PDA

View Full Version : steel punches to remove barrel bin of AK kit?

swift
11-30-2007, 8:53 PM
After soaking the barrel and pin in solvent for 24 hours, I tried to remove the barrel pin using brass punches. After breaking two, I wonder if I should be using steel punches?

Also, what's the thread and length for the PG?

No matter how this turns out, it's gonna be a lot of fun!

chuck762
12-01-2007, 3:56 AM
Using either an arbor or hydraulic press would be easier than beating it out. But if thats the plan then get a good steel punch just slightly smaller in diameter than the pin. Make sure the punch is just a slightly longer than the pin so the force isn't going into bending or flexing the punch. I like starret brand punches due to the hardened working end and the softer end you hammer on but others will work.
Also back up the trunnion on the other side with a pieve or aluminum or brass so it stays level while brating the snot out of it.

For a while I was on a AK building kick and built 10 and not one of those pins would come out with a hammer. Most came out with the arbor press but a couple required the use of the hyduralic press and a steel dowel pin to et em started.

sloguy
12-01-2007, 6:19 AM
i like leather as a surface to pound on. cause itll support the gun but let the pin punch into it. its easier than trying to line up the other side of the pin into a hole or whatever.

maybe try heat. gently warm the area and then spray penetrating oil at it. the oil will suck into the cracks and hopefully give you a easier time of driving it out. works for alot of things as long as the parts are immune to slight heat. ( for example, dont heat parts that have plastic on them). and you cant over heat the stuff. just get it warm enough thats its hard to touch. no hotter.