMGs before 2005) are required to be registered in California. Every handgun purchased in California is now registered to the acquirer.

2. Long guns are not required to be registered and are not registered unless you choose to fill out that form. A Federal form (4473) does have a copy of your serial number and identifying information but legally is only available when tracing a gun found in a crime. CA DOJ has been known to illegally copy information from 4473's in limited amounts at limited times.

You do not need to fill out that form and should not unless you wish to have a handgun registered to you that predated the registration requirement because you wish to take advantage of the CCW wobbler where you will only be charged with a misdemeanor if you are illegally CCWing a handgun registered in your name (an action I would not recommend.)

-Gene

Hunter
11-30-2007, 9:30 PM
Welcome to Calguns.

That form is for new residents to California, so they can register the handguns that they import with them into the state.

Close but not quite. The form you speak of is here. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf

But the content is the same on both forms.

kpw001
11-30-2007, 9:40 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I bought both my guns this year so I'm not giving DOJ any more money, guess I'll just go get more bullets instead.

Outlaw Josey Wales
11-30-2007, 10:43 PM
CA DOJ has been known to illegally copy information from 4473's in limited amounts at limited times.

Have there been any consequences for DOJ's illegal gathering of gun owners information? Limited or not, they're supposed to enforce laws not break them!

hoffmang
11-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Not yet...

-Gene

surprised
12-01-2007, 9:05 PM
Or is this just another way for them to get money and gather info on us?
I think that's what it is.

I had been curious about this form as well. Here (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#25) is the only reference I found on it on the AG site:
"Having a Firearm Ownership Record on file with the DOJ may help in the return of your firearm if it is lost or stolen."